stretching wheelbase..? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 95698
stretching wheelbase..?

i have a set of 85' toy axles and i'm wondering what sprimgs to use to stretch my wheelbase? i'm looking to move the front 2-4" forward and move the rear 2-4" back.. i have a set of yj's and a set of 4" cj lift springs. is this capable of being done with leaf springs or not.? thanks for the advice in advance.
irishzuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2007, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 50551
Send a message via AIM to rugg2kwgp
I would do the yj springs.. They work very well and flex great to. You might want to look into the wagoneer springs too. I think they are the same lenght but the center pin is off-set so it will give you alittle more wheelbase than the wrangler. Someone correct me if im wrong.
Miller Motorsports #4421
www.millerrockracing.com
rugg2kwgp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 34828
Yes it can be done. depending on what tire size you are running you will have to trim your fenders a bit. You will have to make some brackets and weld them in the in the stock bracket location. This should move both axles 4-5 inches out. In the rear if you use missing links this will work out perfect for the shackle location. The front you will have to add some box tubing to the frame to to put your front shackles on. I have some pics of what I did to mine if you want to see them....

Last edited by Itsmejoe231; 10-08-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Itsmejoe231 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 68154
yeah waggys and yj's are the same length not sure on the offset but don't use the cj's i hear they have no flex
Old 10-08-2007, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 95698
thanks for all the advice. do the wagoneer spings flex like the yj's? from what everyone has said the samurai rides like a cadillac with the yj's and the flex is awesome. yeah send the pics my way of what you have done i'm thinking of doing the swap this weekend but i just can't stand the down time. i know it will be well worth it in the long run but its surely valuable wheeling time wasted. thanks again and keep the info coming.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 32012
Send a message via ICQ to schaan Send a message via AIM to schaan Send a message via MSN to schaan Send a message via Yahoo to schaan Send a message via Skype™ to schaan
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotabattlemaiden View Post
yeah waggys and yj's are the same length not sure on the offset but don't use the cj's i hear they have no flex
right on about cj's not flexing as well but they last longer.

im going tj coils on all four corners after runnning yj's.

i went through yj's considerably quicker than i ever did my cj springs, of course the cj's were on my last cj and i didnt wheel it nearly as evtremely.

yj's worked well but im ready for the coils for many reasons. mostly cause my front hydro wont work with the pad placement or my new btf cover i won wont fit either, so good as reason as any.

but id suggest yj's all around for your situation.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
turd-polish-a-go-go

Member # 49404
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaan View Post
right on about cj's not flexing as well but they last longer.
one of the reasons the cj's flex less is the pads between the leaves, they are plastic vs yj's fancy teflon-like pads they're also thicker, and can easily be identified by the widening of the leaves at the ends where they taper. i've ran both, and like the fact that cj's don't "wear out" as quickly, and retain more arch under load. they are a bit stiffer on the road, though. (kinda feel like OME lifted sammy springs vs. stock, for comparison) i've heard of guys having excellent luck by disassembling their cj leaf packs, cleaning and lubing them, and putting them back together. seems to get a little more flex out of them. i assume that would work with all springs, including waggys or anything else.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 34828
Here are some pics of when I stretched the front. Those where 35" tires. Lifted YJ's with one of the regular leaf springs removed from the pack.

Here is the rear.

This you can see the rear's front mount.

I also had to trim the front fender a bit.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 95698
do you think this would work without lifted yj springs? i have a set of stock yj's and the pics have giving me and my friend some insight into what route we can go. thanks for the pics. also what did you end up doing for the axles? are you still using the stock axles or yotas? i don't think that i'll have any reason to chop into the fenders at all. i'm plaining on running 35x14.5/15 super swamper boggers, used off a good friend $200. any more pics would be greatly appreciated. how far did your front and rear axles end up moving? what is your total wheel base now? do you have any side pics showing how far the stock frame brackets have moved? thanks again.

Last edited by irishzuk; 10-09-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 95698
sorry after looking over the photos i noticed that you do have toy axles. but still what did you end up doing for the drive shafts? since i see the rear 3rd is centered. sorry for the numerous questions but i just what to make sure all my bases are covered.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 62837
Itsmejoe, did you have to cut and turn your knuckles?

