is VW diesel worth it? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 86075
is VW diesel worth it?

just wanted to see if it is that much better thn stock.
vgorilla707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Vocademy founder.

Member # 38100
Send a message via Skype™ to Reflexx
I think so. I'm going to start my 1.9TD conversion in a few months. Double the power, double the torque, smog exemption, reliability, etc, etc...
Reflexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 86075
cost estimate for motor/ kit/ misc? anyone know?
Old 02-07-2007, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 25860
Send a message via AIM to zukiller
The kit will run $815.00, here is a linky:
http://www.rocky-road.com/diesel.html

a motor on the other hand ranges. high mileage really isn't an issue,i have heard some running for about 300,000+, finding one for cheap will be the difficult part though, well finding one will be the difficult part.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12647
Send a message via MSN to TruckTrader
I think it's all about the money. If you're willing to spend the dough for the swap, it's a really nice conversion. I would check into it really good before committing to it though. I would be curious to know what an average 1.9tdi swap costs folks. My guess is that it's a $4,000 dollar swap on average. Just a guess based on what I've seen and heard. I know some folks have bought new motors from VW and spent major cash on the conversion. For my money the 16v seems to be cheaper and easier.

Formula Toyota #034
TruckTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 44135
I too have been researching this subject. I have found a ton of answers to many of my questions at the following sites.

Zuwhawrrie.com, has a whole forum dedicated to diesel samurais.

goto yahoo, then to yahoo groups, search for samurai diesel. More info there.

AcmeAdapters.com seem like the absolutly best source for information and kits. Best service and support as well.

Does it seem worth it? My answer is Yes. if a diesel is what your after. I did a poll here not too long ago and a lot of people chimed in on it.

Finding the engines is the only challenge. The 1.9td would be sweet, but pricey. I may end up going to the 1.6 td and there are a ton of minor mods that can be done to them to make more power without compromising the reliability of them. The above sites can steer you to some vw deisel forums that give tons of mods and sources for parts.
87 Zuk, dana 44's w/5:38 detroits,coils/3 link frt, 3 link rear 37" Krawlers
87 Zuk, SPOA, Lockright/spool, 31" Truxs MT's. shaved and trussed stock axle housings,1.6/w 1.3 head, fuel injected, 4.16 t-case
88.5 Zuk future project pending
catzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 72108
I would try to find an engine first. While you are at it, keep your eyes open for a has 1.6 or 2.0 suzuki engine. Those are your next options.

91 samurai in progress with 2.0, toy trans, dual t-case and ??? axels.

95 in restro progress with 16V and all new
dwkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Vocademy founder.

Member # 38100
Send a message via Skype™ to Reflexx
Up to last year, if you wanted a 1.9TD, your only choice was the "AAZ" engine out of 88-95? Jettas and mostly in Canada or Germany. Now you can use the newer TDI engines. There's a mechanical pump that eliminates having to use the motor/dash/computer combo for the FI system.

I personally want a 1.9 over a 1.6. If I'm going through the trouble of doing this mod, I only want to do it once. I'm keeping my Samurai forever (18 years so far), so I'll spend a little more.
Reflexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 25964
[QUOTE=Reflexx;6459702] Now you can use the newer TDI engines. There's a mechanical pump that eliminates having to use the motor/dash/computer combo for the FI system.
QUOTE]

Could you direct us to that mechanical pump? I'd be curious to read more about that.

Last edited by lebowski; 02-08-2007 at 05:39 PM.
lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30839
'pane it and be done.
Carry on

Bulletproof, complete propane kits for carbureted offroad and street vehicles.
Please visit our website for details or call with any questions. 480-430-8033

Free shipping on complete kits!

www.gotpropane.com

Check us out on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/gotpropane?
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 44135
please explain! I understand propane injection as an additional mod, along with water and nitrious. Are you saying just use a gas motor with propane, or the diesel with the propane?
87 Zuk, SPOA, Lockright/spool, 31" Truxs MT's. shaved and trussed stock axle housings,1.6/w 1.3 head, fuel injected, 4.16 t-case
Old 02-09-2007, 05:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30839
I specifically came up with a kit for the gas engine because of the complicated/expensive carb. This way there is no motor swap necessary. You're done in a couple of hours and back out on the trails the next day in a rig that now drives completely different offroad. Same power as before on the road.
It's one option of many.

