Sami friendly trials in Moab? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 21555
Send a message via Yahoo to Little Red Zuk
Sami friendly trials in Moab?

Well, my heep won't be ready in time for Easter Jeep, so looks like I'm hauling the Zuk down.

The rig is a pretty standard mild Zuk build, 1.6 16v, SOA on YJ, 4.16 case, 4.56's and locked front and rear on stock axles, on 32 BFGs. My winch took an extended vacation while being parked outside however.

So what trails should I be looking at running down there? Everytime I'd been to Moab, I either borrowed or rode. This will be my first time in my own trail rig.

Any trail suggestions?
Little Red Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 7265
Send a message via AIM to tipover
it would be easier to list those that you shouldn't do. But I think that everything is doable with your setup if you are with someone else.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Suzuki/Toyota Parts

Member # 80948
The easter Jeep safari is going to be extremely busy, but some of our favorites with a setup like yours are: Poison Spider Mesa, Hells Revenge, Behind the Rocks (kinda scary in a zuk at the east entrance) But anything you do will be fun if you haven't been down in your own rig. Just make sure you start early in the day because some of the trails get crowded and you cant get off of them until late in the day if you don't finish early.

Hope this helps,

Chris @ Low Range Off-Road

YOUR Suzuki and Toyota Parts SUPERSTORE. Over 5300 Products and Counting.[/SIZE]

We ship WORLDWIDE.
Low Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 21555
Yah, I know it'll be busy. I EJS isn't when I really like to wheel, but get a couple trails in. Usually I'd go down and work the company booth, but we're sending other reps this year, and I'm going down for a different side project. Combo work and play for me this year.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 6524
You'll be fine with that setup on most all Moab trails as long as you stay outa Area BFE and the Proving Grounds . There are very few obstacles I can think of that give those of us with short wheelbase and small tires problems. Maybe someone else will chime in since it's been 3 years since I've been up there..

Double Whammy?
Rockpile??

And you guys will be proud to know that I'm doing the usual Pirate style "Moab grind" - 2.5 weeks till we head out and I just finished the cage and rockers - still need to make bumpers - do an axle swap - and am considering linking the suspension with air shocks

Vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 88075
I do have a mildly built Zuk.

it is SPOA, 31's with a stock drive train.

I have never been to MOAB but will be in the area around the 21st of April.

how doable are the trails without lockers?

JunkYard Zuk
Fairfield Ca
Junkyard Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 25860
Send a message via AIM to zukiller
Here yeah go, i have an 86 samurai, spoa 30's and stock drivetrain. we hauled it out last november. i did fins n things metal masher and kane creek. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. you are set up really nice and shouldn't have any problems at all. like someone said before, it's not what can i do.... it's what can't i do. obviously pritchett is out along with upper hellderado.

here are some pics
kane creek

Old 03-20-2007, 08:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 65075
I ran moab last summer w/yj's and 33's locked and ran almost all the trails including upper helldorado, rusty nail and the escalator. All you'll need is a friend with a strap and strong back to keep you from doing back flips. I was running with Heeps on 40's. the only problem spots where, dump bump,double whammy(take the right side its easier) and potatoe salad hill.
mattwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 44135
I am also doing the last minute Moab grind! I will be out there next week instead of the safari. Been going to Moab for the last 12 years or so, with that I've ran a lot of trails with my zuk from 235x75x15's to 35's. You can do most any trails, several hard trails have bypasses now on the real hard obstacles. Goto 4x4now.com and look at the moab trails. Or search for moab four wheel drive trails.

