looking for some guidence. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 102111
looking for some guidence.

So im selling my 2005 tundra due to "hard economic times" and i really would like to build an extreme daily driver sammi . I've spent some time looking on the web sites. pondering suspension kits and im not too sure how to make heads or tails of some of it. i want to swap to toyota axels. fuel injenjection is a must. 36" 37" tires. i would like to strech the wheel base out to 100" or so. Besically im looking for some input. on motor swap/ tcase gearing. suspension kits. ext. any and all input would be awesome.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 126040
extreme and daily driver really don't go hand in hand. believe me, i am there. you will have to live with some trade offs. first, go through the Faq's section. a good bit of answers will be in there. if you plan to swap in the bigger 1.6 motor as most folks do, then you might want to get a sidekick/tracker and swap the toy axles to that. the trail tough swap kit would be easiest, but expensive. if you like to fab stuff, you can save lots of dough. scour through the build threads here before you start to see what worked for others. i suggest the kick/tracker since you won't have get engine swap parts, do any wiring, or mess with the little details that plague any such endeavor. you can dive right into axle swap, gearing, and t-case mods. this will save time, effort, and cash. if you want to swap some other power plant in, the the samurai is a better place to start due to the divorced case. keep in mind that this case won't handle v-6 power and hard use though. if you intend to swap in a complete engine,trans./t-case combo from something else, then either will require about the same effort. the samurai weighs a little less.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 48911
I used to do hard, gnarly trails all the time for years in a mostly stock sammy. I had 31" tires, lockers front and rear, a SPOA lift. let some air out the tires and point and go.
cajunsuzukispider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 102111
ya i know all about wiring plauges. i spawped a 4.3l tbi into my 84 toy. i did the wiring harness myself and had some problems. next time the plans in buying a standalone kit from painless wiring. I want to build off a samuri base. drop in a 1.6 or 2.0. im not sure what tranny/t-case to run. Toyota axles ext. but who makes the best swap kit? rock road looks promising trial-tough is very reputable. i would like to link it. if i dont who makes the best YJ kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging squirrel View Post
extreme and daily driver really don't go hand in hand. believe me, i am there. you will have to live with some trade offs. first, go through the Faq's section. a good bit of answers will be in there. if you plan to swap in the bigger 1.6 motor as most folks do, then you might want to get a sidekick/tracker and swap the toy axles to that. the trail tough swap kit would be easiest, but expensive. if you like to fab stuff, you can save lots of dough. scour through the build threads here before you start to see what worked for others. i suggest the kick/tracker since you won't have get engine swap parts, do any wiring, or mess with the little details that plague any such endeavor. you can dive right into axle swap, gearing, and t-case mods. this will save time, effort, and cash. if you want to swap some other power plant in, the the samurai is a better place to start due to the divorced case. keep in mind that this case won't handle v-6 power and hard use though. if you intend to swap in a complete engine,trans./t-case combo from something else, then either will require about the same effort. the samurai weighs a little less.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 126040
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcfarland View Post
ya i know all about wiring plauges. i spawped a 4.3l tbi into my 84 toy. i did the wiring harness myself and had some problems. next time the plans in buying a standalone kit from painless wiring. I want to build off a samuri base. drop in a 1.6 or 2.0. im not sure what tranny/t-case to run. Toyota axles ext. but who makes the best swap kit? rock road looks promising trial-tough is very reputable. i would like to link it. if i dont who makes the best YJ kit?
since you want something a little extreme, i would say find the 2.0 and use it's tranny and t-case. 4.24 gears are available for the case (i actually have a spare case with 4.24's in the classifieds), there are double case setups which mate the stock case to a toyota case (mine is from OTT, works great), or a dana 300 twin stick is a good conversion since it weighs about the same as a yota case. be sure to do a build thread here when you start. i can't say which YJ kit is best, never tried one. or any suspension kit for that matter. i have heard some grumblings on here about rocky road, someone will likely chime in on that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.