Can you get a 2" lift by buying longer shackels? Please Help - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2002, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10659
Can you get a 2" lift by buying longer shackels? Please Help

I am thinking of going for the Calmini Shackel Reverse which can give the Samurai a two inch lift.

How about longer shackels? I know that I can get longer ones but is it just a 1" lift? The company NCO, said that the 5" shackel can give a 1" lift only.

I am not a hardcore wheeler. I just drive in the pavement.

Last edited by Bridgestone; 03-15-2002 at 11:25 PM.
Bridgestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 10658
Send a message via Yahoo to nate691023
i have double the stock lenght on my sammy[IMG]]http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/28-706896-a4bbccd1.jpeg [/IMG]

but i have notice the longer you go the more the leaf's start to go straight
nate691023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2002, 11:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 10659
Nate, where did you get the shackles at?
Old 03-16-2002, 01:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
A 2 inch lift shackle would have to be 4 inches longer than stock, which is starting to get too long. It'll flatten the springs out and look pretty goofy.
Old 03-16-2002, 03:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 10659
Wilson or someone else.

Am I reading this right? It said that their shackels can raise it two inches. And it is only for $52.00. The Calmini 2" Shackel Reverse is $240.00. Please look at the performance accessories. Thanks in advance for your reply:

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/W_shackles.htm

Last edited by Bridgestone; 03-16-2002 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-16-2002, 04:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 9457
I believe those numbers(1/2", 1" , 2") refer to "longer than stock" not lift. The SR offers other things like pinion angle seeing that it raises both ends of the springs not just the pivot end. Which is why you get the full effect of the lift not just 1/2 because you only lift 1 side of the spring with shackles. It also reverses the shackle to the rear and brings the solid mounting point of the spring to the front improving the ride. It is not hard to install. There is a write up on IZOOK. Jim
redidbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 05:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 6634
Send a message via ICQ to DougO Send a message via AIM to DougO
Bridgestone, I dont know what you have to spend or what your looking for, but if your looking for just a little lift to make it look better, Call national spring, order their 3" lift springs, or call northcoast offroad, get thier 4" BDS springs, drop drag link(new no core), U-Bolts and get a set of bushings, if yours arent re usable. You'll then need shocks, and maybe brakelines(should replace them).

If its a street truck, those things will give it a better look. and arent difficult to install. Except for possibly having to cut the spring bolts, so have a sawzall

This is a great place for info, but these guys are into the HARD Core stuff for more basic little stuff, go check out the offroad.com BBS boards. There are more people there that have stock and semi modified rigs, more like what you are wanting to do.

Minor suspension upgrades to these guys kinda makes um

hope any of this helps
DougO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Those numbers are referring to the length of the shackle and not the lift provided by it. There's no way they could get away with producing an 8" shackle, that's huge, too much leverage. I would go for the shackle reversal kit, it will ride a lot better and function well off road. You'll probably need to get a new front driveline as well if you do it.
Old 03-18-2002, 08:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 8492
I bought a 2" shackle reversal used off a guy on the bbs. Got CASPER up enough to put a pair of 30x9.5 on. I go muddin and also drive her daily to work. Cheap and easy to install and dont look half bad.

87 ZUK (CASPER)
Trail Tough f/ bumper & Bad Boy nurfys, Skyjacker stabe, 2" shackle rev, 30x9.5 BFG mt/r on 2.5 b/s stars Jensen for the jams

Last edited by HEDO; 03-18-2002 at 08:16 PM.
HEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 04:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 10725
2 years ago I made up some longer shackles as a temporary lift.
They are still on my zuke because they are still going strong after 2 years of of ABUSE! I mean many many miles of offroad travel. The length of these shackels(8 in.) has not yet caused any damage or discomfort yet! So to answer your question, yes you can use longer shackles for your needs but other things MUST be checked and changed.(i do not use stock springs)etc.. here's a pic.

http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthrea...6-IMAGE122.jpg
Old 03-19-2002, 06:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 3785
Go with the Calmini kit, I ran one on my Zuk when she was a daily driver for 4 years. Better road manners then stock. Or, if you got a little more money saved go with Old Man Emu springs or National. Stock Suzuki springs don't ride very well no matter what you attach to 'em.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 10797
I just put some on mine two days ago. It took about 30 min with a lift and air tools. I didn't measure before/after but I think it raised it about 1.5-2. It looked really high right after but everything has settled a little. Handling has changed noticable for the worst. Kind of squirelly on the f-way so I don't go there. All and all a very cheap. very easy lift. The front shackles are a little goofy looking but I painted them black. I got mine from www.4wheelparts.com. I went to there store here in town $50 out the door for all 4 corners. good luck. I could send you some pictures. email me I check that more ofter jrickey@piercefire.org
Old 03-21-2002, 12:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 6668
The first lift I used on my rig was longer shackles... 2.25" of actual lift. These monsters acted as another bumper and gave a new meaning to the word 'bumpsteer'! Without a panhard bar, these shackles caught every rut in the road and made street driving really ugly.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2002, 07:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 10659
Thank you for everyone replies.

I think I am going to get longer shackles and some after market lift springs.

Ricky, your handling. I was kind of like researching the shackles stuff on the Internet. Did you replace your rubber bushings to poly bushings? I think I am going to buy the poly bushings. I read this about the shackle lift and I pasted it:

Extended Shackles

Installing longer shackles is one of the easiest modifications that can be made to a Samurai. By simply replacing the stock shackles with a set of longer, stronger ones, up to 2 inches of lift - enough for 225/75 tires - can be had at minimal cost and complication. A pair of longer shackles can also be used front or rear to level out an uneven front/rear suspension height. A little increase in articulation and a slightly smoother ride come as a result of a shackle lift, due to more distance between the axle and the bumpstops. The tradeoffs to using longer shackles are the facts that like a shackle reversal; the ends of the springs are pushed down lower to the ground, hurting the approach and departure angles. Also, a little increase in wander in the steering can be felt, since the front axle gets rolled forward, reducing the caster. Due to the slight change in suspension height, the steering geometry is changed enough to cause a minor amount of bump steer. Longer shackles also allow for the springs to have more leverage against the shackle bushings, adding a bit more "slop" to the handling. Oftentimes this is imperceptible, but the use of polyurethane bushings to replace the factory rubber bushings can help minimise this. It is for these reasons that shackles more than 4 inches longer than stock are strongly discouraged. Remember if you buy a shackle that is 2" longer than stock it gives you a 1" lift as it is only on one end of the spring. Nobody in Australia produces extended shackles to my knowledge so if you would like a set checkout the Rocky Road, Petroworks or Trail Tough sites on the web or build your own.

Last edited by Bridgestone; 03-21-2002 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-22-2002, 07:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 10797
I was looking for a set of new bushings yesterday. I watched the flex in the shackles/bushings the otherdyay while dry steering and its easy to see why the thing wonders all over the place. I think the poly bushings would made a good improvement. Bump steering is also alot worse. JCwhipme has them for about 13 bones.