Harbor Freight Refridgerated Air Dryer - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Torchmate CNC Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #26 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka308 View Post
Wayne - can you attach or send a photo of your plumbing with the dryer between the compressor and the tank?

Does anyone have details on how (per the manual) to "adjust the hot gas bypass valve" which the manual specifically says it doesn't cover how to do?
I don't have one, but I know I've posted one in here somewhere talking about it...
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com
10% PIRATE COUPON CODE (not valid for harnesses and PCM tuning): pirate4x4

2013 - Trail Gear Western Series Regional Champion
2013 - Smittybilt EMC Series National Champion

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, AllTech Motorsports, A1 Performance Transmissions and Converters, Randy's Racing Transmissions, PRP Seats, Reid Racing, Radflo, CBR Performance, Trail Gear, RuffStuff Specialties, LifeTime LED Lights, Rugged Race Radios, DynoMAX, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 163388
Does anyone have the secret code?

I'm lame and have never signed up for the newsletter
SomeGuyFromOlympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:28 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 214437
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
Not tryong to hijack- have any of you had freezing issues with your HF dryer? Did you have to make any adjustments. Seems if my dryer runs for a while, the air flow will dramitically decrease. According to the owners manual, that is because the internals are freezing.
I would think you might check the Freon also if it's freezing up. I have a 10 year old Kaeser High Temp 3 in 1 dryer that's been restricting air flow after a period of time and I noticed one of the low side lines is frosting up which means the Evaporator is probably freezing up too and restricting air flow. These things are nothing more than a small AC system so if it's freezing up it could be low on Freon. I have a friend who's in the Commercial Refrigeration business coming out to check mine.
Rcecarbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 322441
What is the relative humidity coming out?

Hi Guys, I've been experimenting with desiccant air dry chemicals and am trying to get compressed air that's as dry as possible. I've seen the RH down to about 17% at about 17C/62F with calcium chloride. But I'm thinking to invest in one of these dryers. Does anyone know what the RH is coming out of the unit at about 17C or other temp?

Thanks!
rnorman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #30 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 36608
Got my HF air dryer yesterday, I thought that if I ordered it overnight it wouldn't get beat up going ground. Boy was I wrong. It was all beat to hell. Screws pulled through on the top which makes the front looks like it is going to fall off.
I managed to put everything back together and wire it up. You would think this thing would come with a power cord. Powered up at least. I didn't finish connecting all the air lines, we will see if everything works tonight.
Geojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 127205
Old thread, but I'm hoping to find some information about my HF compressed air dryer. Plugged mine in, turned it on, all is well. Add the air line in, and air starts pissing somewhere inside. Open the right side panel, and there is this little hole pictured here on the top of the water trap, and its just leaking. loudly. That normal?

fortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 163388
no

mine sounds like a soft drink machine
just hummmms in the corner...

probably should plug it
Old 05-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 89324
Yep mine sounds like a small beer fridge and then the fan occasionally kicks in. I plumbed mine earlier this year once I got really frustrated with water issues. Having a drop shared between the plasma and blast cabinet can cause lots of problems... Refrigerated Air Dryer, Fab Work - Mint Design

I'll check out mine when I get home. Leaking air isn't normal.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 127205
Didn't think so.... But now I'm thinking, maybe high pressure air shouldn't even be in the water trap.... I don't think so anyway.

If someone could take their water trap off (totally unscrew it from the machine) then add air to the dryer, and tell me if the 1/2" pipe that the trap threads into has air pressure feeding into it, that would completely confirm if my unit is working the same, or not haha.

Thanks for the quick responses!
Old 05-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #35 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
It's a water separator... What makes you think there shouldn't be any air there? How else would it separate the water from the air?
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, AllTech Motorsports, A1 Performance Transmissions and Converters, Randy's Racing Transmissions, PRP Seats, Reid Racing, Radflo, CBR Performance, Trail Gear, RuffStuff Specialties, LifeTime LED Lights, Rugged Race Radios, DynoMAX, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
Old 05-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 127205
I just figured it wouldn't be HIGH PRESSURE. Thinking maybe it is regulated internally before the trap. You are right though, it must have air inside.

So back to the original issue. The hollow screw on the top, should that be there? Should it be plugged?
Old 05-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 163388
I think thats the thing that I took completely off

My machine is mounted overhead, and I just put a long drop, and a ball valve at the end
Old 05-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #38 (permalink)
MORE ROCKS LESS TALK

Member # 141570
I realize this is an old thread too, but you guys drug it back out of the dumpster.

