mercedes steering - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2005, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 44002
mercedes steering

I am installing the mercedes arms and modifying my steering to ott accordingly. Problem is that with my yj springs the tie rod cant mount from the bottom to the arms. Thought I would just drill the arms and flip the tie rod drag link etc. Do the arms really have to be tapered? I was just going to drill out the taper and mount. I don't want cross over only so the drag link has to go ott. Any comments appreciated.
texxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2005, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 44987
Yes!!!! They are an interference fit so the taper is very necessary. Ive had a lot of lowered vw bugs, and it is a common practice to flip the tie rod ends on those..... You drill the arm out, then press in a tapered insert from the other side to make it work. You might go and check at a VW place near you or on the internet and see if the size / taper is the same. Could luck out. The brand is Bugpack.
airwerks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2005, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 44002
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwerks
Yes!!!! They are an interference fit so the taper is very necessary. Ive had a lot of lowered vw bugs, and it is a common practice to flip the tie rod ends on those..... You drill the arm out, then press in a tapered insert from the other side to make it work. You might go and check at a VW place near you or on the internet and see if the size / taper is the same. Could luck out. The brand is Bugpack.
I guess a machine shop could handle that couldn't they?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 44987
I would vote yes but it looks like you got a better answer over on zuwharrie! I didn't know that other companies besides bugpack made the insert.
airwerks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2005, 09:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 44002
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwerks
I would vote yes but it looks like you got a better answer over on zuwharrie! I didn't know that other companies besides bugpack made the insert.
Yeah, but the reamer is like $75-.. I'm going to pull the arms and see what a machine shop can do. Looks like something that is not that uncommon to race cars and 4x4's. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
turd-polish-a-go-go

Member # 49404
the point of using mercedes arms is keeping the project low buck. reamer is expensive. machine shop work can be also. other option would be to use rod ends and a grade 8 bolt, which would allow you to drill the taper out entirely. rod ends will be fine if the angles are not too extreme. they cost money too, though. will the mercedes arms still fit if they are flipped and reversed, i.e. left to right?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 31331
fuck its your steering spend a few extra bucks
hammer #1155

Last edited by zuknstien; 11-03-2005 at 10:02 PM.
zuknstien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2005, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 44002
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackSambo
the point of using mercedes arms is keeping the project low buck. reamer is expensive. machine shop work can be also. other option would be to use rod ends and a grade 8 bolt, which would allow you to drill the taper out entirely. rod ends will be fine if the angles are not too extreme. they cost money too, though. will the mercedes arms still fit if they are flipped and reversed, i.e. left to right?
Won't fit if you flip them as they also angle up and would then angle down. Down is the problem. If a machine shop can't ream it and press in new sleeves then I'll go to the heim joints. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.