Pirate 4x4 banner

Trazor Build Tracker

324K views 356 replies 89 participants last post by  Raiderblaz 
#1 · (Edited)
I could not justify the expense of a razor rzr S 900 for 17k plus tax and dealer fees. Probabley would have cost me about 22k by the time I was done making payments.

So I have been looking for a long time for a geo tracker. I really wanted a beat up one that was automatic. I want my friends and family to be able to hop in and just drive it. Most of them are going for about 3k to 6k. I found this one for $1600 bucks and ended up paying a grand for it.

94 Geo Tracker, 4wd, Automatic, soft top, Fuel injected 80hp with only 112k miles on it. It runs strong, no water in the oil. Old oil in it to. 4wd works. Left it running for an hour last night in the heat. Didn't over heat. Ran cool.

I don't really know shiat about these things.

Plans

Chop it completely up. Let me know if you want to purchase any parts.
Here is my Craigslist add.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2455456109.html

1. Cut off top. Save side panels for fill panels.
2. Full roll cage 1.75 DOM or 1.5. (Anybody have 1.5 JD2 dies?)
3. No lift
4. Boat side the crap out of the sides
5. Dove nose front
6. Dove nose back
7. 14" Walker evans coil overs in the back. Sitting in my garage freebies
8. I have a lot to study on the front IFS, leaving stock for now. I will gusset the A-arms and put some reinforcement on the struts with larger bump stops.
9. Weld up the rear axle for locker
10. Manual hubs for the front
11. 34 LTB's that I have sitting in my tire shed.
12. Paint it Toyota white to match the rest of the fleet.

Purpose

No rock crawling, Just fast fun on logging roads and around the cabin.

I am hoping to have this built for about $500 bucks total with purchase after selling off all the extra body parts and junk.

This will be kinda slow build. It will be hard to get time in the garage. Another project for my lady friend to roll her eyes at. I love this kind of build. I am super pumped to build this.

See less See more
#57 ·
The front diff is the whole reason I sold my first Sidekick. I missed it so much bought another and did the toy axles. Extremely happy with it.

So X2 on the toy's but high speed will suffer.

I say toyota IFS it and total chaos kit with a rear 86 or newer rear housing and custom 4 link.

#59 ·
Got some work done this weekend. Very rough, but it is a start. I also welded up the tracker diff while I had it apart. I am going to play with this thing until I break the IFS or the rear axle. I still have not received the Toyota axles. I need to get some axle under the rear for mock up. I still don't know where I am going to mount the rear coil overs.

Main hoops are all 1 3/4 120 wall DOM.

Sliders are 2x4 1/4 wall.

The rear control arm will be the same material as the sliders. That is why the sliders are held short of the rear cab. The rocks will slide on the control arm. Guava will be making those so that they have multiple mounting locations for the coil overs.

#60 ·
Need some help. I did search and there is a bunch of junk out there. These things came in all kinds of packages acrossed the globe.

I can't see any identifying marks on this thing, because it is covered in oil, sludge and grime.

91 Geo tracker. It is the upgraded package. Auto hubs, auto, and AC. What auto model and transfer case model? I know it is the 8v motor.

I have a feeling that I am going to have to rebuild all three of them. Thing has just been sitting for a month or two and is still bleeding like a stuck pig.

#62 ·
Pulled the trigger. Started taking the IFS out of the rig and going with Toys front and rear. 5.29's Spool and spool with full hydro. Started thinking that this is way too much work to just redo it next spring with toys. Tons of parts for sale. Welded rear and complete IFS system for you in Colorado. Got another set of Free 14 Walker evan coil overs. No pictures, just gutting the shit out that I don't need.

#68 ·
This is will be my fourth tech question, so I am hoping for a better response. Am I seeing this correct? The radiator cools the motor and the auto tranny. There some lines running from the bottom of the radiator and heading to the back. I have a shit load of oil and crap under the rig, so I have not been able to get under there.

Front axle junk is out. I can't believe they installed the bolt for the lower control arm (DS) in front of the down pipes of the exaust manifold. Just torched it out of the sub frame. Sloppy fn mess.

#69 ·
This is will be my fourth tech question, so I am hoping for a better response. Am I seeing this correct? The radiator cools the motor and the auto tranny. There some lines running from the bottom of the radiator and heading to the back. I have a shit load of oil and crap under the rig, so I have not been able to get under there.
Yes, that is correct..... start cleaning.

Sean

#71 ·
Here is the latest photos and updates. Not working too hard on it. I am doing about an hour a week or so on the project.

Sorry it won't stay IFS. You can now see the extent of the damage to the subframe. It was not really worth saving the IFS to begin with, but now it really isn't.

Here is a photo of the damaged cross member. This is where the driver side lower a-arm is supposed to be. You can see in the photo that it was bent back about an inch. So basically the IFS was really not worth saving. I have sourced some toyota axles.

You can see that I had to cut the sub frame out to get the a-arm to come out of the bracket. It bent back enough so that the bolt would not come out. It pushed it back into the down pipes of the exhaust.

Here is a photo of all the junk removed from the front. I must have a bag of 100lbs in bolts and nuts. I have plenty of room now to work. So much useless junk.

#74 · (Edited)
These axles are heavier than I remember. I picked up some cheap labor from Guava Axle Services LLC.

There must have been about 10lbs of oil and junk stuck to these axles.

Little hotsy and they are ready for some cutting and torching. Picked these up for $100 bones.

Setting the wheel base. This is 101" I think I will end up being around 105 when done. I have completely gone the wrong direction from what I originally planned.

It looks like I will be able to have about 5-6 inches of uptravel in the front and miles in the rear.

We cut the gas tank out and put it on top of the rear frame to keep it out of the way. Once I get the gas tank welded in, I will cut the back half of the frame off.

#81 ·
More work from this weekend. Did this while listening to the Broncos loose...again.

Got the tank removed and cut the back half of the frame off.

Floor pan welded to the back cross tube and the sliders. I hate welding thin shit, but it went alright. I will use that black seem sealer when all said and done. Capped off the frame as well.

More tape to visualize the cage.

#88 ·
More work from this weekend. Did this while listening to the Broncos loose...again.

Got the tank removed and cut the back half of the frame off.

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv159/wampam/Tracker%20Build/IMG-20110921-00052.jpg[IMG]

Floor pan welded to the back cross tube and the sliders. I hate welding thin shit, but it went alright. I will use that black seem sealer when all said and done. Capped off the frame as well.

More tape to visualize the cage.

[IMG]http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv159/wampam/Tracker%20Build/IMG-20110925-00060.jpg
OK how you plan on climbing in? :laughing:

#82 ·
Not much work again. I got a Sunday 3 hour pass while the Broncos were getting spanked.

Once again, I don't know how you fabricators do this every day for a living. I get a little bit further and find more work than I originally thought. I got to the point this weekend where I wish I would have just bought a razor.

We took the 4runner up to the mountains on Friday and Saturday to check out the trees. I aired down the 47's to about 3lbs and blazed the fire roads in two wheel squeal.

On to pics/progress

I got the rear upper control arm mount in. It is not finished. I will have to gusset the tube.

Put the gas tank up in place. Trying to figure out how to mount and still be able to work on the gas lines and pull the tank out in the future if necessary.

You ask why I didn't just run the bar all the way across? I need storage space for cooler and tools

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.