Pirate 4x4 banner

Trazor Build Tracker

324K views 356 replies 89 participants last post by  Raiderblaz 
#1 · (Edited)
I could not justify the expense of a razor rzr S 900 for 17k plus tax and dealer fees. Probabley would have cost me about 22k by the time I was done making payments.

So I have been looking for a long time for a geo tracker. I really wanted a beat up one that was automatic. I want my friends and family to be able to hop in and just drive it. Most of them are going for about 3k to 6k. I found this one for $1600 bucks and ended up paying a grand for it.

94 Geo Tracker, 4wd, Automatic, soft top, Fuel injected 80hp with only 112k miles on it. It runs strong, no water in the oil. Old oil in it to. 4wd works. Left it running for an hour last night in the heat. Didn't over heat. Ran cool.

I don't really know shiat about these things.

Plans

Chop it completely up. Let me know if you want to purchase any parts.
Here is my Craigslist add.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2455456109.html

1. Cut off top. Save side panels for fill panels.
2. Full roll cage 1.75 DOM or 1.5. (Anybody have 1.5 JD2 dies?)
3. No lift
4. Boat side the crap out of the sides
5. Dove nose front
6. Dove nose back
7. 14" Walker evans coil overs in the back. Sitting in my garage freebies
8. I have a lot to study on the front IFS, leaving stock for now. I will gusset the A-arms and put some reinforcement on the struts with larger bump stops.
9. Weld up the rear axle for locker
10. Manual hubs for the front
11. 34 LTB's that I have sitting in my tire shed.
12. Paint it Toyota white to match the rest of the fleet.

Purpose

No rock crawling, Just fast fun on logging roads and around the cabin.

I am hoping to have this built for about $500 bucks total with purchase after selling off all the extra body parts and junk.

This will be kinda slow build. It will be hard to get time in the garage. Another project for my lady friend to roll her eyes at. I love this kind of build. I am super pumped to build this.

See less See more
#116 ·
Damnit! Wish I would have seen that earlier in my build. I wouldn't be building a crawler. Right now I am only about 500 bucks into the build, but the $$$ part is coming.

That is a nice little ride he came up with. Next one will be like that.

Wonder where I can find a hood like that. Probably at any local moto shop parts counter for $$$$

#129 ·
I cannot take credit for the idea, but I think I just brought more attention to the possibilities of making a cool little buggy at a 3rd of the cost. Plus it is a lot of fun to build your own little projects.

This little project has been a lot of fun and no stress. I have my full truggy to go play with and can tackle this as funds and time allow.

It is nice to just plop it in a corner and worry about it a week later.

Side note: Bonus comes this Friday. Time to start buying the cool expensive shit. I am about $300 dollars down already for this entire project.

Costs coming
$1200 in brackets, links, and rebuild parts from ruff stuff and Trail Gear
$1200 for the PSC full hydro
$300 in more tube
$500 in winches
$700 in spools and gears
$700 for set up. labor
$200 in misc consumables and crap.

Probably have about $5100 by the time I am done.

#131 · (Edited)
Damn that is funny. I have more comments on that table. I found it at an architectural firm that I demolished to build an office. The fooker is heavy duty 1" ply/fiberboard shit all the way around with heavy duty castors. I put the plasma and the welder underneath. Threw some 1/8 diamond plate on the top and drilled all the bench tools to it. It has the grinder, vice, and tube notcher. I drilled out the sides to run all the cables from the machines. You can pound the shit out of that table as well. I have done several u-joints in that vice.

The little bins go all the way through. They are like a map rack for drafting. I put all the scrap angle, strap and some times tube in there.

I also found some 50' cable burried at drilling site in Wyoming during some site clean up. I can roll that thing all the way out of the house and weld out in the alley.

I will take some closer pics this weekend and post up on Monday. Going to get some tube Friday afternoon for some weekend bending.

#132 ·
Question:

There are two fans on the Tracker. One mechanical and the other is electrical. Has anybody ever pulled the mechanical fan off from the motor and just ran the electrical fan only?

I am asking because I want to slope the radiator back and get as close to the motor as possible. Slanting the radiator will allowme some more up travel in the suspension.

#133 ·
Still looking for an answer above, but I think that I will be OK. I have seen some samis with the mechanical fan pulled in favor of some electric fans.

Any how. Here is an update.

It has been several weeks since I last updated this. I picked up some stickies from Spy. This thing just keeps snow balling. I will still have the 34' ltbs for the fire roads and fun, but now I will have to buy some longs for the front fro sure to run the 37' krawlers. On to the pictures

I am 5'8" and the cage is sitting about my height. It looks like I will have about 10" of up travel if I leave this at this height. I still want it a bit lower. The belly is sitting at 19 inches now.

Did some work on the roll cage.

This is where it sits now. It is tiny and looking better and better each day.

#136 · (Edited)
I've had a few of these over the years and the only real issues I had was clutch's, rust, and the wiring going to the fuel tank getting pinched between the body and a lip on the fuel tank. I actually bought a couple that quit running due to that reason and pretty much stole them from the PO's I was thinking of getting a next gen tracker, 96 and up year I believe and doing something along the lines of what you have here.

Can't wait to see it done.

#138 · (Edited)
The stock electrical fan is an auxiliary for when the A/C is on.

An electric fan is a great idea, but you will need one that pulls more air/CFM to cool the entire engine.

I prefer an OEM fan from a junk yard rather than anything aftermarket. OEM fans are more durable pull less amps, and move more air. 90% of them come with a shroud and they are about $150 less. The Lincoln mark series cars have one of the best sized, most efficient fans I have come across and come with a shroud perfect for the Samurai 1.3/1.6-8v/1.6-16v radiators.

Doorman makes a OEM replacement that looks identical and performs well if you absolutely have to have new.

#139 ·
Thanks for the fan response. No pun. I have pulled the ac and sold it. Won't really do me any good. Less junk around the motor, less pull on the motor....I am going to use the electric fan that came with the truck and watch the heat when I first take it out.....Not sure if that day will ever come. I will report back.

#140 ·
Maybe I am misunderstanding, are you going to try the electric fan that came stock on the track/kick?

What I am saying is that the electric fan that came stock on the tracker is not big enough, it is only for aux cooling. If you run that fan there's a high chance you will overheat before you get out of the garage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.