Pirate 4x4 banner

*READ FIRST AND CHECK IN!* -updated SEP 26 2017

639K views 537 replies 479 participants last post by  Livenswell 
#1 · (Edited)
First of all welcome to the Zuk forum of Pirate 4x4!
Its a brand new Year and Hopfully lots of new tech!
We welcome all things ZUK! Be it Samurai's, Jimnys, SJ, LJ, Vitarias, Grands, XL7s, X90's, Kicks; along w/ Geo Trackers, Pontiac Sunrunners, Indian Suzuki Maruti's and of course wild Zuk based buggies (if its got a zuk hood its a ZUK!)
So What is a ZUK?

NOW on with the Rules!
There are always new faces showing up, and that is great and healthy for our hobby. At the same time, we have to share with them our rules so that new members do not take things the wrong way.

I will explain for you:
There is a flood posts looking for help on; what size tire for a zuk axle, stuck t-cases and check engine lights.
It's not so much that people mind the posts or helping people out.
However, after a while the posting of the same questions over and over clutters up the forum.
When this happens the real tech is getting downed in a sea of shift sheets and wheel spacers.
The questions to the effect of "my check engine light is on" or "what is this little switch" questions. Both of which, I am fairly sure are in the Chilton's and Haynes manual.
When you need these questions answered it is best to look in the PBB SUZUKI FAQ (frequently Asked Questions anything not in there is in Acks FAQ or you could try IZOOK (both are listed in the FAQ) If you want a forum for simple dress up items and common every day repairs along with some good builds sprinkled in, there are other Zuk based forums for that.
May I suggest zuwharrie?
The main reason some of the veterans flame newbs is; if you have looked around pirate, this is not the correct resource to be asking simple automotive repair questions like what is the right oil for my zuk or my clutch is sticking.

*Do not post for sale or parts wanted items in the Suzuki tech section!!!*
*Pirate has a classified section Here: Classifieds - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

People need to understand this is Pirate 4x4, a forum for hardcore tech. :flipoff2: is a signature almost friendly joke in Pirate the other :flipoff: is exactly what it is.

So welcome aboard and enjoy the knowledge posted here. If for some reason you find a question that has never been answered, by all means ask, if not ..... Search NEWB! :flipoff2: and buy a RED STAR! http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/payments.php
Do not spam the tech board with For sale or wanted threads Pirate has a classified section!Classifieds - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum(However, if its somthing zuk specific and you need it ASAP then ok)
Honestly, if you have any questions or suggestions about a post or anything you need help with on here, shoot me a PM but you better have checked in!

LINKS

PBB SUZUKI FAQ
PBB BUILD TABLE OF CONTENTS **updated**
some other threads with pics of zuks
Pic's of zuk's
lets see ur flex!!
great guideline!
The way I look at it there is 4 types of Sami's.....

Type 1
Bone stock
Which is under geared, under powered, open diffs, tiny tires and wanting to go bigger.

Type 2
Spring over 31/33", built sami axles, Stock Motor, 4:1 T-case
This is the where people say they have the most fun, fun little rig that is very capiable... But storage is an issue with any distance/camping trips.

Type 3
Toyota axles, 33/36", 1.6 L motor, 6:1 T-case.
These guys are always looking for more and are never happy. Most guys have plans to go bigger, but a few say they should have just stuck to 33"s and sami axles.

Type 4
Built Toy/dana axles, 36-40", Bigger motor yet, Links suspension, cut up body and caged. This is where I'm at - I want the performance of a buggy, but still need the road worthiness and weather tightness of a door slammer. People like us are never happy, period. but the rigs do perform well.

Sure some of you might not agree with me on this, but this is how I look at it.

