Fab Table Kit... Its coming - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor's Marketplace > Tools and Supplies
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 122983
Fab Table Kit... Its coming

I have been around fabrication for many years. I guess you can say I have been around it for my entire life. Over the years I can say one thing holds true on any project you are working on. A solid well built fabrication table is a must. I have built a lot of things on a small table that fits well in a home garage. As a matter of fact a 2 car garage in the backyard is where I learned to weld and built my first four linked Jeep in 1994. I am working on a fab table kit to offer those interested.

The table kit I am working on measures 2x4 feet. The table will have provisions to clap down your project in the center of the table. Without giving away too much detail I think you get the idea so far. For a little extra coin we will offer a Blanchard ground fab table for those needing a super flat work area. We will also offer fab tables and in larger sizes if needed.

I am directing this thread more to the at home fab guys with limited space. What size table would you like to see? Would a 2x4 be good for you? This will possibly be a freight ship item so we can go bigger? Would you like to see a turn key kit with the materials to build the legs included or would you prefer to receive a cut sheet with the table top to cut these items yourself?

Post up if you are interested.

Thanks
Dan
JMRMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 122983
Thanks for the calls on the table this morning. We will have some pics up soon of a couple we are currently working on. I am still interested in hearing some feedback from you guys.

-Dan
JMRMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 113509
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRMFG View Post
Would you like to see a turn key kit with the materials to build the legs included or would you prefer to receive a cut sheet with the table top to cut these items yourself?
I'd prefer just the top and a cut sheet for the legs. Sounds like a great idea except the freight part. I saw where Miller was going to offer something similiar on their website.
bighornbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 75292
Got a ball park on pricing?
1TON73K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
My table is a 3'x6' surface plate I picked up cheaply at an auction. Somehow 2'x4' sounds a bit small. And I'd say a top kit would be the ticket - and a cut list and plans for the legs.
GET INVOLVED - Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition

'93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500 NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 170K
'85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 74576
If you already have a 3'x6' table of course a 2'x4' sounds small. A 2'x4' sounds GREAT when you don't really have one at all.

I'll have to keep an eye on this. JMR has taken care of me in the past and I'd like to give them some more business.
tmorgan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
Actually, my 3'x6' is on the small side and I run into times I wish it was larger. A 2'x4' is a quarter of a sheet of plywood. That just seems awfully small.
GET INVOLVED - Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition

'93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500 NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 170K
'85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 122983
A 2x4 table may seem a little small but the size is very workable. I worked on a table this size for many years. For many people it will get the job done without taking up too much space. Grant it a 2x4 table top is not going to allow tons of room for other things to be sitting on the table. I also have worked with much larger tables and have found I normally work on one side of the table anyway with the rest of the table becoming the shop catch all.

The 2x4 size is the starting point for the fab table kits. We will be offering larger sizes as well. We have 3x4, 4x4, and a 4x6 in the plans also. The 2x4 table top will be the only one able to ship out via UPS. So to some people this may be a benefit.

The price point for each table top will be released once we get all of the information together. I should have pricing on the base model 2x4 in place along with pictures around the end of the week.

Be sure to PM me or post up if you have any questions. Thanks for your interest in this project.

Thanks

Dan DuBose
Old 02-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5114
Send a message via AIM to PARANOID56
in for some pics
1998 Honda XR650L
TLCA member #12202
PARANOID56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 53344
You mount some casters on it and that becomes a very handy tool! I have a very simple roll around table with a shelf under it about that size and I build axles off of it fab bumpers etc etc pretty much anything you do on your larger tables minus collect all the extra crap! Would love to have a "fab" table though. Is this going to be similar to the miller arc station. Impatiently waiting on photos.....
PureFunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 122983
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureFunction View Post
You mount some casters on it and that becomes a very handy tool! I have a very simple roll around table with a shelf under it about that size and I build axles off of it fab bumpers etc etc pretty much anything you do on your larger tables minus collect all the extra crap! Would love to have a "fab" table though. Is this going to be similar to the miller arc station. Impatiently waiting on photos.....
I have not checked out Millers product. The table top we are working on will have a very nice feature.... t-slots to clap down your work. Pictures are coming soon.

Thanks
Dan
Old 02-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 122983
Just got an update. I hope to have the first few table tops on hand Friday afternoon. Pics will soon follow.

Dan
Old 02-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 26394
I saw the new Miller arc station, its pretty nice. The price seemed a little steep, I would like to see yours and compare the two.

Last edited by broncofreak2000; 02-25-2010 at 03:02 PM.
broncofreak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
skullfuckery

Member # 29016
i have 2 tables, they are polar opposites of each other and both ater extremely handy.

table one is my home table, 4'x8'x2'tall it has a hefty vice on one corner and 4 pivoting casters. it was made out of mostly free stuff and has more than suited my needs. i kept it short becuase the subframe i used was short to start with but it also works well for putting heavy projects on it.

table 2 is one i use at the shop. it is 18"x30"x42"tall. it has a 1/4-5/16" thick top, 4 pivoting casters and a 110 lincoln welder and plasma cutter sitting on a shelf under it. it is great for fabbing bracketry, using it as a rolling work space, draging under a vehicle[on a rack] for welding, and small enough that it doesnt collect shit like my 4x8 and shop benches do. it ia a good working hieght as well, you arent stooped over all the time.
trkklr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 122983
Well I hope to pick up the 2x4 tops tomorrow. If I am able to get them I will be sure to post up pictures. The tables will not be complete. The pics tomorrow will just be the tops.

