Spool on the street - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2006, 08:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 78164
Spool on the street

Ok, I'm getting the Toyota axle components together for my rig. My goal is a vehicle that will be very capable off road and still be fun to drive to work occasionally. I'm leaning toward 4.88s on a spool in the front with Longfield birfs. I am still undecided about the back though. I have a lock-right in my sammy and it works fine off road but is a little unpredictable on the street. It's nothing that has ever caused me great concern but it's still there. I know a spool is going to constantly put stress on my axles on the street but at least I would always know what it's going to do. I'm running 33x12.5 MTR's. I'd like to hear from those who are running a spool or welded rear diff that sees some street use. I know the "book answer" is going to be that it's unsafe, but I want to hear first hand experience. ARB is way out of my price range so it really is between a spool and a lock right.
badman14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2006, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 50123
Send a message via AIM to ProJunkRacing
I have Had 3 Trucks with Welded Diff's The First was on 31" At's and that was a K5 . I had No Problem's with it other than it chirpin tire's around corner's.
The Second was my 1 Ton K10 , I drove it on my street lke 10 time's and I never even heard the tire's chirp, granted they were 44" bogger's it was quiet , and controlable . This Truck Now I am not done with but am leaving It welded bc I have not had any problem's and the truck is a dd. So I guess I don't have any issue'd with a spool or a lincoln locker.
ProJunkRacing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2006, 09:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 68458
A buddy of mine has a sammy with yota axles under it running a spool in the rear. He drives it on the road everyday and doesnt have any problems with it. Hes got 33's on it and stock axle shafts. The only thing he doesnt like is how much the tires wear with the spool. The tires bark around tight turns.

I have a welded rear in my sammy with stock axles, its acts the same as my buddys spool. It sees street use but not a whole bunch.

Run the spool or weld it up in the rear, its better than a locker. IMO
TiMe_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 30108
I had a spool in a rear stock with 33's no problems LOVED it. parallel parking's kinda a bitch and it only barked on 90deg turns. on/off ramps you cant even notice it. Didnt notice any extra wear either
HUMZUKI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 60777
Ya like the others say the most your going to notice is maybe a tire or two chirping on tight turns.. Go for it!
Old 12-01-2006, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 79432
Send a message via Yahoo to all_atv
I'm looking for a locker too for my toyota axels at least in the rear for now. Not sure what the gearing is in the axles but i can find out. (do i need to know for ordering a locker?) I will drive to work once in a while but I take it slow so not too worried about street performance. But it deffinatly needs lockers off road. Any suggestions on what to get and some prices to consider? I'm at a loss with lockers!
[COLOR="Blue"][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] 1992 Sami, stock for now. Plans: Spring over and 31's.
all_atv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2006, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 34724
I have welded rear with 33" swampers on toy diffs. the tires wear down pretty good, but I love a wlded rear for sure, way more predictable and you dont have the harshness of engaging and disengaging.

I get nervous in social situations motherfucker!
EHeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2006, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 79432
Send a message via Yahoo to all_atv
I'm looking for a locker too for my toyota axels at least in the rear for now. Not sure what the gearing is in the axles but i can find out. (do i need to know for ordering a locker?) I will drive to work once in a while but I take it slow so not too worried about street performance. But it deffinatly needs lockers off road. Any suggestions on what to get and some prices to consider? I'm at a loss with lockers!
[COLOR="Blue"][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] 1992 Sami, stock for now. Plans: Spring over and 31's.
all_atv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 6668
I see your reasoning for putting the spool up front (you can turn it off for the street by unlocking the hubs), and the LR in the rear to cause less tire wear (than a spool would). I put my first locker in the front when I used my rig as a daily driver and it worked out great for that exact reason. But the lesson I learned on the trail was that now the stronger axle is in the front. you will have to decide on the balance of where you want your strengths. In this case, a larger budget really is the 'easy button'...

Now I run ARB's front and rear so that I don't have to worry about any strange quirks on the street.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 17632
Another vote for welding. Mine is fine on the street aside from the tire noise. I don't really drive it much though, it's just a toy.
Travis..
Old 12-01-2006, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 8687
It snowed here so I'm driving mine to work welded front and rear on toy axles and 33" LTBs. It's nothing to worry about. If your tough enough to be on the PBB then you can drive it on the street.

Increased tire wear shouldn't be an issue either. If you actually wheel your shit you should pop, slice, or wreck the tires some other way long before they get worn down from pounding the pavement.
The word "jones" is a slang term meaning to crave, want, or desire; or, to feel withdrawal from an activity of passion. The general slang meaning is often associated with addictive substance habits but can be applied on a more universal scale.

Last edited by jones; 12-01-2006 at 02:06 PM.
jones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2006, 02:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 34724
^Stupid is smarterer.

I get nervous in social situations motherfucker!
EHeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2006, 07:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 78197
ive got a toy with spool in the rear and a lock right up front.my bosses sami is welded in the rear and lock right in front.like everyone else has said the only notice is the tire bark around corners but like we all say"there is no better sound than a barking tire first thing in the morning"
Old 12-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 8687
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHeye
^Stupid is smarterer.
I'm feeling kind of stupid. What's that supposed to mean?
The word "jones" is a slang term meaning to crave, want, or desire; or, to feel withdrawal from an activity of passion. The general slang meaning is often associated with addictive substance habits but can be applied on a more universal scale.
jones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2006, 10:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 66388
I run a spool in the rear on stock axles and love it offroad. It barks arounds corners an people look at you weird on the street but I don't care. Also makes driving in snow fun as hell!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.