Suzuki newbie question.... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 80494
Suzuki newbie question....

Hey guys I'm a little out of my element here so bear with me! I've always had full size rigs and my current project is restoring a 70 K5 blazer on 1 ton's, 37's, built 406 with shackle flip, X-over the whole nine yards. Problem is I've relocated to Costa Rica for the next two years on a work permit. With gas at about 4.50 a gallon big rigs are out of the question. Not to mentions cars and trucks are very expensive down here. I am looking at either a Samurai or a Tracker. The roads are terrible down here and I want something offroad capable. Here's what I'm looking at: 88 Sami tin top with one owner, completely stock with 17K kilometers on a rebuild and straight as an arrow for about 3,500 US dollars. The second rig is a 94 Tracker with 97K kilometers with the previous owner being American and has about 4K in maintainence and upgrades. New timing belt, new brakes, new 31 inch tires, GPS, A/C redone, new catalytic converter, etc.....and he wants 5,500 for it. What do you guys think? I love the Sammy being solid axle and no expensive CV joints to mess with and easy to lift and modify. On the other hand 1.3 Liter doesn't excite me too much....The tracker has a little more room (two door) and more power with the 1.6 and probably runs smoother on the road. Just wanted to what you guys think....
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 24917
Send a message via Yahoo to nissanmini2000
go sami
nissanmini2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 22726
Um toss up. I like both. When I lived there I was rolling a s10 blazer (What a POS). I think the sammy would be the cheaper of the two in the long run. If I was you I would get a Diesel Hilux double cab.

So what part are you in? I lived there for a year 12 years ago. I thought the place was a dump. I lived in Romasor and Escazu. I worked for a sports bet down there. It was fun while it lasted. I did check out a Unimog that was for sale. It was $14k which I was scrounging to buy before I left in haste.If you live in Sa Jose, check out Hotel Del Rey, LOL, that place was like the wild west! If you have been there then you will know what I mean. Don't puke in the Taxi cabs, it's their personal car and they will kick your ass, don't ask how I know, LMFAO!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 80494
I actually live outside Alajuela....don't want to have anything to do with SJO. Yeah, there's definitely some cool diesel stuff down here that we don't have access to in the states but it's costs to much. My work partner has a Hyundai Galloper, basically an SUV turbodiesel...what a POS! He paid 12K for it and it's on its third engine at 4K a pop. As far as Del Rey goes I helped make the owner's prosthesis a while back. He's a Brit who owns the place....never been there but heard all the stories. Suzuki parts are easy to get and not to costly to get. I'm thinking the Sami cause I can always ship it back to the states when I come home and then do all the cool stuff then. Highway speeds aren't really an issue as there's only only one freeway in the whole country where you can actually drive faster than 60 mph. Basically about 5K is my limit....don't want to buy something to expensive I can't rid of when I leave.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Skandinavisk pirat

Member # 30288
you can get the newer jimny in costa rica, right? get one of those
ShuDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 80494
You can get the newer Jimny but they cost a fortune! For a used one with high mileage can cost you 10K or more! Out of my budget for right now.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Skandinavisk pirat

Member # 30288
too bad, it would be perfect for your use.. I would want the samurai, but for rough roads the vitara would probably be better
Old 02-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 80494
Here's an example of what one costs down here.....08 and they don't list the mileage.

http://costarica.es.craigslist.org/cto/2149522669.html
Old 02-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Skandinavisk pirat

Member # 30288
very nice only half of what I gave for my (cheap) 05 jimny though