I plan on frame extension with shackle up front using a rear spring pack i am already using. So i will need to move the rear mount forward on the frame also. The thing is i think i will need to keep the rear spring mount at the same height it is now so that the caster angle is still in spec.

Any thoughs?

O yea, also, i want it to be lowwwwww, i am only running 31's and i am doin a tube clip. So i am going to try to get the shackle mount higher up than stock position to compensate for the bad caster by moving the rear mount forward (and higher up) on the frame.

Last edited by dabomb5756; 10-09-2007 at 11:44 PM.
dabomb5756 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
turd-polish-a-go-go

Member # 49404
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabomb5756 View Post
So i am going to try to get the shackle mount higher up than stock position to compensate for the bad caster by moving the rear mount forward (and higher up) on the frame.
you could holesaw your frame in front of the front cab body mount bosses, and weld in tubing in which you would insert shackle bushings... assuming you are doing a proper shackle reversal, which gives you a better approach angle than fang shackles up front. you can even use the springs as sliders... i think rockrat or rock logic sells a kit with welding jigs. that will also help to solve the extreme perch angle problem with yj s/r setups...
Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87336
Here's a few pics of my 6" stretch when I did my shackle reversal and YJ conversion. I moved the rear axle back 1" and the front forward The 4" my wheelbase is right at 85"

JpJon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 34828
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishzuk View Post
do you think this would work without lifted yj springs? i have a set of stock yj's and the pics have giving me and my friend some insight into what route we can go. thanks for the pics. also what did you end up doing for the axles? are you still using the stock axles or yotas? i don't think that i'll have any reason to chop into the fenders at all. i'm plaining on running 35x14.5/15 super swamper boggers, used off a good friend $200. any more pics would be greatly appreciated. how far did your front and rear axles end up moving? what is your total wheel base now? do you have any side pics showing how far the stock frame brackets have moved? thanks again.

Here is a side pic of the rig. It was right at 90".

Old 10-10-2007, 10:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 34828
The rear d-shaft is a front toy ifs shaft. It works perfect for an uncut, stock shaft.

The front is a mix match of parts. From left to right.

Samurai u-joint, Sidekick rear d-shaft, Toyota slip joint.

I did not have it balanced. All I did was square it up and made sure it was straight. I have been running it like that for over 1 1/2 years and no vibes yet. If you are going to have a DD, get on made and have it balanced.

Quote:
sorry after looking over the photos i noticed that you do have toy axles. but still what did you end up doing for the drive shafts? since i see the rear 3rd is centered. sorry for the numerous questions but i just what to make sure all my bases are covered.

Last edited by Itsmejoe231; 10-10-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 34828
Quote:
Itsmejoe, did you have to cut and turn your knuckles?

I plan on frame extension with shackle up front using a rear spring pack i am already using. So i will need to move the rear mount forward on the frame also. The thing is i think i will need to keep the rear spring mount at the same height it is now so that the caster angle is still in spec.

Any thoughs?

O yea, also, i want it to be lowwwwww, i am only running 31's and i am doin a tube clip. So i am going to try to get the shackle mount higher up than stock position to compensate for the bad caster by moving the rear mount forward (and higher up) on the frame.
I rolled my knuckles on mine just cause I wanted the pinion rolled up looking at the t-case.

Every time you change springs and height of your rig you change the caster angle. If you are going to drive it on the street it is important you pay attention to the pinion angle. You will end up with bump steer and/or death wobble.

I dont drive mine on the street other that around the block and down the street in the neighborhood and I dont have any problems.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 34828
Quote:
You would have to move the stock gas tank if you use stock YJ's and have to do a bunch of body trimming.

The frame brackets are in the stock location.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 73588
hey jpjon do you have pictures of the shackle side of things and the rear setup?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:03 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 27316
Quote:
O yea, also, i want it to be lowwwwww, i am only running 31's and i am doin a tube clip.
Run the springs under the axles and cut the fenders for tire clearance.
DRKelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.