Bulletproof, complete propane kits for carbureted offroad and street vehicles.
Please visit our website for details or call with any questions. 480-430-8033

Free shipping on complete kits!

www.gotpropane.com

Check us out on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/gotpropane?
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 44135
Ok, thats what I was thinking. Was just hopeing I didn't miss something there.

Now, take a 1.9TDi, with the mechanical pump mod. Then add Propane, nitrous and water injections! But would be one quick sweet ride while it lasted!!!!!
Wonder if those mods would even be possible on the TD motors?
Old 02-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 44135
[QUOTE=lebowski;6460767]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflexx View Post
Now you can use the newer TDI engines. There's a mechanical pump that eliminates having to use the motor/dash/computer combo for the FI system.
QUOTE]

Could you direct us to that mechanical pump? I'd be curious to read more about that.
VWDieselParts.com has a great forum on these and many other mods for these engines. There is a whole write up on how to make one and what parts need to be obtained. There are links to other forum boards from that site for even more info.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 33313
Send a message via AIM to suprzuk
All I can say is that I love my diesel swap. I am after a little more power but I also only have the 1.6NA right now. I do have a 1.6 TD in the basement waiting to go in. Forget the RR swap kit. Go straight to www.acmeadapters.com . Jeff is a great guy to deal with and REALLY KNOWS HIS STUFF !

Kevin
suprzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 48335
I'm conflicted with mine. Honestly, if I were to do it again, I think I'd go with something like a zuk 1.6, kick tranny and kicker 3.

Currently running a 1.9td with toy drivetrain on 35s. Then again, I'm still waiting to do some more performance mods, so that may change my mind.

Stock td, with 35s and 4.1 diffs, with the toy 1:1 high, it pulled about the same as a stock zuk around town, better up hills on road, much more torque off road, but the high way performance took a hit with the added drag. I still need diff gears (can't decide 4.88 or 5.29) and turbo/intercooler/IP mods though, so the highway perf. should improve a fair bit.

Since the conversion, I've picked up an old 8 valve tracker, stock, and it pulls a fair bit harder...but then again, its running 5.13s with 235s....
phil_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 37854
personally i dont think it is worth it. Here is why, i have a 1.6na that i got for free, i have done all the work myself rebuilt the mtr all new parts, acme's kit, and i have spent 3k on parts, that is with searching on the internet for the best price or getting discount from friend that works at vw dealer = cost +10% or free on small stuff. i feel that there is less power than my 1.3 had. yes i get more mpg but am slower going up hills, the smoke that is made under load, not all worth it to me, if i can find a 1.6 16 valve kick mtr im going to sell the vw boat anchor and convert it back. or if i can find a cheap vw1.9 td then i might go with that ????????? just my 2 cents
88 zuk dd 1.616v stocksuspention[COLOR="red"]FOR SALE[/COLOR]
97supercharged4runnerSAcd44/d60
06DodgeMegaCab6spddually4xcummins

Johnson Valley Post # 941
allbentup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 25964
I agree with Allbentup. The diesel conversion has more chance of becoming costlier than a 16v swap. I was contemplating a VW diesel, but for me it was cheaper to go 16v. Also, I feel (I may be wrong) that the diesel swap can have more unforseen collateral expenses that are hard to predict and don't pop up until you've got the motor installed - and then little issues pop up. Mostly little things with the VW engine and plumbing.

I have only heard raves about Acme Adapters kits and customer service. I would 100% get their kit if I was contemplating doing the swap. It is an excellent swap, especially if you get a turbo engine. Right now I needed something simple and cheap - so I went 16v - which is also a highly rated swap.

If your on a budget, 16v may be the best option.
lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 43269
Send a message via AIM to BlancoBronco Send a message via Yahoo to BlancoBronco
Its hard enough to find diesel, Imagine if you were running propane & were out in the middle of no where & were running low on fuel?

Not many rigs on the trail that would be able to let you siphon a few gallons to get you home. vs Gas or even diesel....

Just something else to keep in mind.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 47428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane View Post
pane it and be done.
Carry on
X2

Last edited by roczuk; 02-10-2007 at 01:19 PM.
roczuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 51692
Send a message via ICQ to rocknbronco Send a message via Yahoo to rocknbronco
I think the new VW engines sucks and have for the last decade or so I wouldnt own one even if it was free.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 14922
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_j View Post
I'm conflicted with mine. Honestly, if I were to do it again, I think I'd go with something like a zuk 1.6, kick tranny and kicker 3.

