16 valve tach question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11983
16 valve tach question

Alright so I'm running a buggy style harness modified by Trail Tough and did a 16 valve swap. So I have the factory tach and vsr sensor installed and all that but now that I'm getting towards the end I don't care about mph just rpm if anything. I think people have hooked the sidekick gas tank gauge to a sammy cluster but I'm not sure and seeing as how most guys go through the Rubicon on half a tank on a factory sammy tank and I have a bigger sidekick tank once again I don't care to plum it.
So to the point the factory tach has been romoved and the clips for the back are there but I would have to go to great lengths to get it all sealed up and weitherproof. So I took a look at this and said screw running all these mechanical gauges for water temp etc that the computer is already getting and I decided to tap into the 16v computer for that info with this.

www.scanguage.com

This will give me water temp, volts, trouble codes, etc. Dual purpose for getting codes on the trail without carrying that expensive tool in my tool box bouncing around. The only one I don't think it will pick up is rpm's seeing as how the brown tach is disconnected and ready to be connected to the sammy tach. Anyone know how to reattach that brown wire to the 16 comp? Is it already reading that? Not a hurry I will be buying it anyhow and I just didn't want to but Brent from Trail Tough again I've called him enough in this build.
Yes I'm aware that this will not replace the fuel gauge btw
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2008, 07:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 9464
The 1.6 16 valve computer sends the signal out to the tachometer so if you connect the brown coming out of the computer to the tach input on the SCANGUAGE it will read it.

HTH

Sean

“President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,” Clint Eastwood

"This is the greatest wealth destruction I have seen by a president [obama]." Jim Cramer
AFTERMARKET4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2008, 06:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11983
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTERMARKET4X4 View Post
The 1.6 16 valve computer sends the signal out to the tachometer so if you connect the brown coming out of the computer to the tach input on the SCANGUAGE it will read it.

HTH

Sean
Thanks anyone know off the top of their head on whether Brent splices that wire in order for both the computer and sammy tach to read that data? This will let me know whether or not I need to reconnect that brown tach wire he left for the sammy tach I will not be using before I seal the whole thing up in a wire loom and tape.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 15771
Send a message via ICQ to tanzuki Send a message via AIM to tanzuki Send a message via Yahoo to tanzuki
If I remember correctly the brown wire is spliced into the coil wire so you could technically hook that wire up to any tach and it should work.