Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (/forum/)
-   Torchmate CNC Forum (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/125-torchmate-cnc-forum/)
-   -   AVHC Help / Question (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/torchmate-cnc-forum/1040756-avhc-help-question.html)

Speed_Freak_039A 01-28-2012 10:11 PM

AVHC Help / Question

Got my AVHC all setup. Seems to work great except one thing.

I ran a drawing through with the AVHC not in cut mode. I noticed after it dropped to the plate, raised to pierce height, then went back down to cut height that it was almost riding on the plate. I was testing using 3/16" steel.

I got the pierce height at .15 and cut at .06 like the hypertherm book says. So what I did was hit start, after it dropped to cut height and starting moving I shut the avhc off and then paused the program and used some feeler guages to see what the gap was. I couldnt even get a .03" feeler to fit, not even close.

Ended up needing the avhc set at .10 to get about .06 clearance on the plate.

Anyone else had this issue? The torque is set at 15, I even tried 12. Because sometimes it pushes the plate down which bounces back up and could cause this issue. Most of the time it doesnt really move. I also felt a tiny bit of play vertically in the avhc shaft mechanism, maybe they dont have a anti-backlash piece like the xy drive screws?

Im assuming the pierce height is off also, but cant check that because when it comes to pierce and I shut the avhc off, somehow the torch moves to the cut height, maybe Im too slow and it gets there just in time. I dont know.

comeoutswingin 01-28-2012 10:29 PM

oh yeah.. I have this problem. I called tech support and was told "we're not sure why its like that, so you're going to have to manually check it every time. We'll look into it and give you a call back later this week." That was MONTHS ago, no call back.

I set my pierce at .23 for an .18 pierce height at my cut at .19 for a .14 cut height with a TD plasma.

Touch torque on mine cannot go below 15 or the motor will stall, and I have lubed and aligned and re aligned the rails just as I was told on the phone with tech support. 15 really can flex thinner sheet metal so I have to guess peirce height on 16 ga and thinner.

Speed_Freak_039A 01-28-2012 11:13 PM

Mine stalls at anything under 12. Seems like it would be easy for them to set it up as a ohmic setup since hypertherm already had their consumables ready for it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

jimcolt 01-29-2012 05:06 AM

It doesn't take much torque to deflect the plate .03"....so that likely is what is happening. As long as the pierce is completed at close to the correct height...there will be no damage to the consmables...and if it starts moving with too close of a cut height it will correct as soon as it starts monitoring the arc voltage feedback. That is when the .06" height (with Hypertherm shielded consumables) is critical for best cut quality.

The ohmic plate sensing works great in most applications....however if you have water on top of the plate it will sense the water....so it is not perfect! Some height control systems have both ohmic and torque sensing.....you can choose depending on need.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Speed_Freak_039A 01-29-2012 09:55 AM

Sounds good. Thankx Jim.

BESRK 01-29-2012 02:28 PM

I set my initial cut height a little on the "high" side anyway to keep the Shield from dragging on the "pierce splash". With my typical "sensing delay" set at .7ish, the THC goes into Auto pretty quick and drops to the desired cut height. As such (with my 1250), I usually pierce up to 3/16" with a .18 pierce height and set my initial cut height at about .09"-.10" or so..

I've learned not to get too wrapped up with feeler gauge numbers. Instead, I check the first couple pieces of an array for deflection, and adjust voltage numbers up/down a bit to dial it in.

Since I've been cutting with my THC for about 3yrs now, I've got my "settings" dialed in pretty close for my setup. Just keep good notes to get your initial "startup" pretty close and then fine tune as needed.

comeoutswingin 01-29-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimcolt (Post 13935149)
It doesn't take much torque to deflect the plate .03"....so that likely is what is happening. As long as the pierce is completed at close to the correct height...there will be no damage to the consmables...and if it starts moving with too close of a cut height it will correct as soon as it starts monitoring the arc voltage feedback. That is when the .06" height (with Hypertherm shielded consumables) is critical for best cut quality.

The ohmic plate sensing works great in most applications....however if you have water on top of the plate it will sense the water....so it is not perfect! Some height control systems have both ohmic and torque sensing.....you can choose depending on need.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

So you're saying that 3/8ths plate is able to be deflected by that little motor?

Dnmeistr 01-30-2012 01:40 PM

Check your mechanical assembly for any slop, either in the cassette or the lifter station itself, grab the torch and try to move it up and down what do you see moving. Is the lead screw moving, the spring coupler, the lifter block; there could be slop in the threads of the lead screw and the brass coupler. With the AVHC box off turn the spring coupler with your fingers how much do you have to turn the coupler before the lifter block starts moving, these are all checks you can perform to see where the slop is coming from.

jimcolt 01-30-2012 02:27 PM

Well....the original poster was talking about 3/16".....but yes, 3/8" plate can easily get deflected by that amount....especially after the table slats get chewed up.....or if it is a plate that has some natural warp (pretty common) and is sitting on the table in a way that it can deflect.

Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by comeoutswingin (Post 13936930)
So you're saying that 3/8ths plate is able to be deflected by that little motor?

bufordlee 04-21-2012 06:08 AM

18ga avhc

This post is a little different from the original, but hope I can get some advice.
I'm helping a guy with his Torchmate-X and A120 setup. I can't get the settings for 18ga to cut b/c of a m100/m101 piercing issue.
We believe the problem has been the avhc box the entire time. We've had plate contact on all material we've attempted to cut. Sometimes plate contact around an entire part, some after a second or so. Torchmate says raise the volts, but it doesn't matter where the volts are set, low, medium, high, higher, to the moon...we still have plate contact.
The last round with Torchmate, we were told to run the avhc in manual mode and it ran the parts perfect. Although we have our pierce and height set at .28 and .26 or something to get an actual .16-.18 height.
18ga still won't cut even though the A120 book shows settings for 20ga using 40A consumables.
Any comments or suggestions?

wotrboi 04-22-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bufordlee (Post 14279828)
This post is a little different from the original, but hope I can get some advice.
I'm helping a guy with his Torchmate-X and A120 setup. I can't get the settings for 18ga to cut b/c of a m100/m101 piercing issue.
We believe the problem has been the avhc box the entire time. We've had plate contact on all material we've attempted to cut. Sometimes plate contact around an entire part, some after a second or so. Torchmate says raise the volts, but it doesn't matter where the volts are set, low, medium, high, higher, to the moon...we still have plate contact.
The last round with Torchmate, we were told to run the avhc in manual mode and it ran the parts perfect. Although we have our pierce and height set at .28 and .26 or something to get an actual .16-.18 height.
18ga still won't cut even though the A120 book shows settings for 20ga using 40A consumables.
Any comments or suggestions?

Sounds like your cutting speed could be too slow.