Chromoly axle brands - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 153554
Chromoly axle brands

Anyone have an opinion on the quality difference between the Chinese Trail Tough axles and the Spidertrax american made RCV axle. The Trail Tough are 225 and the Spidertrax are 500. Anyone on here that has had both and can compare?
rjrobin2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 52534
I run the TT axles and so far so good. I personally don't know anyone that has dropped 5 bills for the Spidertrax axles. I'm sure that they're comparable in quality and strength. The only difference that I saw when researching them is that for the extra $265 you get a "limited lifetime warranty" on the Spidertrax parts. TT warranty has a limited one time-one year replacement warranty.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 92407
If you really want to build a Sammy axle, go with the TT shafts and no larger than a 33. Any more cash dropped on a Sammy axle will be a waste.

Kevin

87 Zuk, Duals, 39" BFG reds, 5.29's, Flat belly, 3-link front, C/O's, Deaver rears, Ram assist, 6 shooters, Yota's w/HP front ARB, Rear v6 ifs Spool, 113"wb.

84 Yota, Detroit rear, Duals w/4.7's, ARB HP front, 5.29's, Deavers-63" rears, hi-steer, 35" MTR's.
PpaZmrf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 11983
Quote:
Originally Posted by PpaZmrf View Post
If you really want to build a Sammy axle, go with the TT shafts and no larger than a 33. Any more cash dropped on a Sammy axle will be a waste.

Kevin
x2 good advice
Old 06-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 46007
if your playing in quite wet and muddy conditions then you can even run 35's with the TT axles.
the rears aren't up to it though
mugginsmoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 27316
I'm running the TT shafts, and broke the long side about a month ago. It sheared off flush at the end of the splines just outside the diff. When it snapped, it also caused the intermediate hub gear to break into six pieces and all six locking hub bolts to break. TT would not replace my broken shaft under warranty. They also don't sell just one axle, so I had to buy a new pair. They just arrived yesterday. They said I had the shafts from the old supplier. Apparently they switched suppliers about 9 months ago, and are no longer honoring the warranty from that supplier. FYI I'm running 34" LTB's.

Last edited by DRKelly; 06-18-2010 at 08:00 AM.
DRKelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 123543
i have a set of TT's earlyer "american made" shafts ( so I was told, i was also told i have a warranty ) this was when they were selling for $480.. i have not broken one yet running 34's..( for over a year including moab and island cup ) my rig gets beat very hard.. HOWEVER my buddy built basically a replica of my zuk and got the newer TT axles and broke a set with in a few months.. same tires ect... lasted through moab.. but not the island
dirtzuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 01:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 89104
I honestly don't know the difference in materials between the two, but looking at both close up and hands on I liked the look and feel of the spidertrax axles better. They just looked and felt like they were made of a better material.

I know they cost about double what the Trail Tough axles do, and I have always liked Trail tough, but they do look and feel like a better axle.

Maybe someone who has had hands on, or knows the difference in, material and manufacture can step up and chime in.
*edit
If money was no object I would go with the spidertrax version.
FWIW they have a one time replacement policy, and from then on a materials/workmanship warranty.

Last edited by skyman6529; 06-19-2010 at 01:36 AM.
skyman6529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 25964
I thought someone said this was the source for Spidertrax's Samurai front axles. Not sure if it is true or not?
https://www.rcvperformance.com/store/catalog/index.php
lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 153554
RCV is the company that makes them, I called and talked to them. They do not list them on their site, but the make the exclusively for Spidertrax and told me that there have not been many warranty claims. I know that the RCV axles are 10 times stronger than the u-joint shaft in Dana axles from what some Bronco guys that run them have said. A great company, just wondering if there was a good comparison to the Chinese axles.
rjrobin2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 27316
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrobin2002 View Post
A great company, just wondering if there was a good comparison to the Chinese axles.
Trail Tough told me their shafts are made in Japan.

I didn't know the Spidertrax shafts were made by RCV. Hmm, I guess I see on their website now. I was probably just being cheap when I bought the TT ones for $250, lol. If I knew everything I know now, and could have foreseen myself being forced to buy another set from Trail Tough, I would have just bought the ones from Spidertrax, or upgraded to Yotas. The pictures of the RCV shafts on Spidertrax website look better than the TT ones.

Last edited by DRKelly; 06-21-2010 at 08:27 AM.
DRKelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.