Like said, there are several trails you should stay off of simply for the sake of it will be busy and that you will probably need to winch. Rusty nail, helldorado, pritchett canyon, possibly golden spike and gold bar rim unless your a good driver in a zuk (i did them on 235's and one locker with out too much trouble), moab rim depending on weather and conditions, and i'm sure there are a few i'm forgeting. There are many great trails out there though, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Moab is a great place!
87 Zuk, dana 44's w/5:38 detroits,coils/3 link frt, 3 link rear 37" Krawlers
87 Zuk, SPOA, Lockright/spool, 31" Truxs MT's. shaved and trussed stock axle housings,1.6/w 1.3 head, fuel injected, 4.16 t-case
88.5 Zuk future project pending
catzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 21555
Sweet. I got so used to being in overbuilt rigs there, I sometimes underestimate the abilities of my own rig. I'll be wheeling down there the 1st through the 3rd, then it'll probably be work. I'll be leaving before big Saturday too. Not even really sure where or who I'm wheelin' with yet though. If anybody else is down there, let me know. Look for this rig:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 9419
You'll be fine.

Zukfari runs the same dates as EJS, and there will be 40 or 50 zukes there.

You can find their schedule on the forums at www.zukiworld.com
Old 03-23-2007, 05:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 41893
Ill be leaving NH on the 30th and will be there for the week.First time for me but Im going to try the hard stuff!!!!!!!!!Going with a couple jeeps on 39 iroks,2 toys one on39 iroks the other on 38 SXs, a buggy on red label 39s and then my zuk on 37 iroks.Ill give it hell can wait to go.I will keep an eye out for ya little red zuk!

Last edited by wheelnrock; 03-23-2007 at 05:53 AM.
wheelnrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Willie

Member # 19067
No problem on 32s Darren.

You could run every "official" trail that EJS has to offer. A couple spots on the 4+ trails might force you to take a strap, but they are all doable. If anything, try to get behind someone who knows the lines for a smaller rig and follow them.

Remember that old black Sami of mine on P235s from many years ago? The bro-in-law and I ran the first couple Zukifaris in that thing and we did all 4+ trails. Had to take a strap or winch on a couple of the tough obstacles, but did most of the trails no problem.

Yeah, I wear a Kilt... what you're not man enough?!

Want beadlocks? Allied Beadlocks.... Best designed and best priced aluminum beadlock on the market!

Got 40 SPLINE? Time for you to get 40 spline too! 40 spline hubs, spindles, outer stub shafts, 40 spline 14 bolt & Dana 60 Air Lockers

http://www.wildwestfab.com.... WILD WEST OFF ROAD 360-264-5363
Tech Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 31116
I ran most everything in Moab in 2004 with my sami '88 with stock axles and motor, 4 to 1 transfercase and 29's. Only trail I know we didn't run was the Proving Grounds. At the time I did not have a winch, just 3 other rigs one of them with a big winch. Just find someone with a winch to run with you and tear up the trails baby. Stock looking sami's make everybody else look a little less impressive on those trails.
sdmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 5716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Red Zuk View Post

"Having left the rest stop several hours earlier, the group was forced to improvise a forest-service approved latrine for one of its members"
Old 04-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 6524
So far so good - I've had the Weber apart about 25 times so far - had some float problems. Other than that -

Poison Spider Mesa, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Fins & Things down. Doing Hells Revenge and Moab Rim tomorrow.
Vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 44135
Great pics. I love Moab! Such a great place to wheel.
87 Zuk, dana 44's w/5:38 detroits,coils/3 link frt, 3 link rear 37" Krawlers
87 Zuk, SPOA, Lockright/spool, 31" Truxs MT's. shaved and trussed stock axle housings,1.6/w 1.3 head, fuel injected, 4.16 t-case
88.5 Zuk future project pending
catzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:43 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 41893
Ran into red zuk in moab what a trip 40 plus hrs of drive time from NH was worth every minute.What a turn out for EJS.Maybe someday I will go back.Trails look different in person then on video or pics.
wheelnrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:53 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 21555
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnrock View Post
Ran into red zuk in moab what a trip 40 plus hrs of drive time from NH was worth every minute.What a turn out for EJS.Maybe someday I will go back.Trails look different in person then on video or pics.
It was nice to meet ya! It was a crazy week, and other than a brake cylinder leak before I even unloaded I had no problems. Didn't get to run as much as I wanted, but had a blast. Nice to actually wheel my own rig this time.