Header/02 sensor ? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 28975
Header/02 sensor ?

How critical is a oxegen sensor? I've bought a engine that I'm getting ready to drop into a d.d. samuria and the engine has a cam/header kit on it. The engine came out of a trail only rig that ran fine but this will be a road machine so I'm concerned about fuel economy etc. There is no place on the header for a sensor but I can drill it out and weld a nut on to put one in "but" if I do that, I can only get the sensor comeing off one chamber or have it about two foot from the head where it goes into the main exhaust pipe. Bottom line is, Do I really need the sensor and if I do where do I put it?
BTW, I do not know the make of the header if it matters...
TNZUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 16547
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNZUK View Post
How critical is a oxegen sensor? I've bought a engine that I'm getting ready to drop into a d.d. samuria and the engine has a cam/header kit on it. The engine came out of a trail only rig that ran fine but this will be a road machine so I'm concerned about fuel economy etc. There is no place on the header for a sensor but I can drill it out and weld a nut on to put one in "but" if I do that, I can only get the sensor comeing off one chamber or have it about two foot from the head where it goes into the main exhaust pipe. Bottom line is, Do I really need the sensor and if I do where do I put it?
BTW, I do not know the make of the header if it matters...
Is it a EFI. motor?
tinbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2007, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 28975
No, it's a bone stock 1.3 other than the isky cam and header. It also has .20 overbore. (if that matters).
TNZUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 40846
I'm going to have to say that if the header came without a spot for the O2 sensor, it's not THAT important , but I have always thought the O2 sensor had to do with your cold start, so the enginge will idle up when it's cold.
Zippy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 80317
youre going to need the 02 sensor to run right,dosent matter were you put it ,just dont put it in the collector,pick a tube and weld in a bung.If the puter doesnt get a reading from the sensor then it will dump extra fuel to play it safe so you dont run to lean and burn a valve.
87 zuke ford 2.3l propane,4:16 t-case,custom t-case bucket,scout steering,toy axles,frnt arb, rear spool,89'' wheelbase on wrongler leaves,35'' tires custom cut.
rockmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8687
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmike View Post
youre going to need the 02 sensor to run right,dosent matter were you put it ,just dont put it in the collector,pick a tube and weld in a bung.If the puter doesnt get a reading from the sensor then it will dump extra fuel to play it safe so you dont run to lean and burn a valve.
And when it's too far from the head it won't heat up enough and that's exactly what happens. You could try using a heated sensor in the collector though.

A heated sensor has four wires. The two extra wires power the heater part of it when they come on with the ignition.

I've wired quite a few 22REs now in my buddy's toyotas and when I did the first one we put the o2 sensor in the collector and it ran pretty rich. Here's a pic.

I wanted the guy to try a heated sensor in that spot, but he sold the EFI swap stuff.

Since then I've used the stock 22RE manifolds and the sensor is right up by the head so it works great.

My 1.6 header as an o2 bung. I'll try to get you a pic later.
The word "jones" is a slang term meaning to crave, want, or desire; or, to feel withdrawal from an activity of passion. The general slang meaning is often associated with addictive substance habits but can be applied on a more universal scale.
jones is offline   Reply With Quote