Need some help with coilovers... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2005, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 38575
Send a message via Yahoo to GRVIT_Hellas
Need some help with coilovers...

Hi , we are going to modify a Samurai.Among the mods,we want to replace leafs and shocks with coilovers.I m not too familiar with coilovers but I know that each one has two coil springs.The question is how can we find what coils to use (how many Lbs each ) and how to combine them together in order to have the same result if we used simple coil springs 200 Lbs ?

Last edited by GRVIT_Hellas; 08-02-2005 at 04:21 PM.
GRVIT_Hellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8111
George if you are looking for a dual rate coil shock you need to look into the folowing venders. They will have what you are looking for. Swayaway racerunner 2" coil over or
King shocks. As far as spring rates, every vehicle will be different based on the weight of the rig. most start with a 150#130# but again it depends on your rig. I would suggest to stay simple and use a a regular 2" coil over spring made by QA1 in a 165#. to 175# one spring at all 4 corners and you should be good. I run coilovers on our buggy and air shocks it takes alot of time to set them up correctly even when you know what you are doing
Rockrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2005, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
TRD
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8286
Are you really in Greece?

If not Call me tomorrow and I will set you straight and answer any questions you have
If you are really in Greece shoot me an email and we will get you squared away

Ryan
805 783 2060
Ryan@PolyPerformance.com
Old 08-02-2005, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 38575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrat
As far as spring rates, every vehicle will be different based on the weight of the rig. most start with a 150#130# but again it depends on your rig. I would suggest to stay simple and use a a regular 2" coil over spring made by QA1 in a 165#. to 175# one spring at all 4 corners and you should be good. I run coilovers on our buggy and air shocks it takes alot of time to set them up correctly even when you know what you are doing
The rig will be a Samurai with a 1.6 Sidekick engine,stock axles (at least for now) front winch bumper and an 8000Lbs winch on 31x10,5x15.When you say 150 130 you mean the lower (longer) coils will be 150 Lbs and the short upper 130 Lbs ?

And the other option if I got it right will be just one spring to a regular 2" coilover ?

Last edited by GRVIT_Hellas; 08-02-2005 at 10:11 PM.
GRVIT_Hellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4877
Send a message via AIM to Squanto
I think Rockrat is saying to keep it more simple then a coilover by useing a seperate shock and coil. Use JUST a coilover SPRING (not the whole setup, JUST the coilover spring) and use one coilover SPRING at each corner, about 165-176 #. Then just use a shock along side the spring.

94 Trackick, dual cases, extended wb, 33's, welded rear, flat bed, still under the knife.
Squanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 38575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto
I think Rockrat is saying to keep it more simple then a coilover by useing a seperate shock and coil. Use JUST a coilover SPRING (not the whole setup, JUST the coilover spring) and use one coilover SPRING at each corner, about 165-176 #. Then just use a shock along side the spring.
Thank you. I agree that this is the best and more simple way.This is the way I did my sas on the kick.It includes more fabricating and welding but I guess this is the reason my friend (mechanic) and the owner want try the coiovers where they will just have to make 4 simple lower axle mounts and 4 reinforced upper ones.Now the set up.....its another story.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4877
Send a message via AIM to Squanto
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRVIT_Hellas
Thank you. I agree that this is the best and more simple way.This is the way I did my sas on the kick.It includes more fabricating and welding but I guess this is the reason my friend (mechanic) and the owner want try the coiovers where they will just have to make 4 simple lower axle mounts and 4 reinforced upper ones.Now the set up.....its another story.
I think another option could be an air shock? From what I know, they eliminate the coil altogether, I think. Don't know much about em, just have seen some pics of em.

94 Trackick, dual cases, extended wb, 33's, welded rear, flat bed, still under the knife.
Squanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11627
Europeans rock

It's nice to see some one from EU also building coil over's for suzuki.
I bought mine (12" SAW dual rate) from Polyperformance. You only need to specify your rig and what kind of use your suzuki is made for.
Polyperformance will assemble after thet everything for you.

My shocks are 185/275 spring rates per shock. Don't know how they are performing as they are still in box but I belive that they are good for my safari and trail rig.

Does anyone know if 12" coilover need to have 2pcs 12" coils?
I have one 12" and other is 10"...

LWB SJ413, Tracker 1.6 8V, tracker tranny/t-case, Sj t-case, trooper power steering, warn M8000 etc etc

Project: SJ423, Volvo C202 "Laplander" axles and gear boxes, volvo B23E 136hp engine, f/r coils, tube body etc etc
TessaL is offline   Reply With Quote