Type 1 is useless - don't leave your sami stock.
Type 2 is perfect for weekend warriors and you will probably have the most fun getting your "stockish" sami to follow much more built rigs.
Type 3 is just a transition, rigs don't stay like this for long because stuff is alway breaking.
Type 4 is just for those guys thats are nuts.
Anyone that breaks the rules more than once will have their violating thread/post deleted and maybe even a week in the sin bin! enjoy:flipoff2:

So tell us a little about yourself and your rig posting pics of it is cool too!And add links to some of your builds!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I'll start
I'm Jay, I'm from NH
I've been into the off road scene since about 1994, my first rig was a 69 k5 blazer (I still own) and Zuks since around 2000.
In 2005 my 94 was still stock bodied on zuk axles and i drove it on 33's from AK to NH
I stopped in to visit Scott aka Rockrat

my story according to low-range magizine before I linked it

Now Its more of a zuk buggy based off a 94 samurai. Its linked in front and rear rear with SAW 2.0's It has a 1.6 kick motor a kicker3 doubler, 5.14 calmini gears in the samurai case yota axles with 4.30's and aussie lockers. currently running IROC 39.5'S
MY BUILD THREAD
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=681910&highlight=

Attachments

#3 ·
I guess I'll go second.

Troy, Glendale, Az, 36-41-wait, wrong thing.

I bought an 86 Samurai around the turn of the century and it's been through all the stages above, 'cept I stuck with 35 inch MTRs.

Then

Now

There is still much to be done, but work and fatherhood and life always get in the way.

In my spare time, I moderate our local club board and work on my hypothesis that each person is allowed a certain amount of "runningness." Say you are the type of person who is allowed 4 cars worth of "runningness." If you have 6 cars, 3 will run, 2 will run badly and 1 will be a paper weight. I have ten. Nothing runs. Ever.

#4 · (Edited)
Im jeff from calaveras county, ca
Id say my rig falls in a type 4 category. Ive had my 86 zuk for about 2-3years now, got it bone stock. It currently has a fresher :laughing: 88 1.3l, 6.5 t-case gears, toy axles 4.38s lincoln locked fnr, 35x16x15 boggers, xjs springs rear and yjs up front, exo, myside, toy ps, for now............

Sitting on 39.5s now stretched out to 104in wheelbase, toyota rear spring up front, and ranger spring in the back. And now running 5.29 rnp. Gm alt

#5 · (Edited)
Great to see the zuk forum getting some needed attention. so far I see you are on your way to making this board what it should have been. Thanks Supazuk

I'm Tristan Clark out of Burbank, CA

I've been into 4x4's for about 5 years or alittle less. I've always been into the "desert" seen and love all types of recreation. I got into zuk's because of budget and now that i've gone thru about 6 of them I'm finally on my tintop for comfort. i'm not in them for budget anymore though; just think that if your going to have a production vehicle based rig then a zuk in my mind is hands down the best platform.

here's my last build

I sold it last year with the desire for a Tintop, a foot or more lower, linked for comfort, full size axles, big meats and a V6.

which brings me to my tintop build.

at it's current state

#6 · (Edited)
Well... My Type 2 kicked a LOT of Type 3 Toyota ass this weekend!! I took 3rd in 35 and under class, and most of the rigs below my rank had 35's! I only got 31's, locked rear, and a stock Auto (helped me a lot!) and did great!

Here is my DD Sidekick:

The rig on the right of my DD is the rig me and my dad built the last 6 years. I'd say it is a Type 3.5... 5.12 R&P locked F/R, Chromoly double toughs in the front, sidekick bigger 3rd in the rear. Runs 33" Rockers with YJ's holding the axles. Does anything the buggies do around here! And we got some kick-ass bugs.
My Dad's rig:

And my Semi-Bug I have been working on. This is the furthest it has gone and I started taking stuff off of it. I am gonna throw yota's under it and maybe some 35's. Run a 6.5:1 T-case and keep my 1.3 cuz it is a good running engine.

I do all the local work on the Sammy's around here... I've done 5 head jobs, 4 motor swaps, close to 10 clutch jobs, all in the last 2 years, and I am only 18! :flipoff2:

And if anyone needs updates on Trail Tough and Hawk Suzuki projects, I live 15 minutes from both.

