16 valve full harness swap? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 78079
16 valve full harness swap?

Im getting the wiring done on my swap and had a question I took the entire harness out of my 95 tracker and plan to put the entire harness into my 86 sami.My question is on hooking up the ignition switch to my starter button. I dont have the switch to match up the plug anyone got a pic of which one it is?.

Also maybe what everyone is doing with the junction box that the main battery cables run into??

My goal is to keep this as simple as possible and plumb into very clean fabbed dash, controlled by toggle switches and a push buttin starter. If possible. Thanks Ryan

Master of the wire Wheel!Apprentice human clamp

Coastal Fabrication the " best damn shop in town"
Poly Performance

Pacific Fabrication
http://www.pacificfab.net/
Right Gear &Axle
Valley Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 48911
well, I took a slightly different road. I still have the stock fuse box, key starter switch.
I plugged the starter for the new motor into the stock battery connection and stock switch wire from the sammy. they have ring end terminals, I had to put new ones that fit.
for the rest of the harness, I pull one wire at a time from each plug that goes to the new motor. then I took that one wire and snaked it out of the whole harness, then laid it across the top of all the harness and plugged it back in. I did this for each wire for each plug, one plug at a time. when I was done, I lifted up the computer and all the wires from the computer go to the motor plugs, so it all came up more or less free from the rest of the harness. some wires were spliced into the rest of the harness, so I cut off the extra wire that was spliced in and freed the ecm, engine plugs, and all their wires from the extra crap. then I studied the diagrams and figured out which ones need power and ground. works fine, it was a 4.3 chevy motor.
only thing is, I had to get an aftermarket gauge cluster that was compatible with chevy. so I got a digital 6-in-1 cluster from summitracing. it was $400. but very sweet.
I had to make a custom steel box for it, then cut out on the dash so it would fit and look more or less stock. done deal.
now my only problem is to get my blinkers to blink, but I think I know what to do now, as per another thread.

oh, as to wiring in the ignition switch with no matching plug...., just get those little blue taps that are sold at radio shack. just put your new wire into one side, and the other side goes over the current wire you're using, then just squeeze.

Last edited by cajunsuzukispider; 08-09-2009 at 08:34 AM.
cajunsuzukispider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 48911
oh, I also took the huge load off the one main power wire. I got hot wires (12 gauge) coming off of ring terminals from the main huge '00' wire going to the starter terminal that power the backup lights, one for the cooling fan, one for headlights. this unloads about 30 amps from the main wire going into the fuse box.
oh, and I am using relays on those other hot wires. the main switches on the combo switch just power the relays.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 78079
Thats kinda my plan but I want to use more of the harness. As for the blue splicce deals I will pass thanks Ive had my share of those crap out. Im going to be running either a 12 volt guy panel or a made by me panel all with relays. I think the hardest part is going to be sortingout all the dome lights and stuoid crap I dont need.

Master of the wire Wheel!Apprentice human clamp

Coastal Fabrication the " best damn shop in town"
Poly Performance

Pacific Fabrication
http://www.pacificfab.net/
Right Gear &Axle
Valley Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 48911
I agree on the dome light stuff. I went and got a battery powered touch light that sticks up there, and it matches my color scheme.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 133715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Auto View Post
My question is on hooking up the ignition switch to my starter button. I dont have the switch to match up the plug anyone got a pic of which one it is?.
when i did mine i fitted the tracker colum so it just pluged in. the colum looks about 2 inches longer but if you stand it on end and hit it with a sledge so it colapses a bit then it just bolts right in there.