3/4Ton Chevy Steering - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 30108
3/4Ton Chevy Steering

I looked all through the Dana swap stuff and did a search.

Im putting 3/4Ton Chevy axles under my Sammy 10blt/14blt. So I figured why not just use the 3/4 ton steering pump and Box? Has anyone done this? I mean,,, I got the shit for practicly nothing so I think Ill fab some mounts and crap this weekend. I think I might try to use the 3/4Ton master cylinder and booster too. I havent really looked at it all yet,,,, Im extending the frame out front 10" still.
HUMZUKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 14812
I'd use it. Maybe not the mastercylinder though.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 30108
Sweet dude got any pic's or tips? How did you run the drag link? Did you use the Stock Chevy shortass arm that stays on the driverside?
Old 03-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7936
Send a message via MSN to mud-magnet
i would use a 2wd chevy box..... i'm runnign toy axle with a nissan box but i'm using a pump off my parts tow rig.... it would be the same pump as yours only with an external res... still the same sagnaw pump..... as for mounts i ended up making a mount to go on where the stock kick ps pump went and the top mount is welded to the exhosh manifold... ... its the only place i could put it so i did....
Old 03-22-2006, 07:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 30108
Im not all that familiar with domestic shit. So what would the z link go too? It looks like If I flipped the lower draglink around so the side with the hole in it is on the passenger side I could run the Z- Link to that, but thats really low and I dont think Id want to drive it on the street like that if I try to keep it streetable. Would that be safe? Theres no king pin on that nuckle for an arm
Old 03-22-2006, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 14812
No Z-link just straight and a right to left box, instead of the front to back. Don't connect to the J arm but to the pass. side. 2wd box works great. Wished I took pix of the '71 Chebby I did.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 30108
So,,Ill pick up a 2wd box(left/right). But I still dont understand what your conecting the upper drag link/Z-link to? Im talkin the link between the pitman arm and the axle,,just to clarify.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 48911
you should see what I built. you need to keep the tie rod and drag link parallel to each other to steer like stock and steer the same with the same amount of drop at each side. I got a 10 bolt full width chevys on my samurai and I use the stock master cylinder, brake lines, stock banjo bolt, and I stop my 39.5" IROKS just fine. I use 89 blazer calipers, which are almost always misboxed anywhere you go. so you'll have to pull them all to find a right and a left that fit the stock sammy banjo bolt. there are 3 different chevy 1/2 ton calipers, distinguished by the banjo bolt. one fits suzuki perfectly, one is the right diameter but wrong thread, and the other is a bigger diameter.
I also have at least 30" travel at each wheel right now, and I'll soon have 72". and I won't even have to modify my brakes anymore. I lost all my pics when my old laptop crashed, but I can take new ones if you want to see. I'm in New orleans right now painting, but I'll be going home to Lafayette on the weekend. It's all in how you route your brake lines.
I could use a slightly larger master cylinder, though. sometimes I gotta 'prepump' real quick on the pedal and then she holds great. jd
cajunsuzukispider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 48911
I forgot to mention that I use a stock sammy 'box, and a stock drag link, and it steers like stock and handles great on the road. I got 11" of suspension lift and I make up for it in a way that most people wouldn't think of. that's what you'll probably want the pictures of. I'll go to a separate full hydraulic setup for off road. and both systems will be in place at the same time, I just gotta decide which one I want to use.
cajunsuzukispider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 30108
Dude if you can get pic's that would be awsome!!! You can kinda see what I got going here

http://photobucket.com/albums/d17/HU...mage&test=test

Thats a ass end of a frame I chopped up to see if I might be able to use for the extension. Screw that,,,,Its just sitting on there not even tacked, Im just gona fab it all up with stock. The axle is sitting about where I want it though about a 10" extention and Ill fab totaly new rear mounts aswell. With the rear spring extentions I cooked up it should have about a 100"WB
Old 03-29-2006, 12:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 30622
dont hook your drag link to your tie rod. it will suck. look at the drivers side steering knuckle. there are three bolts on the top of it that hold the stock chevy steering arm. you need to get a flat top passenger side knuckle from a dana 44. it will fit on your 10 bolt, and you can have it drilled and tapped with a mirror image of the 3 bolt pattern on the drivers side knuckle. then you can bolt on a crossover steering arm for a chevy, and you will have a good setup. i hope this makes sense, as i may have had too many beers already. -marty

on edit: you will not need a z-link with this setup. you can buy spacers/raised steering arms so that your drag link will be straight, which is a more proper setup.

another edit:go here and look at how they do it on chevys. it will give you an idea about what you need to do. http://coloradok5.com/crossoversteering.shtml

Last edited by martyfowler; 03-29-2006 at 12:55 AM.
martyfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 30108
NICE!!!!! THANKS BRO!!! Thats what I didnt get. No one has ever metioned using a D44 Knuckle I didnt know it would fit. That makes an ishload of sence.