Dan
Old 02-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
I have a table that's probably 2'x3'6" and though it's small it's still my favorite fab/welding table. I do pretty much all of my TIG welding on it, and a lot of misc teardown/rebuild stuff where I want a clean metal table (all of my others are wood). One of my biggest issues with the table I have is clamping parts together so this sounds like it would work really well for me, especially if it can be put on casters, and set to the same height as my existing table so they could be doubled up.

Overall Winner, 2012&13 KOH EMC. Gettin it done in a stocker!
Co-Dog #4432-KOH 2011 #88-KOH 2010, Crew Chief - KOH 2009, 2008
StinkBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 31552
Send a message via AIM to abrogate Send a message via MSN to abrogate
I suppose I am confused with what you are offering. I have what I call a fab table, 4'x4'x38" tall. It is too small. I am looking into building a 4x8 table with a 3/4" or 1" top. So how thick is your top going to be? My current table is only 1/4" and heavily reinforced underneath. I recently warped the top and I need something much thicker.

Is your table going to be kinda like an Acorn fixture table? Kinda like the stuff that weldsale offers?
Old 02-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 122983
I was hoping to have the tops today. My local supplier has not delivered the materials yet. It may be Monday before I can get my hands on them.

Dan
Old 02-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 122983
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrogate View Post
I suppose I am confused with what you are offering. I have what I call a fab table, 4'x4'x38" tall. It is too small. I am looking into building a 4x8 table with a 3/4" or 1" top. So how thick is your top going to be? My current table is only 1/4" and heavily reinforced underneath. I recently warped the top and I need something much thicker.

Is your table going to be kinda like an Acorn fixture table? Kinda like the stuff that weldsale offers?
The more economy tables will be 3/8" thick tops. They will be slotted so you can clamp down anywhere on the worktop.

We will be making thicker table tops that are blanchard ground on all 6 sides. On these they will be drilled and tapped. Another great feature will be holes for dowel pins. This will be used to locate fixtures and such. More information coming very soon as these as well.

I have worked off of 2x4 tables (which I prefer to be 48" high). I have also owned a few 4x8 tables. On the 4x8 tables you rarely ever use the entire table top. Well I take that back the opposite end from where you are working begins to collect tools and other shop stuff. LOL Just another area to clean. For some people a 4x8 table top is very nice to have as long as you have room in the shop for it. I am putting together a new work shop here in Dothan to work out of. I am going to have a 2x4 and a 4x4 table in the shop. The tables and workshop will be for my personal use. Not to run a business, but I think the tables will get the job done for what I need.

Dan

Thanks
Dan
Old 02-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrogate View Post
I suppose I am confused with what you are offering. I have what I call a fab table, 4'x4'x38" tall. It is too small. I am looking into building a 4x8 table with a 3/4" or 1" top.
I think what we have here is a difference in terms. I have a heavy steel table, roughly 2'x3' that I refer to as my welding or fab table. It's the perfect size for assembling and welding parts, and occasionally axles. It's large enough to hold whatever part I'm working on, but small enough that it doesn't collect too much junk, and when it does it's quick to clean off.

I also have a 4'x13' table that's used for building entire cars on. I refer to it as my chassis table. It's 1" thick and weighs roughly 3000lbs. It's fantastic for building a whole chassis but it sucks for small welding jobs.

I use the little table for building all the pieces of a project, the big one for assembling them into a car. The little one gets much more use.

Overall Winner, 2012&13 KOH EMC. Gettin it done in a stocker!
Co-Dog #4432-KOH 2011 #88-KOH 2010, Crew Chief - KOH 2009, 2008
StinkBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 143178
Send a message via Skype™ to Dan DuBose
Here is a picture of the 2x4x3/8 table top I picked up today. Keep in mind this is just the table top sitting on my roll around card. I am shipping it off to Chicago tomorrow for a tradeshow. I will have some more on the floor early next week. If you have any questions call us or PM me.

http://www.jmrmfg.com/featured-tools...cation-tables/

Old 03-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 143178
Old 03-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 74576
Looks good! The pricing is way better than I expected. I think it would probably cost about the same $$$ out here for a 2x4x3/8" piece of steel that has been outside for the last 2 years.
tmorgan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 143178
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorgan4 View Post
Looks good! The pricing is way better than I expected. I think it would probably cost about the same $$$ out here for a 2x4x3/8" piece of steel that has been outside for the last 2 years.
Ready to throw down for one? We will have more sizes very soon.

Dan
Old 03-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 61598
I'm interested... What will the shipping be like to 11552? What does the 2x4 top weigh?

What is the price raise for a 1/2" top?

thanks
cccbroncos is offline   Reply With Quote