#9 ·
i'll go mainly because i like posting photos:D
first got into wheeling in the early 80's...bought my first samurai in `99
an `86 ,since then i've had three,but never did a build thread...
if anyone is ever going up i5 through the dunsmuir/mt. shasta area send a pm and have a beer or go for a short wheel...
rice
here's the latest

#11 ·
Nicely done supazuk I voted for you,

My name is John Rants and I have been wheeling with my family my whole life and on my own for 13 yrs. My wife has two samurai's one is a #2 and daily driver/weekend warrior. 1.6 16V 4.16's in the t-case, hybrid rear with 4.30 axle gears, 31" pro comp MT with track/kick power steering trail tough bumpers f/r with 5000# harbor frieght winch.

Her other one is a number 4 in progress but she has all the pics removed from the ca-puter currently. Plan is 16v w/auto doubler dana's coils all around stretched wheelbase so on and so forth.

#12 ·
Rob from near Albany, NY. I got into this wheeling my FJ Cruiser throughout 2007, broke it too many times so I parted it out and bought a built zuk off a local guy.
Its an 88 with the stock 1.3 carb'd, Toy axles w/5.71s, 5.14 tcase, mighty kong mount,missing link YJ kit, internal cage, 35" xterrains, warn 9.5xp, etc..

Plans are to stretch with a rear 4 link and front frame extension, 36-37" tires, 1.6 efi swap, and redo my cage to tie it into the frame.

heres a couple pics

#13 ·
My name is Jason. I live in Idaho, and I've been into offroading for about 10 years. I had a jeep for a while and had to sell it. Fast forward a couple years, and I end up with a sami after looking for something small and cheap.
1.6 8v TBI
4.88 yotas
4.89 t-case
33's
Slight wheelbase stretch

#14 · (Edited)
My name's Mike. Been offroading for almost 10 years...I bought my Zuk as a beater offroad rig while I work on other trail rigs. For what's in it, which isn't much, it works well.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
I guess I need to throw my name up here
my name is Joe I got rid of my chevy for something more fuel friendly, and dont regret a thing. my 87 sami sits on 35's. Its got a weber carb, tt double tough axles, spool in the rear, and is coil sprung front and rear. 3 link + panhard front. 2 link + wishbone rear.

#17 ·
My name is Nic and I live up here in Canadia. I have been wheeling for around 8 yrs. We have some great wheeling locally but also like to wheel Moab and the Hammers. My first rig was a sammy, tubed back with 3 link, kicker 2, toys, 5.29s etc but I sold it since it was my DD at first and I took it to far to drive it on the road anymore. I then wheeled a spoa mildly built BJ60 (turbo diesel) for a bit. Then it was a 85 toyota which was bobbed, longed etc.....typical toyota stuff. It was then parted out for my buggy

It is a 4 seater 118" WB full flat belly
full reverse manual th350
23 spline toy duals w/chromo output
FROR rear disco
high pin 60 in the front with 35spline chromos,bobbys joint and 6 bolt conversion
back is getting a built 9" with 35 spline 6bolt axles, detroit etc

I am also just finishing up my new DD/camping/expedition rig

85 LWB zuk
97" wb
yjs
bbcs shocks
6.5 gears
35" ltbs
16 16 valve
toy ps steering etc

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Automotive tire

Geological phenomenon Vehicle Off-roading Geology Soil

Snow Vehicle Winter Geological phenomenon Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

#18 · (Edited)
Great supazuk, guess I can call you a colleague now
My name is something you people cant pronounce :flipoff2: and Im from Norway. Have loved the zuks since I was a little kid, so got my dad to get a zuk as a beater a long time ago. when it wasn't road worthy anymore I took it over. It has changed alot over the years, but I`m gonna keep it road legal, so what I can do to it is actually very restricted. It might be a good thing as Im keeping it in its most fun form.
I have a Sj413K (pickup, stock) too, it might get portals and everything that follows

It currently is a 86 SJ413 frame, 84 410 body w/86 dash, YJs, samurai axles(wider), 6.4:1, locked f/r, 1.6 16v baleno engine with 38mm gixxer carbs, power steering and 31". it will get an exo/internal cage, flat belly, and the rear will be redone with lifted Yj`s next

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Off-roading

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Off-roading

#19 ·
I'll play!

