Pirate 4x4 banner

1st buggy build

12K views 73 replies 26 participants last post by  getzuked 
#1 · (Edited)
some photos for ya!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Forgot to mention that this is a work in progress! My wife is pregnant and time is harder to come by. I only have one trip on it and have a few issues to fix. I also need front and rear winches this its time to paint:cool2: So what color should the cage be? Oh ya, the hood is narrowed 7 inches down the middle:D

#6 ·
I am runnin a 22re with a 5 spd and dual yota cases and 4.7 gears in the rear. Yota solid up front with 30 spline longs with a v6 3rd and a lock rite locker. The rear is a IFS yota axle with a lincoln locker.Both front and rear still have 4.10s. I plan on running 60s so thats why I didnt put any money into the axles. I traded a guy on the board a motor for the longfields so the drivetrain has all been preety cheap. I picked up a 85 yota with the axle and drove it home for $400. The motor and rear end came from a 87 4runner that was wrecked that I got for $350. The buggy started as a 87 samurai that I picked up for $300. The duals and tranny came from the board for $1500. I have around $3500 into my suspension with the 16 in. fox shocks, brackets links, and joints. The cage Has around $1200 in metal(1 3/4 dom 120 wall). tires and wheels are around $2400. I had a radiater built 5 core that fits nice for $500. The high angle drivelines are around $650 both. Stearing is $1700. The fuel cell and pump was $300. The 5 point harnesses are 80 ea. $160. The seat I had from another sami. Optima battery was $160. I figured around $1200 for trips to the auto parts store for shit I needed or didnt like and for any body that has built a rig know about thise trips. After around 400 hours this is what I is. I would not do it again! I have around $14500 and no winches yet.

#11 ·
Nothing stock! The clutch and brake pedals came from the 87 4 runner and were bent and shortened including the throttle. The fire wall and floor pan was fabbed up and still needs finished welded and rhino lined. Nothing on the buggy is really finished because I have never built linked suspension and I wanted to see how and if it was gonna work before I painted it. I need to make a few adjustmebnts and take another trip to see what else needs attention.

Attachments

#18 ·
That is a nice rig man. It's a good thing it has that zuke hood so you can call it a Suzuki. Technically it might be more of a toyota I think.

I'd paint the cage black. It makes for easy touch ups. :D

#38 ·
#24 · (Edited)
Four link geometry

Do you by chance have any of the math or design parameters you used on the rear four link??? From the pics of the rear end flexed out it looks like you ended with a really low roll axis - the axle is walked pretty hard to the left in that pic. Just wondering if you calculations and designs matched you build intentions/results. Seems like it is hard to get them to match exactly. I like the brake lines down the links.

#26 · (Edited)
The only thing I can do for the rear end is take measurments of the links and separation! I just asked everyone what they had and crawled under every buggy I saw! I took the idea from chris's trail gear sami and at the axle made the swivel like Okie zuks design. What that means is I built my shit and it seems to work! I couldnt find anyone in the yota forums to give me exact measurements so I spent hours drinking brew and building.As far as the cylinder, the part number is SC-2212 from polyperformance.com and it is the 2.5" bore x 8" stroke and 1.5" rod it sales for $305.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.