Coilovers on a zuk sized buggy--> Help needed-->F-O-A?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Domestic Engineer

Member # 26115
Coilovers on a zuk sized buggy--> Help needed-->F-O-A??

Hey guys & gals.

Thanks for the buggy pics.......

We are now looking into coilovers, we need some advice on the spring weight ratings. (Our next set-up will include 39.5" tires, zuk motor trans t-case yota case yota axles Full tube chassis -> Not exactly sure what this puppy will weigh in the end)

Not sure yet if the dual spring set-up will be necessary??

Anyone using F-O-A???? http://f-o-a.com/shop/index.php?main...&products_id=5

Help/advice appreciated.......(we are buggy newbs)

Last edited by zuki4x4chick; 10-16-2007 at 07:43 PM.
zuki4x4chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 99303
Heard a lot about FOA shocks on a desert truck forum. A lot of negative oppinions based on the appearance but no one had any oppinions on the actual performance of them. I think they would work just fine, especially in a buggy application. the dezert trucks probably see higher loads as they are often airborn and then slam down pretty hard whereas a buggy would more likely slowly load the shock. At any rate good luck with the build.
rrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2007, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 19733
Sounds like you will be comming in at (est) 2600 or so give or take 200lbs. My rig will be coming in close to the same weight when Im done rebuilding it. I am also putting coilovers on my rig so Ive been searching a ton on coilovers on here lately. Since you are starting from scratch try to weight the rig as close to 50/50 front/rear as possible. I am cutting my rig back up and moving my engine trans and case back allong with my battery and whatever else I need to move to achive as close to this as I can. If that can be achived all 4 coilovers should be able to retain the same weights. I just bought race runner coilovers and 14inch 150lbs/300lbs eibach coils. Im planning on being back togather by early december.

This thread is where I got some really good info
/forum/general-4x4-discussion/507545-spring-rates-shock-vavling-my-story.html

Mike

You dont know if your wrong till your upside-down.
rpm4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 86372
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuki4x4chick View Post
Hey guys & gals.

Thanks for the buggy pics.......

We are now looking into coilovers, we need some advice on the spring weight ratings. (Our next set-up will include 39.5" tires, zuk motor trans t-case yota case yota axles Full tube chassis -> Not exactly sure what this puppy will weigh in the end)

Not sure yet if the dual spring set-up will be necessary??

Anyone using F-O-A???? http://f-o-a.com/shop/index.php?main...&products_id=5

Help/advice appreciated.......(we are buggy newbs)
On a shock longer than about 10", you don't have a choice but to go with dual rate springs. Nobody makes a single spring long enough once you get to the longer shocks.
We have have a ton shocks in use on everything from crawlers to pre-runners.....all good feedback.
First, get your suspension linked up and fairly ready. Order the appropriate length shock for what your suspension needs, and then fab up all your mounts. By then, you should be fairly close to being able to get some weight numbers of the buggy. Once you can nail down weight, link arm lengths, wanted droop, and wheel travel...you'll be able to get a fairly accurate idea of the needed springrates. Here's a link to our springrate calculator.... http://f-o-a.com/calculator.html It's "How To" section can give you a bit more info.

As for the "appearance" as mentioned above......I'm not sure what's wrong with them? They look great to me, in fact, that's probably one of the most common comments we get once somebody recieves their shock....how good they look.

Now carrying LED light bars at the BEST PRICES YOU'LL FIND!!

Check us out on FACEBOOK!!- https://www.facebook.com/FOAShocks
motochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Domestic Engineer

Member # 26115
Thank you guys for your input, will get the links fabbed up and prob trailer her to the weigh scale.........

The F-O-A's look like a great alternative for us strict budget folks......
Old 10-17-2007, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm4x4 View Post
Sounds like you will be comming in at (est) 2600 or so give or take 200lbs. My rig will be coming in close to the same weight when Im done rebuilding it. I am also putting coilovers on my rig so Ive been searching a ton on coilovers on here lately. Since you are starting from scratch try to weight the rig as close to 50/50 front/rear as possible. I am cutting my rig back up and moving my engine trans and case back allong with my battery and whatever else I need to move to achive as close to this as I can. If that can be achived all 4 coilovers should be able to retain the same weights. I just bought race runner coilovers and 14inch 150lbs/300lbs eibach coils. Im planning on being back togather by early december.

This thread is where I got some really good info
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507545

Mike

Those spring rates will be really stiff for a 2600 lb rig. My rig is closer to 3400lbs and I finally settled on 150/200 for the front and 130/175 for the rear. The uppers are all 12" to allow me to get the ride height lower. I tried some 250lb lower springs both front and rear and it was was to stiff.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 19733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrckcrawler View Post
Those spring rates will be really stiff for a 2600 lb rig. My rig is closer to 3400lbs and I finally settled on 150/200 for the front and 130/175 for the rear. The uppers are all 12" to allow me to get the ride height lower. I tried some 250lb lower springs both front and rear and it was was to stiff.
Do you think 200 is soft enough? I do not want to run a swaybar and Im afraid that it will be floppy on the sidehills.

Mike

Old 10-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3550
Quote:
Do you think 200 is soft enough? I do not want to run a swaybar and Im afraid that it will be floppy on the sidehills.

Mike
Not knowing the way you are going to mount the shocks, axle width, angle of the shocks I couldn't really say so you'll have to try it. Just from past experience I can't see 300lb springs being usefull on such a light rig unless you have the shocks at some crazy angle or mounted partway up one of the links. It's pretty common knowledge that most of the guys who just coil their Sammy's use 150 or 175 lb coils, so that would be my starting point for the lower spring on your coilovers. For springs I'd check out the misc section, there is a coilover spring thread for selling used sets and or requesting sets. Get a pair of used 200lb coils for cheap and give them a whirl, maybe you can trade your 300's (but keep the 150's).
Old 10-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 19733
Thanks for the tip on the misc section, I will check it out. I think Im gonna check ebay too. Id like to have a few different rates to play with.

Unfortunately coilovers are unheard of on anything lightweight around here. Couple of monster rigs runnin them. The air shocks seem to be more popular here. I hate the ride of those though.

I am planning on mounting the coilovers leaning slightly forward 3 inches from the lower mounting point and as far out on the axle as possible. I will be only tipping them in enough to keep the tires from rubbing on them.

Mike

Old 10-18-2007, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 19733
BTW zuki4x4chic, sorry for the hijack. I guess Im not much help at all

Old 10-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Domestic Engineer

Member # 26115
No worries, the project isn't starting til' NOV., and I have all the info I need

We have decided (from research on here and the advice of friends with buggies) the coil-overs will be the best for performance and stability....(we have some crazy off camber situations out here)

Excited to ditch the ranchos.........lol

Quote:
BTW zuki4x4chic, sorry for the hijack. I guess Im not much help at all
Old 10-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 9275
Send a message via Yahoo to purevil71
I've been looking into coil overs myself for my rear 3-link. The TJ coils and regular shocks are good, just need something better. I've been getting a lot of body roll with my current set up.

ZookiMelt FB Page:
[url]http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003375889081[/url]
purevil71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 8111
Quote:
Originally Posted by purevil71 View Post
I've been looking into coil overs myself for my rear 3-link. The TJ coils and regular shocks are good, just need something better. I've been getting a lot of body roll with my current set up.
Then Loose some weight FAT ASS...
Rockrat is offline   Reply With Quote