I need an output shaft!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 29930
Location: Winchester VA, USA Its America, why should I have to press 1 for English!!
I need an output shaft!!

This was an expensive weekend.

I'm sure it has happened before, but I've never heard of, or seen an output shaft snap like this. I figured that the driveshaft ujoints or something else would go first. I'm running a shortened Toyota CV shaft and Toyota Axles.

I was climbing a hill in 1st and caught a rock that made the rear jump, when I felt the jump I backed off, but the tire was in the air came down and the shock load was too great and BAM.

It was a clean break and I got strapped to level ground and was able to make it back to camp on front wheel drive so I have confidence that nothing else in the case is damaged.

So, I need an output shaft to replace the snapped one in my transfer case.

Would the shaft out of a 2WD transfer case work to spare a 4wd case ?

Who could sell me one?
Old 06-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 26
It's a common failure. Get a new Chromoly shaft from Bobby Long. Much stronger than stock.
Chris Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 29930
Location: Winchester VA, USA Its America, why should I have to press 1 for English!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Geiger
It's a common failure. Get a new Chromoly shaft from Bobby Long. Much stronger than stock.
A Chromoly output shaft for A Samurai transfer case? Never knew something like this existed.

If one existed then it would be the way to go but this is the first I have heard of it.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 9464
I have one if you haven't found one yet. Send it to 66CJDEAN here on Pirate(Performance Cryogenics) and get it Cryo'd. Doubt you'll break it then

Sean (All the cool guys are doin it!) DeVinney

“President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,” Clint Eastwood

"This is the greatest wealth destruction I have seen by a president [obama]." Jim Cramer
AFTERMARKET4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 29930
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTERMARKET4X4
I have one if you haven't found one yet. Send it to 66CJDEAN here on Pirate(Performance Cryogenics) and get it Cryo'd. Doubt you'll break it then

Sean (All the cool guys are doin it!) DeVinney
P.M. me with info on getting ahold of a replacement shaft.

I found it odd that I have never seen this type of a breakage where it just snapped off, I'm only running a 1.6-8v, 6:1 in the transfer case, and 4.10 gears in the Toyota axles and 36" tires. I know others are running much higher HP/torque vehicles than I am and this hasn't happened.

After further investigation of this, I found the rear CV joint broken inside and bound up, I guess when I bounced I unloaded the suspension past the working angle of the driveshaft and it broke inside the CV and locked up the joint.

With the CV and driveshaft unable to turn the force just sheared off the output shaft. I don't think that even a cryo'd shaft would have helped in this situation, but I will consider having the replacement done to add to the strength. The price seem reasonable, I just hope the wait isn't long.

So now I get to put in a new rear driveshaft also.