WHOA! Wheelin' in central South Dakota?!?! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2002, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 8257
WHOA! Wheelin' in central South Dakota?!?!

These are pics of my buddy(Flexlarson) in our new stoimping grounds. This land is on the Indian Reservation so it is TOTALLY untouchable by anyone without clear permission to be there-meaning it can never be shut down! We were lucky enough to hook up with some locals(Krazee bastids, BTW) that get us in whenever we feel like a drive(about 4 hours from our town). The worst thing about this terrain is that on the first hit, it will bend rocker panels, on the second hit, the land crumbles. We had a very hard time accepting that, but we were assured that it wouldn't matter because for one-it is considered "worthless land" by the locals. It can't be farmed or even used for grazing by the ranchers, so it has just been sitting there, vacant. They also assured us that every spring, the landscape is completely rearranged. I spilled a bottle of pop out there and in a few seconds it left a 4" deep hole. That means if it starts to rain we need to FAWKING MOVE if we want out anytime soon! BUT with the land so delicate, it also means NO WINCH POINTS. Talk about choosing lines wisely .
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2002, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8257
anuda'...
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2002, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 8257
How do you post more than one pic in a post?
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2002, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 8257
This was a fun section, but it cost him a rocker gaurd and a seat cover .
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2002, 11:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8257
Almost there...
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2002, 11:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8257
Here you can see why he calls himself "Flexlarson." It ain't cuz of his Zuk! Nice guy to have around during a tippy section, boy's an OX! Hmmm, spotter in a comp?
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2002, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 8257
This was pretty stupid on my part. It is 15 feet straight down on the passenger side, and a good 8 feet on this side. It started cracking and crumbling halfway across and I was trying to get him to hurry along without making him panic. All ended very well, but still my bad. But I must admit, it was kinda fun! He trusts me and will go ANYWHERE I point him. It's kinda like a little RC car-hell, it's almost actual size!
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2002, 11:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 8257
There is about 900 to 1000 acres of this out there...All free to use! What's reallly cool about it, though, is that it isn't like one little playground. It is in tiers. You start off at ground level, play around a bit, then get clever and work your way down to the next level., then the next, and the next. There were about 7-8 levels all together, and they got nastier towards the bottom. It also got harder and harder to drop levels the lower you got. It was usually about 10 feet to the next level down. The one thing that we ALMOST forgot, was to keep in mind that each level we drop down-we will have to come back up to get out! And NO winch ancors! Next time, we are going to try and find a way to start at the bottom and work up, that way we get all the really nasty stuff first, and can relax a little more the higher we get.
Oh, and one of the guys with us went to the hospital for dehydration, and NONE of us felt so great after that little foray in the desert. The sand is pure white(even though it looks tan in the pics) and it was 107 before the heat index. All I saw was a big gray spot in front of my eyes for the following week.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 977
Thats some pretty cool lookng terrain.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 8257
5 miles from where we were is where they filmed "Starship Troopers," "Armageddon," and two other movies that I can't remember. Do you think there are still some of those huge alien bugs alive over there?
Old 08-18-2002, 10:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 908
Kinda reminds me of truckhaven, down by the salton sea.

Every time it rains there, it changes big time.

It's old sea bed, but not "rock". It has a crust on it, and when you break the crust, it's fine powder, dust, or sand under it.

Makes for interesting wheeling, since there is no winch points, and trails just suddenly end (ie, drop off, vertical walls, and other fun things!)
Old 08-18-2002, 10:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 8257
Tell me about it. We had to sidehill him around a few tricky dropoffs. The ground looks loose, but is very sandy-ish. Feels like slickrock, at first. After we got him across some of these offcamber side skirting sections, you couldn't even walk behind him because it all turns into dust. You couldn't even bring another truck in behind him because it would slide off into the ravine. SPEAKING OF RAVINES! there are cracks out there that are no more than 5 feet wide and go down stories upon stories! I think I am going to invite some of the guys I don't like so well wheelin with us next time
Old 08-18-2002, 11:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 12566
Looks like carnage waiting to happen!

How many times can you run this stuff until it is destroyed and un-wheelable?
Old 08-18-2002, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 8257
Well, the second truck through an area will have basically the same challenge, but the third will have it easier. Then it rains, and the process starts over. At first we were thinking that in some ways it was cool that the "rock" gives way under severe rubbing, but then we found out what happens when you let a truck sit on it too long, or if you have to back up to start a new line. You get one, maybe two, shots at it or you're going over! That pic where he is stradling that crevace? If you look closely, you can see huge chunks of the ground slowly caving in. Not good under something as small as a Zuk! It still REALLY bothers me to see land getting trashed like that, but they keep assurring me that it is OK. But, for that matter, who are they(the locals) to say if it is or not? We are just going to keep it sane and use our heads about it. There are also a few areas out there where we found some HUGE freakin dino-bones. So wheelin' is really touch and feel, and it also gives the spotter a little extra work.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 3932
Nice lil writup CODY

Pics turned out good

ZUK with 22re yota guts and yota axles 4.10 gears,Dual Cases with 4.71 gears ,locked front welded rear,Exo cage,seats , 37x12.5 boggers on beadlocks
[url]www.midwestcrawler.com[/url]
[url]www.rollover.at/midwestzuki[/url]
flexlarson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.