Ratcheting noise from the t-case??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10649
Ratcheting noise from the t-case???

Have any of you ever had a ratcheting noise coming from the t-case while coasting in 2H? The rear drive shaft is spankin' new and the t-case has new 4.16:1 gears and new bearings.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 48911
could be the u-joint maxed out if you got a lot of lift, banging around.
I assume you put in thrust washers on the counter shaft?
it's also a good possibility that you have a loose nut on the pinion at the rear end and when you coast it moves to interfere with the diff case. I've had it before. take off your driveshaft and make sure that nut underneath is at least 150 lbs torque. if you go higher, you risk changing the contact pattern. I think they use about 250lbs of torque to crush the sleeve to set the pinion depth correctly. I was told by a 4wd shop here to just retorque to about 150 if I had to remove the yoke, or flange, or whatever you got. I have a chevy rearend now with a custom flange with a front chevy cv joint on it. and a dana/spicer cv at the top by the t-case.
don't ask me why, but it's got samurai tube and spline in the middle of all that. it's almost funny.
cajunsuzukispider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2006, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 10649
So you're running dual CVs on the rear???

I swapped in my spare case today and the noise was still present. I also swapped in my spare 3rd and the noise was still present. I rebuilt the trans not long ago so I don't think it's the source of the noise. I'm thinking now that it's my rear d-shaft making the noise. I'm running a toy rear and I think the offset is more than the CV can handle. I do have the pinion pointed at the output on the t-case and the vibes are really not that bad. But the noise does not sound good at all.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 8375
Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy...
I want in on this thread as well. My t-case makes the same sound. 6.5's all new bearings and seals when installed. Made the sound from day one and still makes it. In the instructions they are just a plug and play item. Should on actually put shims in there check it to have good contact from gear cluster to gear cluster and proper wear patterns? Could that be the problem?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 21555
Send a message via Yahoo to Little Red Zuk
I know mine makes the same kinda noise too, but I don't think it's the rear driveshaft u-joints... Had to recently drive without the rear shaft thanks to an auto-eject tailshaft nut, and still had it driving on front axle. New bearings are going in the case this weekend, but maybe tranny??
Little Red Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3553
Send a message via AIM to FreakAccident
Mine does it too. It's the shaft between the tcase and tranny. Ujoints are fine too. I just ignore it.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 10649
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakAccident
Mine does it too. It's the shaft between the tcase and tranny. Ujoints are fine too. I just ignore it.
Do you (or anyone else here) think that this could be caused by a worn tailshaft bushing in the trans? This is the one part that did not come with the rebuild kit when I rebuilt my trans.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 8375
Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy...
Well I see how it might. Mine does leak from the rear tailshaft of the tranny. I just thought the new gears aren't made to proper specs and actually needed shimmed somewhere to get better contact. Since it only does it to me in 2wd I was thinking the intermediate shaft? 4wd engages this thus making it quiet and 2wd doesn't.Who knows, Still running good though, just noisey.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 3553
Send a message via AIM to FreakAccident
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo
Do you (or anyone else here) think that this could be caused by a worn tailshaft bushing in the trans? This is the one part that did not come with the rebuild kit when I rebuilt my trans.
Im not sure but it's quite possible I suppose. Mine leaks even after I have changed the seal out. It doesn't seem to hurt anything so I will just continue to ignore it until something breaks.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 12401
Send a message via AIM to Pappa Smurf
Front output shaft!
Old 09-12-2006, 12:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 14812
Suzuki says tail shaft housing is a non-serviceable item. But new bushings can be found and fixes a leaking new rear seal:
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2006, 12:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 48911
yeah, sorry to be gone so long, just moved to Ga. I got dual cv's on my rear driveshaft. I'm running a chevy full size axle front and rear, and the diff is offset more than the suzuki axle. so I played it safe and dual'd it. there's not much shaft left, though. I got some pics of all that if anyone gives me an email address I'll send the pics. Bildo, you said the other chunks made the same noise, but they come out and go in without having to take off the pinion nut, did you check to see if those were tight also? just pull and push on the pinion gear to see if it's loose.
jd
also, with lower gears, you're gonna have more gear noise, I had the 4.89:1 from petroworks, it made more noise, but it was like a whine, not a ratchet.
I'm assuming you don't have any damaged gear teeth in anything?
if the intermediate shaft were responsible, then it would make noise in 2 or 4wd, forward or reverse, right?
you say the pinion on the toy rear is pointed to the case, so the cv is on top then? technically, you should point the pinion down slightly so that the angle on the u-joint there is about 1-2 degrees. then, when you get on the gas pedal the pinion comes up slightly because of the torque, and you get that 0 degrees that you want.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 19000
Send a message via AIM to hcgalvin Send a message via Yahoo to hcgalvin
Mine has had a ratcheting/griding/growling noise for 3 years. Ever since I went SAS with dual tcases. I've had two different rear axles, different drivelines, even a different sammy case and kicker 3 case. And it still does it. It does it while coasting, from about 35mph +.

I would PAY anyone 50 bucks if they could come, look at my truck and tell me exactly what it is and how to fix it.

I've been told it's the tcase, I've been told it's the drivelines, and I've been told it's my tranny.

I imagine I should get a CV rear driveline, but if I spend the money and do it, and it doesn't fix it it'll piss me off.

2005 Grand Vitara
Sidekick's gone...
2001 GV on hold because it likes to drink oil excessively and release it with much fanfare out of the tailpipe.
hcgalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 5832
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgalvin
Mine has had a ratcheting/griding/growling noise for 3 years. Ever since I went SAS with dual tcases. I've had two different rear axles, different drivelines, even a different sammy case and kicker 3 case. And it still does it. It does it while coasting, from about 35mph +.

I would PAY anyone 50 bucks if they could come, look at my truck and tell me exactly what it is and how to fix it.

I've been told it's the tcase, I've been told it's the drivelines, and I've been told it's my tranny.

I imagine I should get a CV rear driveline, but if I spend the money and do it, and it doesn't fix it it'll piss me off.

It's just gotta be the transmission. Mine started doing this years and years ago, and I was sure it was the transfer case, for some reason. (why, I can't even remember )

Subsequent following years did a spring over, swapped in all new t-case low gears C/W bearings, thrust washers, new toy CV driveshaft, locker, tranny to t-case midshaft u-joints, etc., etc., etc.

...It's louder than ever now
UZI 9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 48911
I've been driving a samurai on the street since 1990. 3 different ones. I abused them all. I've never had that noise you all talk about except when coasting, and then it was a loose pinion nut that was letting the pinion head hit the diff carrier.
I think you all need to rebuild everything
seriously, I need to go think now....
Old 09-22-2006, 05:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 10649
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKIE ZUK
Suzuki says tail shaft housing is a non-serviceable item. But new bushings can be found and fixes a leaking new rear seal:
I finally found some time today to investigate this a little further and I think this bushing is the culprit. It's the only non-new part in my drivetrain and the only part that has some slop. Where did you locate this bushing?