Did anybody else think it was odd that the dryer panel (post # 17) is labeled "temperature" but the gauge plainly shows to be a PRESSURE gauge? How's that work?
dirtydawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #39 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
First thing I'd do is take it back to HF and get it fixed
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com

Old 05-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 127205
It was purchased online, don't have receipt, and it was purchased about 8 months ago. (bought it the same time as my table plans and gantry, but just finished everything and started to cut, so I didn't know the dryer had a problem until this last week)

If someone can tell me if their unit has this hollow screw, without a plug, then I can just plug it and be on my merry way. Otherwise, I'm thinking of buying another, and sending this one back as a return. The intake and output pipes are at like a 10 degree difference to the machine, pretty major defect in craftsmanship.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 163388
If you haven't checked it for 8 months, thats kind of on you (my opinion)

plug it with something and see if it works

or look in the little manual and see what it shows in the exploded diagram

I'd say order the part from the diagram, but everything that I have tried to order never seems to show up.....so I have learned to just fix HF stuff myself(or dumpster it)
Old 05-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 32262
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortCollinsZJ View Post
Old thread, but I'm hoping to find some information about my HF compressed air dryer. Plugged mine in, turned it on, all is well. Add the air line in, and air starts pissing somewhere inside. Open the right side panel, and there is this little hole pictured here on the top of the water trap, and its just leaking. loudly. That normal?

Yes there is a screw that should be in that hole.

I have no idea what it does but mine has a tall head screw in there
Gusagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 198012
Look lets not over complicate this. All that is, is the condensate auto blow down. When it fills with water it raises a float and dumps the water out. I plumed mine to a fancy one thats on the out side of the unit. For all purposes you can run the half inche line to a container and blow it off when it has water in it.
Randy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 127205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusagus View Post
Yes there is a screw that should be in that hole.

I have no idea what it does but mine has a tall head screw in there
Fuckin A. Thank you much. This post was worth a lot to me.

Sure as hell beats dealing with Headache Freight.

Last edited by fortCollinsZJ; 05-26-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 89324
Yep sorry been really busy and didn't have time to check. However I can 2nd the screw missing.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 127205
Awesome. That will come in very handy for someone else too, I'm sure.

It is also nowhere to be found on the diagram of the water separator in the manual. No surprise there.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 89324
I had mine freeze up today.... Was running the table for a few hours, then took lunch for an hour and got back to cutting when I had a loss of pressure due it freezing up. Talked to tech support and just adjusted the hot gas bypass valve with an 8mm Allen wrench. Raised the EV pressure to 38psi and all was okay after that. I can post the "guide" the that Harbor Freight emailed me if anyone is interested.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #48 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad_Turbo View Post
I had mine freeze up today.... Was running the table for a few hours, then took lunch for an hour and got back to cutting when I had a loss of pressure due it freezing up. Talked to tech support and just adjusted the hot gas bypass valve with an 8mm Allen wrench. Raised the EV pressure to 38psi and all was okay after that. I can post the "guide" the that Harbor Freight emailed me if anyone is interested.
I'd like to see it. Have never had mine freeze up, but still... I did have to adjust mine when I got it, though. I can't remember where I posted that procedure....

Here is what I did on mine:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...6#post12688596

Quote:
If you buy this, there is a quick adjustment to be made - or at least on mine. I noticed that when the fan kicked on, the temp would drop considerably. So I adjusted the point where the fan kicks on. Now the air is still ~145*C going in, but the air going out is around 0-2*C, which is still low enough for the dew point and to pull water.

I ran my plasma on purge for an hour straight. The compressor cycled 4 or 5 times and the air temp never got higher than that 0-2*C...

Basically I set the fan low enough that it still cycles when the compressor is off. If you are looking at the control box (white box under the temp gauge), there are three phillips head screws. One in the top right, and then two in the middle'ish. The one on the left, was set at around 18, leave it. The one on the right was set at 10, I left it. The one on the top right was all the way down, so I simply raised it up to about the first white line.

Left side of the box is for the compressor. Right side is for the fan. The screw on the top right I'm assuming is a fine adjustment for the one below it. They both do the same thing, trigger the fan on/off setting....
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com

Old 05-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 89324
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
I'd like to see it. Have never had mine freeze up, but still... I did have to adjust mine when I got it, though. I can't remember where I posted that procedure....

Here is what I did on mine:

HF Compressed Air Dryer - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
Yep yours was the tutorial I read first while I was waiting on hold for 20 minutes. The tutorial they gave me had nothing to do with that control box. The hot gas bypass valve adjustment just raised the output temp, I think mine was hovering right at 0C, but it must have been dipping below as well, hence the freezing issue. I ran the table for an hour and a half afterwards with no problem after I bumped up the EV pressure.

Here it is. http://mint-design.ca/wp-content/upl...ypassvalve.doc

My gauge is not the same, so the needle position (1 o'clock) doesn't matter, it's what the actual pressure is.