FJ80 Axles - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2006, 07:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 64778
FJ80 Axles

Anyone running FJ80 axles in their Sami, i have been considering these for a while and was wanting some input. I know some of the benefits are the larger birfs (compared to Toy truck axles), larger ring gear, full floater rear, pass side drop, high pinion fronts, and some have e-lockers f & r. Anyone have any negative comments or words of advice, regarding these axles.

Any pictures (*PAGING HCGALVIN*) of Sami's with FJ80's under them, i'm curious as to how wide it will turn out??
Okiyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 19000
Send a message via AIM to hcgalvin Send a message via Yahoo to hcgalvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiyota
Anyone running FJ80 axles in their Sami, i have been considering these for a while and was wanting some input. I know some of the benefits are the larger birfs (compared to Toy truck axles), larger ring gear, full floater rear, pass side drop, high pinion fronts, and some have e-lockers f & r. Anyone have any negative comments or words of advice, regarding these axles.

Any pictures (*PAGING HCGALVIN*) of Sami's with FJ80's under them, i'm curious as to how wide it will turn out??
You paged me?

I don't have a sammy.

EDIT: Oh, ok, I can give some general input..

If you're going to get FJ80 axles, look for an FZJ80 (94-97) - you'll have higher probability of e-lockers and high pinion.

The three hangups you might have with these axles is finding them cheap - setting up manual hubs - and figuring out what to do about steering. If you want to keep the steering arm low - it's probably fine. I guess if you do coils you might be able to accomplish that. However, if you want Hi Steer - they're not the same as standard toyota steering arm mounts. In the past, you've been able to take the 4 bolt steering arm off the bottom of the housing and put it on the top, because the top was 4 bolt, as well. The FJ80 uses two big bolts on the top, and 4 bolts on the bottom. OTT can correct this for you, though. You send them your birf housing and they modify it and make you an arm.

Also, the tie rod is behind the axle - which is really neat.

As for putting manual hubs on them, IF you use FZJ80 axles, you'll need to modify the front axle shaft a little - you'll have to make the groove the circlip sits in within the hub wider, and then you'll be able to put manual AISIN/Toyota hubs on it. A lot of guys leave the circlip OFF, they say it doesn't do anything anyway -but me and my husband were safe, we widened the groove in the axle.
This thread explains the differences, the guys say they don't use the circlip.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=152005

As for elockers - get the brain if you can, if not, make your own.

2005 Grand Vitara
Sidekick's gone...
2001 GV on hold because it likes to drink oil excessively and release it with much fanfare out of the tailpipe.

Last edited by hcgalvin; 10-10-2006 at 08:25 AM.
hcgalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2006, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 64778
HAHA...my bad, you have a Sidekick on FJ's, i forgot.

Thanks for all the info though, huge help.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 19000
Send a message via AIM to hcgalvin Send a message via Yahoo to hcgalvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiyota
HAHA...my bad, you have a Sidekick on FJ's, i forgot.

Thanks for all the info though, huge help.
FJ80 axles are 63" wide. Maybe that'll help some? You could compare the width to other axles, and pictures.

2005 Grand Vitara
Sidekick's gone...
2001 GV on hold because it likes to drink oil excessively and release it with much fanfare out of the tailpipe.
hcgalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 64778
yeah, they're 5" wider than the 86-95 Toy truck axles, i'm thinking it will be pretty damn wide.

Now that i think about it...the Waggy 44's are 62.5 wms to wms, correct? That was another route that i was debating.

Last edited by Okiyota; 10-10-2006 at 09:43 AM.