MISSING LINKS???????? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2001, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 6630
Send a message via ICQ to mudmagnet
Question MISSING LINKS????????

Ok, when i put the rear springs up front with the missing link shackels will i have to do anything with the drive shafts??? what about the steering??? and with that much flex do i need longer break lines? or can i just drop them down a bit?

Now the rear, any drive shaft mods???, break lines???

i have a late 1987 sami with the duel rear break lines. it has a 2" lift and 31" tires, i might be adding 2" more but the rear springs will give it 1" more in the front....... how much lift will the 78 cj springs give it in the rear?

88' samurai, 31" trail masters, 15x8" rims, 2" lift

"if you don't get stuck your not having fun..."
mudmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 7606
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mudmagnet:
[QB]Ok, when i put the rear springs up front with the missing link shackels will i have to do anything with the drive shafts???

Depends. 2" Missing Links with rear springs will only give you about 1.5" of actual lift. Depending on how you position your axle, you be stratch things out a bit, or might still be in stock position. Depends on what you have now and where you go with the axle.

>what about the steering???

The steering system itself? It'll be affected in as much as you are increasing the lift slightly. Just don't push the axle too far forward if you relocate it and and the steering system won't bind up.

>and with that much flex do i need longer break lines?

Depends on what you have. The standard 7" longer brake lines should be fine unless you are using lifted rear springs for the front of your vehicle. If you need though, you can cut the mount bracket and lower it an inch or so on the frame.

>Now the rear, any drive shaft mods???, break lines???

Same deal on brake lines. Same deal on driveshafts as well. Depends on if you need something to compensate for the little bit of extra lift and/or if you relocate the axle backward a bit.

>how much lift will the 78 cj springs give it in the rear

Cj springs depending on their condition, will give you about 1.5-2" over stock height springs on the rear.

Hope this helps.
Rocky Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2001, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 6630
ok ,i don't want to drill a new certre bolt in the springs......so how much will the axle be moved forward??? any driveshaft mods needed??? and i'll use the stock rear springs....stock cj spring,

Do you have to drill the new centre bolt??? i thought you leave it alone, and it moves your axle......???.....

Old 10-18-2001, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7606
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mudmagnet:
[QB]ok ,i don't want to drill a new certre bolt in the springs......so how much will the axle be moved forward???

Depends on the spring you use. A spring that is 3" longer than stock will move the center point by 1.5". Redrilling the springs is no big deal as long as you keep the original hole within the confines of the spring pads and spring plates.

>any driveshaft mods needed???

If you move your axle forward 1.5"? Most certainly. Move it back to the stock position, and probably not.

>Do you have to drill the new centre bolt???

You either do that, or your redill the spring pads and ubolts plates. Both accomplish the same thing.

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: Rocky Road ]
Rocky Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 6630
thanks, but i think i'll leave it stock length without drilling them......it'll give me more room for my tires, they rub on the body now even after some trimming....