Is it my coil or my ECM? Update. Also need cam advice. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 24998
Is it my coil or my ECM? Update. Also need cam advice.

Well it wasn't electrical at all. I finally had a chance to have one of my sons help me today. I removed the oil filler cap and I didn't see any valves moving as he cranked the engine. I pulled the timing belt cover and the belt wasn't moving. It appears that my cam seized up. The timing belt was shredded at the bottom. The pin that connects the cam to the pulley was intact, but the pulley was ruined by the pin and the cam was cracked where the pin inserted as well.

It took a liberal ammount of PB Blaster and loosening all of the valve adjustment bolts before I could even free the cam. Luckily none of the valves were damaged by the pistons.

So now I need a new cam. Has anyone had much of a performance gain with a non stock cam, and if so, which one? Also any secret tricks to pulling the cam out of a 1.3 8 valve?

Thanks again on all the input.
fognozzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 48911
the cam comes out of the back of the head. so you gotta pull the motor or the head.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 126040
there is some good cam advice in "the facts on cylinder heads" thread by Little Black Sambo. some gains are possible with a perf. cam. might as well go for it since you need a new cam anyway.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ditchbank Wheeler

Member # 44106
What caused it to freeze up? there are no seviceable cam bearings in the head (the cam rides directly on the aluminum casting of the head). To my knowledge, which isnt great, there is not a bearing available to repair such a failure. The head or engine must be removed to remove the cam. Does the cam and rockers look dry? I would take a long look at how much oil is getting to the top end.
A bat flying at mach 10 will be just as confused as you are when it hits you.
zukesofhazzard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 12:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 24998
The sammie sat for almost a year. When I tried to start it, it had no spark. I was thinking electrical but I couldn't find anything wrong. I finally removed the oil fill cap and saw no valves were moving. We have some pretty severe temp ranges here, from -20 last winter to 100 plus in late July. It sat outside, under a car cover and I'm thinking condensation built up. I never thought to pull the valve cover and squirt some oil in there and let it sit. The first time I tried to start it, the battery was dead, so I tried a push start. I'm guessing that's when I ruined the upper cam sprocket and ruined the hole for the pin in the cam. I'll try to get some pics up of the damage.
fognozzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.