Clutch cables breaking - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 133150
Clutch cables breaking

Hello all,

We have an '86 tin top. Everything is stock, my Dad uses it as a DD. One day we will modify the little beast, but for now we are leaving things alone.

But, this thing is breaking clutch cables 1 every few months. The clutch is hard to push, then it suddenly breaks over and the clutch is applied. I do know the input bearing retainer looks like a washboard. Anyone know if this could be caused by anything other than the bearing retainer?

Thanks
toyota99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 67470
Really the only way to know is to drop the tranny. Notch the crossmember thats there, and the tranny will come out pretty quick and easy. You'll be able to see everything that's going on in there. It shouldn't be acting like that.
Mope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
. . . . .

Member # 142403
sounds like the finger springs on the disc are bad. sami trany's are easy to get out they only weigh about 35lbs. drop it and check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Zed View Post
Hmmmmmm - You got me thinking. Everyone knows paper beats rock, so why not make your rock tires out of paper?
jewzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 89104
One common cause is the stock grounds going bad, or getting corroded. When this happens the starter and other high amp loads are routed through the only other available ground, the clutch cable.

When I was installing the 1.6 I forgot to hook my big ground cable to the starter bolt, and fried a clutch cable in short order. I fixed it right away, but the clutch cable was crunchy, and very binary on/off after that.

I have actually seen the insulation on a clutch cable catch on fire the entire length of the cable. It is a really common problem with stock wiring, check your grounds.
skyman6529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 139059
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman6529 View Post
One common cause is the stock grounds going bad, or getting corroded. When this happens the starter and other high amp loads are routed through the only other available ground, the clutch cable.

When I was installing the 1.6 I forgot to hook my big ground cable to the starter bolt, and fried a clutch cable in short order. I fixed it right away, but the clutch cable was crunchy, and very binary on/off after that.

I have actually seen the insulation on a clutch cable catch on fire the entire length of the cable. It is a really common problem with stock wiring, check your grounds.
This has happened to me also, although its kinda hard not to pickup. Where does the cable break? Aftermarket or oem cable? Sounds kinda like more of a problem than just the cable, but I was just wondering. Oem is the only way to go, but niether should break in a month or 2.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 129765
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman6529 View Post

Similar event just happened to me associated with the ground issue. Mine went at the tightest curve in the cable, under the front of the motor. Insulation melted away and the cable frayed. Before pulling the tranny I would suggest moving the arm where the clutch cable attaches with a pair of vice grips. It will move hard but be should be free and not bind. If it binds then you are taking things apart. Also, look closely at the cable to see if the sheathing looks like it has gotten hot as suggested. Luckily the cables aren't too expensive.
hydrogeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 44135
I have had a few of the input housings go bad keeping the throwout bearing from moving smoothly causing similar issues to what your having. Easy to replace and install a new throwout bearing, cable, and adjust correctly following factory directions and you should be good to go.

this part:
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/suzuk...-retainer.html
87 Zuk, dana 44's w/5:38 detroits,coils/3 link frt, 3 link rear 37" Krawlers
87 Zuk, SPOA, Lockright/spool, 31" Truxs MT's. shaved and trussed stock axle housings,1.6/w 1.3 head, fuel injected, 4.16 t-case
88.5 Zuk future project pending
catzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 8687
Interesting posts about the grounds. I've never heard that before.
The word "jones" is a slang term meaning to crave, want, or desire; or, to feel withdrawal from an activity of passion. The general slang meaning is often associated with addictive substance habits but can be applied on a more universal scale.
jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 48911
definitely use only OEM clutch cables. even if nothing makes them go bad, they're crap after a year or so. OEM works so much smoother it's pitiful, plus it'll last for years, assuming you don't fry it.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 133150
Thanks to all. That ground thing was news to me. Will definitely check that out. I do believe that the input bearing retainer is rough. Could be a combo of both problems. I think he has been buying the Autozone replacements. We will try the OEM next time.

Thanks again guys.
toyota99 is offline   Reply With Quote