carb problems after i messed with it - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2005, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 43278
carb problems after i messed with it

I knew touchin this pandoras box would be a bad bad idea---but I had to mess w/it.

My carb has been runnin ok however has been running way way to rich--to the point of a dark blue smoke stream of unburnt fuel following me everywhere. My next bright idea was to rebuild the carb

I got a hold of a rebuild kit which basically consisted of gaskets--new plunger (passenger side of the carb) and a float needle and seat. I took it apart, replacd the parts given and reassembled after a good shot o carb cleaner w/wipedown. I did not mess w/any other parts other than those mentioned--didnt even remove em--just some carb clean/a blast o air and back togather.

Problem is now when I start it it revvs up to 3500 rpm and slowly climbs as it gets warms. what would cause this, I have messed with the mixture screw--cranked it all the way in and out w/no avail--also backed the idle scre all the way out and removed the throttle cable---in theory this thing shouldnt be runnin right??

The good news is the smell/smoke has gone--bad news is im at 3500 rpm at idle---so what could cause this--would a float being mis-adjusted do this?? where is it appears that either there is to much or to little fuel in the float bowl due to the sight glass---I cant tell if the fuel is above or below the glass--its certantly not in the middle where i assume its supposed to be

any help would be appreciated!!, would a float problem cause this? am i supposed to see the fuel half way in the sight glass?? what does that plunger do on the side of the carb (looks like a mini shock boot on it w/linkage leading back to throttle linkage) and would it affect my idle so drastically?
budgetsami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 39966
Send a message via MSN to utahsamiman
Check to make sure the choke linkage is spot on. Or the thottle plates are being hung open.
The plunger is a accelerator pump. When you step on the gas it just shoots a lil gas into the carb and kinda pre-rev up the engine so to speak. Yeah the fuel level should be right in the line on the window. Of course park on a level surface. However I dont think it would run really at all if it is to low.

After you get this running right. Get that mixture screw back in place and dont touch it again!! Have a mechanic run a manual mode with the emissions machine and get the 02 back to about .75%.

Last edited by utahsamiman; 07-10-2005 at 05:31 PM.
utahsamiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2005, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 43278
all linkage is a-ok, wish it were that simple, everything appears to be in good working condition just as it was prior to my mess. I have tried disconnecting the chock spring, pinning the choke open and the thing really revvs.

the pump seems to be working well, appears the same--moves the same as it did prior to disassembly. The idle mixture screw was messed with prior to me owning it which I hate. I am gettin to the point of trying to locate a stock/unmessed with/working well carb to slap on--however it seems that nobody has one to sell

I have no idea what the problem is still and am frustrated all to hell. I just want my sami to be happy---and not stink!!
Old 07-10-2005, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 48911
I'll tell you what I did with my carb, my dad knows all about that stuff with lots of experience from way back , etc. and he helped me rebuild mine and it worked for 1/2 mile. Then I had to drive back home 8 miles by rapidly pumping the accel. pump for like 30 minutes till I got there. lesson learned: buy a rebuilt carb with warranty from Advance auto. $250. and never mess with all those linkages, just unbolt them from the top of the carb. don't lose the little spacers. jd
p.s. or go TBI
cajunsuzukispider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 48911
you also may have vacuum leaks. don't just put them back where the picture says, replace them with new. Make sure no foreign matter on gasket surfaces either or they won't seal. I'd give you my old one for nothing except that it was running waaaayyyyy rich to the point where it almost didn't run. also there are micro idle switches and wide open throttle switches on the carb. as well as idle up solenoid which may be bad. check your electronic parts with a good haynes manual or chilton.
And definately buy the tools you need cuz you're always gonna need 'em.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 29991
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetsami
My carb has been runnin ok however has been running way way to rich--to the point of a dark blue smoke stream of unburnt fuel
Unburnt fuel always looks black to me, oil looks blue.

Quote:
Problem is now when I start it it revvs up to 3500 rpm and slowly climbs as it gets warms.
Make sure that the throttle cable has some slack in it at the carb with the engine warm. Gotta move about 1/2" at least up'n down.

Quote:
what would cause this, I have messed with the mixture screw--cranked it all the way in and out w/no avail
I think it would be better to call it the IDLE mixture screw, so you won't have unrealistic expectations of it, and so newbies don't think they can adjust the main circuits with the screw.

Quote:
--also backed the idle scre all the way out and removed the throttle cable---in theory this thing shouldnt be runnin right??
Sooo... it isn't a tight cable! In theory you are right. If the idle speed adjust isn't to far in the engine shouldn't run like that. This suggests maybe the screw is in too far OR you have a vacuum leak. Like the other guy said, don't be afraid to buy tools. I bought a $25 vacuum gun and have never been sorry.

Quote:
it appears that either there is to much or to little fuel in the float bowl due to the sight glass
Just find a way to pinch off the fuel while the engine is running (needle-nose vice-grips?). Watch the sight-glass. If it is too high you will soon see the miniscus creep down so you can see it.

Quote:
would a float problem cause this?
Wouldn't expect it, but could be maybe. You have to re-adjust the float level after you replace the needle & seat. And gasket. I have never had any luck using their lil scale to do it. Use it to get close, then adjust by the sight glass.

Quote:
am i supposed to see the fuel half way in the sight glass??
Yeap.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 29991
[Hi-Jack = ON]
If any of you folks have an idle-up solenoid in yer parts box, I could sure use it. Maybe trade other parts, or cold cash.
GeoB
[Hi-Jack = OFF]
Old 07-12-2005, 08:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 43278
woo hoo---its all good. I ttok it apart, inspected everything--readjusted the float and put it back togather. I also adjusted it and it works great. what was the problem you ask---stupidity

In the reattachment of the carb to the manifold my wrench hit the front solenoid (im guessing idle solenoid cause thats what it controlled) bending its bracket, opening the throttle plate and revving it to 3500+

I bent it back---readjusted the float to the closest i could possibly get it to the center of the sight glass and ran it. It seems to have a little more pep and doesnt smoke near as much--even has a better exhaust tone sounding like its running smoother.

it does burn oil and im aware of this (thanks to the quart i put in between oil changes) yet one symptom before the carb rebuild was to the spark plugs which had indications of a rich burn and smelled strongly of fuel.

Would I recommend this to anybody---hell no, there are far to many parts on this damn carb, you really cant tinker with it much and its a pain in the butt to break the screws loose.

thx to all who responded and helped me through this---maybe itll help some newby on a search---yea right newbie search--thats an oxi-moron
Old 07-12-2005, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 39966
Send a message via MSN to utahsamiman
sweet man, good job. I hate over looking the stupid little things
Old 07-14-2005, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 48911
glad to hear it! Mine's still not running.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 43278
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunsuzukispider
glad to hear it! Mine's still not running.
is it a carb problem? do you need help/photos/diagrams of the carb---I have it all and would be willin to help if needed
Old 07-15-2005, 02:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 48911
nah, I wish, then I'd just borrow some money and buy a new carb. Check the thread on top about TBI runs 2 seconds. Probably a low fuel pressure or fuel supply issue. with two fuel pumps you wouldn't think it would be a problem. jd