Currently running a 1.9td with toy drivetrain on 35s. Then again, I'm still waiting to do some more performance mods, so that may change my mind.

Stock td, with 35s and 4.1 diffs, with the toy 1:1 high, it pulled about the same as a stock zuk around town, better up hills on road, much more torque off road, but the high way performance took a hit with the added drag. I still need diff gears (can't decide 4.88 or 5.29) and turbo/intercooler/IP mods though, so the highway perf. should improve a fair bit.

Since the conversion, I've picked up an old 8 valve tracker, stock, and it pulls a fair bit harder...but then again, its running 5.13s with 235s....
Dude - even if you haven't bought the EGT gauge you can still be brave and turn it up a LITTLE bit... and it's night and day with just a little turn of the main fuel screw! Then get the EGT and boost guages, turn up the pump until the idle annoys you, back it off a little, and get at least 12-15psi out the turbo - you may still want some 4.88's but it's not going to compare to a crappy 1.6 8valve anymore . My 1.9td got 27mpg at 65mph and easily did 85-90. I tore it down to upgrade to Toyota....and got the "might-as-well-while-I-am-at-it" disease so it's been offline awhile, with a TDI -M install almost done now - but a turned up 1.9td will not leave you wishing for power even with only doing the basic mods.

That being said the easy swap is the 1.6 8valve. VW diesels are only worth it if you think they are.
deepmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:12 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 31331
seems way to damn expensive to me, I did my whole 22re swap for well under $1000
hammer #1155
zuknstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:28 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 48335
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepmud View Post
Dude - even if you haven't bought the EGT gauge you can still be brave and turn it up a LITTLE bit... and it's night and day with just a little turn of the main fuel screw! Then get the EGT and boost guages, turn up the pump until the idle annoys you, back it off a little, and get at least 12-15psi out the turbo - you may still want some 4.88's but it's not going to compare to a crappy 1.6 8valve anymore . My 1.9td got 27mpg at 65mph and easily did 85-90. I tore it down to upgrade to Toyota....and got the "might-as-well-while-I-am-at-it" disease so it's been offline awhile, with a TDI -M install almost done now - but a turned up 1.9td will not leave you wishing for power even with only doing the basic mods.
Already have the gauges, actually...And the performance I'm talking about was with the "minor mods" done. It was set at 14psi, as I'd heard that a k14 wasn't good for much more, as it heated the air more than the leaner mixture dropped egts beyond that point. (I've since been hearing 17-18 tops) Once boost was set, the main fuel screw was turned up, and the idle backed off. It was getting more than enough fuel for 14psi, as I had to keep my foot out of it to keep the egts at a reasonable level. Flat ground, I could easily run it up to 1400* if I wanted to. Only other things done were 2.5" mandrel intake and exhaust, and a K&N cone filter on it. FWIW, this was with 3 people and 3 weeks worth of camping gear on board.

Having to drive it with one eye on the EGT gauge constantly got old to me, and I actually detuned it slightly to make it more point and shoot. It was still running about 10-12 psi on the highway, and this is what I based the above comments on. When I got back in my tracker after driving this thing a few thousand km, it was a noticeable step up in power.

It was better than stock tune, for sure, but it definately still left me wanting more. (90 mph? )

Yours sounds like it was working well for you, I don't know how much of that can just be attributed to gearing. I plan to re-gear mine soon, as soon as it's running again, as well as some more extensive mods to the engine.

Good luck with the m-tdi, hope it works well, and look forward to a performance report/comparison.
phil_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:37 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 10474
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbentup View Post
personally i dont think it is worth it. Here is why, i have a 1.6na that i got for free, i have done all the work myself rebuilt the mtr all new parts, acme's kit, and i have spent 3k on parts, that is with searching on the internet for the best price or getting discount from friend that works at vw dealer = cost +10% or free on small stuff. i feel that there is less power than my 1.3 had. yes i get more mpg but am slower going up hills, the smoke that is made under load, not all worth it to me, if i can find a 1.6 16 valve kick mtr im going to sell the vw boat anchor and convert it back. or if i can find a cheap vw1.9 td then i might go with that ????????? just my 2 cents
I heard if you turn the pump up a little and run Biodiesel you will eliminate smoke and build power, too.

rob
bernefj60 is offline   Reply With Quote