Coilover vs airshock question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2006, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 61423
Coilover vs airshock question

trying to find out if some of you have ran both airshocks and coilovers and what do you think of them both. My rig is almost finished and I elected to go with Fox 16" 2.0 airshocks in the rear along with my 4 link. I was talking to a guy today and he said he has ran both the airshocks and coilovers and he likes the coilovers better, something about they rebound less. I believe he was now running the dual springs.

Another question I would have is if I did change my mind and went with Coilovers, what spring rate would you recomend for a tubed sami and any other information too, such as the valving and other specs. 4 Wheel parts quoted me $900.00 for 2ea dual rate Sway Away Coilovers. I spent $400.00 on the 2ea Fox air shocks. I can seel those but wanted to know, if there is that big of a diference between the coilovers and the stand alone airshocks.

Thanks much.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA
trying to find out if some of you have ran both airshocks and coilovers and what do you think of them both. My rig is almost finished and I elected to go with Fox 16" 2.0 airshocks in the rear along with my 4 link. I was talking to a guy today and he said he has ran both the airshocks and coilovers and he likes the coilovers better, something about they rebound less. I believe he was now running the dual springs.

Another question I would have is if I did change my mind and went with Coilovers, what spring rate would you recomend for a tubed sami and any other information too, such as the valving and other specs. 4 Wheel parts quoted me $900.00 for 2ea dual rate Sway Away Coilovers. I spent $400.00 on the 2ea Fox air shocks. I can seel those but wanted to know, if there is that big of a diference between the coilovers and the stand alone airshocks.

Thanks much.

Look up slowandold in the vendor section, I paid half what 4 wheel parts quoted you. I'd run 2" shocks, 14" travel with no res and standard rockcrawling valving. Remove the second oil bypass screw. For spring rates 130/200 or 130/175 works pretty good for the rear end. QA1 springs from Summit Racing or Jegs run about $35 ea (last set I got from Jegs was $33ea). I typed up my imppressions of coilover vs. airshock and posted it to my webpage if you are interested in some reading.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2006, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 62945
Chris,

I noticed you went back to coil-overs, but never saw on your site where you talked about switching back. Where is it located? I the project Hellraiser write-up, or somewhere else?

Thanks - JP
JPinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinAZ
Chris,

I noticed you went back to coil-overs, but never saw on your site where you talked about switching back. Where is it located? I the project Hellraiser write-up, or somewhere else?

Thanks - JP
Tech section under 4 link primer.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 61423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrckcrawler
Look up slowandold in the vendor section, I paid half what 4 wheel parts quoted you. I'd run 2" shocks, 14" travel with no res and standard rockcrawling valving. Remove the second oil bypass screw. For spring rates 130/200 or 130/175 works pretty good for the rear end. QA1 springs from Summit Racing or Jegs run about $35 ea (last set I got from Jegs was $33ea). I typed up my imppressions of coilover vs. airshock and posted it to my webpage if you are interested in some reading.
The Fox shocks I have are 16" and I'm pretty sure my fabricator has already designed the rear end for the 16" shocks. Would a 16" coilover fit the same? Why would the 14" be better? I read your tech article and seems like there was alot of adjusting to get the perfect ride (not too much roll, not too much stiffness). I also have YJ leafs in the front to give me additional stability and less roll. Maybe I will take it over to your house one day and let you drive it and see if you can help me with the fine tuned adjustments . You're East Valley so even hitting some close trails is an option. I'm a stones throw from Sycamore Creek and the Coves.

Last edited by ZONA; 10-25-2006 at 07:21 PM.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 908
I went with rockequipment shocks with coils in the back of my zuk (4linked - search for 'fat rear end').

I ended up with 90/110lb coils to get ride height where I wanted it at. The rear is so dang light at the moment. I haven't added any sheet metal to rear yet, so hopefully it will not change the rate much..
Old 10-26-2006, 06:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA
The Fox shocks I have are 16" and I'm pretty sure my fabricator has already designed the rear end for the 16" shocks. Would a 16" coilover fit the same? Why would the 14" be better? I read your tech article and seems like there was alot of adjusting to get the perfect ride (not too much roll, not too much stiffness). I also have YJ leafs in the front to give me additional stability and less roll. Maybe I will take it over to your house one day and let you drive it and see if you can help me with the fine tuned adjustments . You're East Valley so even hitting some close trails is an option. I'm a stones throw from Sycamore Creek and the Coves.

I got rid of my airshocks because adjusting them for lots of uptravel was a PITA so you couldn't pay me enough to touch yours. The reason for the 14" is in the article: the lightest 16" coil I could find was a 200lb/in. If that works for you then 16"s coilovers are pretty much a drop in, just make sure you have enough clearance for the added width of the springs on droop and compression. If you need your ride height lower but still want stiffer springs you can run a shorter upper coil (ie 14" on a 16" coilover or 12" on a 14" coilover). I originally ran 90/110 + tender out back and thought it was too soft, I think I eventually just put the heavier springs on had the coil retainers about at the top (that was on the yellow buggy). The ride quality didn't change much but the heavier springs made cornering better (less body roll).

The latest build I have moved the shock mounts a few times (both when I had airshocks and coilovers). I have yet to find a method to predict the exact ride height with certain coils (and I have to use an educated guess for the weights). Up front I was running 90/175 which was a little too light but gave me the ride height I wanted. I did some math and figured if I dropped the upper coil from a 14" to 12" coil and bumped it's spring rate to 150 I should be pretty close to what I have now. After installing it the front end sits about 2" higher. I need to run it a bit and see if the new coils settle otherwise I can add a tender and screw the upper retainer up higher. The tender would keep the top coil tight on droop but allow me to move the upper retainer up higher so I'd get more ride height adjustment with the chassis at rest.

Zona, come out to TM on Thanksgiving weekend (check the trailrides section) and I can check out your rig then. FWIW I live in Peoria which is on the NW side of town.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 81256
Smile

coil + quarter kit any info pleese
jimmycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 22191
Send a message via MSN to Crab Bait
Arrow

I have 14" coil over in front and 16" in the rear. The fronts having Equal length 110/150 The rears have a combo of 80/110/250

The 110/250 are custom cut springs that I did myself. All in all I bought 9-sets of springs to get what I needed.

You can buy QA-1 in may spring rates and even 'Variable Rate' if you know what you want. QA-1 Springs pdf file

The spring binders are great for last minute adjusting, due to weight transfer -- fat rider freinds.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 81256
I need some help I have a quarter elipticle rear suspention and a coil front is there anyone familar with it I need some help I m not familiar with it. Is it a good swap or should I stay with calmini leaf springs?
jimmycat is offline   Reply With Quote