I am Mike and reside in the high desert of Nevada about 2 hours from the Rubicon and Fordyce, and 1.5 hours from Moonrocks.

Mostly a lurker on the Zuk forum, but been wheeling (at least with a steering wheel in my hand) since 1980. I have owned just about every domestic brand of 4x4 at one time or another, and this is my First Zuk.

In the beginning I submit for your scrutiny, a FREEBIE 88 1/2 that 4 hours prior to this picture, had been a Chicken Coop for 5 years in a guys back yard. New battery, clean fuel, and I was spinning around the yard.

3 years later and we now have what SupaZuk94 would clasify as a Level 2, with some extras.

Same Sammy with 33's, Lockers, 6.5:1 tcase, Evil Twin Twin Sticks, Mighty Kong T-case Mount, Custom Exhaust (minus Cat), 5:12 Gears, 6" SPOA, and 1.5" custom body lift (yea I know, but it works).
Top it off with a Rockrat NC-Z Signature Series Cage, Custom Top, Racing Seats (I am a 300lb guy and need the room), removable receiver mounted Ramsey Winch that fits front or rear, custom bumpers and tire carrier, and all the other little tips and tricks that has been mentioned, experimented with, and put into use from this forum.
I use it as my daily driver practically year round.

Went to my first comp this year at Oroville, CA and Won in the A-mod, so this little Zuk is well on it's way.:grinpimp:

#21 · (Edited)
1.5? Sound System?

I didn't know there was a 1.5.

If you have the stock alternator, I wouldn't push more than 350 watts RMS from it. The stock alt is only 56?amps stock! I put a GM alt in my Sidekick and was running 916 watts RMS to my 2 12's and could have hit 147db's easy with my broken windshield, but now my 5 year old Hifonics has biten the dust and my outputs are blown (ALWAYS take your fuse out when your amp isn't hooked up and grounding out.)

3 years of professional installation. If anyone needs advice, it's free! Chat me up!

#23 · (Edited)
Hey I'm Ryan. I have had two samurais in my posession over the years. Notice I said "posession"...I had one that a girlfriend was giving me that was an '88 with 19,000 original miles until we broke up! Then I bought my current project in October of 2006 and drove it stock for a little over a year. Then I tore it down and started changing a few things. I live in Sumter, SC which has absolutely no rocks and everywhere you go in a built rig people ask "where ya go muddin at". It drives me nuts. :barf: Anyway here it is...

#24 ·
Hey, my name is Mike Braddock, from southern Illinois. I had a TT sami about 10 years ago, that was SPOA with 31s. A few years ago i bought a tracker to cruise in the summer with the top off....now i have a type 4 tracker.

Yota axles, 38 SXs, 4 link front and rear, 16in SAW air shocks, soon to have a 2.0 liter!

#25 ·
Hi I'm Darren. Rig started out as a pretty mild zuk with 16v, and 33s and has progressed from there to where it is today. Its always a work in progress. Current setup is 16v to sidekick trans to kicker3 with rear disco, waggy dana44 rear and a custom width dodge front, loaded with 5.38s chromos and spools, air shocks and 104 inch wb.

#26 · (Edited)
I'm Jerry, computer geek with very little social skills. So most the time the keyboard and mouth don't match what I'm trying to say, so take it with a grain of salt.

'yota is my partner in crime who we tend to try to one up each other. pict is before we got our rigs pimped so neither looks anywhere close to this.

#27 ·
My names Tim Madden and I've owned my samurai sence 1997. I've redone everything on it about a dozen times, there is alway's room for improvement:D

built 1.3(tracker EFI), tracker trans, OTT kicker3, samy tcase(4.89:1).
landcruiser axles(30 splined longs) 3-link front 4-link rear, 14"walker air shocks, full hydro steer. 37" sticky claws, DIY beadlocks.