Tutorial Recommendation - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Torchmate CNC Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 132992
Tutorial Recommendation

I would really like to see another video tutorial from TM concentrating specifically on how to use layers in TM cad. IE: Can I post a picture in a background layer and lock it and then work on a layer on top of that for tracing, reference, etc? Moving layers around. Cutting objects out of one layer and pasting them to a new one, and so forth.
jdh239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 163388
I started a thread a while back with the 'how-to' requests

it does nothing

I hope yours works!

(multi tool use for me)
(and layers)
SomeGuyFromOlympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 212704
I second the motion for more how to videos. I found them very useful and refer to them often!!!!!!!!!
guls67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 188229
This is actually a huge problem for me.
Well not huge yet, but will be when I get a plate marker.
It is actually holding up the plate marker project.

I want to import all my parts with a separate text layer for the piece mark.
TMCAD can't keep the layer separate.
TMCAD is a stripped version of Signlab. Full blown signlab has no problem working in layers, but is really expensive.

I need to verify BobCAD can work with layers and that is where I'm headed when I have time.
Richie_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 173323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie_Rich View Post
This is actually a huge problem for me.
Well not huge yet, but will be when I get a plate marker.
It is actually holding up the plate marker project.

I want to import all my parts with a separate text layer for the piece mark.
TMCAD can't keep the layer separate.
TMCAD is a stripped version of Signlab. Full blown signlab has no problem working in layers, but is really expensive.

I need to verify BobCAD can work with layers and that is where I'm headed when I have time.
bobcad has no problem with layers.
pyrogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 115338
Why work in layers, layers can define the cut order and the material size associated with it but if you screw up your database your are going to mess up your cad installation, namely the cuttmpl.mdb file. It is easier to either let the software define the cut order or you do it your self by going to Layout then Sequence if you create tool paths separately.

There has already been a writeup on how to trace an image on the stickies page, doesn't get any easier than that.

There are two ways to multi tool path the hard way and the easy way, I prefer the easy way, as in make a path on all of your plate marking and create a online tool path then make a path on all of your plasma cutting and create a male tool path, drag the lower left corner of the tool paths to 0,0, click on the plate marking tool path and export that as selected, then click on the plasma tool path and export that as selected.

Define tool offset using the instructions in the setup and start guide and when importing into the driver software import the plate marker file first, then on the configuration screen select X, Y of import and set x and y to 0, zero your program coordinates off of your plasma tool, then select the plate marker and run the program, them import the plasma file, select the tool plasma and run that program.
Dnmeistr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 188229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnmeistr View Post
Why work in layers.............
There are two ways to multi tool path the hard way and the easy way, I prefer the easy way, as in make a path on all of your plate marking and create a online tool path then make a path on all of your plasma cutting and create a male tool path, ..............
Sounds fine, but I often have 100 plus parts on a 5x10 sheet with maybe 25 or more different piece marks. I've had up to 600 parts on a sheet.
First you need to make sure the pieces marks are at least grouped with the parts so when you nest they don't all end up in a corner.
Once you finish the nest, you either need to ungroup or break path depending on if you imported the dxf with the piece mark already on it.
You would have to select only the 100 piece mark texts and create the online path.
Then select the 100 parts only and create a male path.

If you can't turn on and off layers, selecting the two different types is very time consuming.
Richie_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 123339
how bout one on the auto trace on full cad version?
kbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 132992
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenz View Post
how bout one on the auto trace on full cad version?
If you are referring to the scan tools, I created one last week but haven't posted it yet. I was thinking about redoing it as I wasn't very happy with the first two recordings..... so it is in the works.

If you are referring to something else beside the scan (accuscan) tools, you will need to clarify.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121033
How about autocad to TM!
flatblack51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 132992
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack51 View Post
How about autocad to TM!
Unfortunately I don't have autocad, but I bet someone out there with it would be willing.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 134153
What about making a video for how to edit G-code? Post a list of what each G-code command means and how to use them. It could be a series of videos as I know it will be very long and in depth discussion. Ex. How to edit G-code to do edge starts on thick material, how to create program pauses for people with smaller overheating plasma systems or small compressors......... The list could really be endless.

Just a thought.
Thanks
Andrew
BigRedSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 132992
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedSilverado View Post
What about making a video for how to edit G-code? Post a list of what each G-code command means and how to use them. It could be a series of videos as I know it will be very long and in depth discussion. Ex. How to edit G-code to do edge starts on thick material, how to create program pauses for people with smaller overheating plasma systems or small compressors......... The list could really be endless.

Just a thought.
Thanks
Andrew
sorry about my delayed responses. Had an accident on Sunday that almost broke my foot. I still can't walk on it and plan on getting a second opinion today on it. I like this idea.... I just have to learn it myself first.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 184847
is there a sticky yet for all these videos to be grouped in one place... having nest troubles and on the hunt for that one video. not sure if it was the main focus of that particular video or not. but maybe a simple description of what is in each one so its easy to find?

i may have to insert foot in mouth as i have not really looked yet just thinking out loud or out my ass, really one in the same
North Shore Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 132992
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Shore Fab View Post
is there a sticky yet for all these videos to be grouped in one place... having nest troubles and on the hunt for that one video. not sure if it was the main focus of that particular video or not. but maybe a simple description of what is in each one so its easy to find?

i may have to insert foot in mouth as i have not really looked yet just thinking out loud or out my ass, really one in the same

No, nobody has created a sticky for them yet. I think we are just waiting for TM to do that.

Here is the one I did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOvtwyTQv30

Description has shortcuts for certain sections. What problem are you having with it?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 184847
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Shore Fab View Post

yup ill insert foot only took a few mins to find, was on page four. would have taken less time if i didnt have ADD and have to look at some other cool shit i had forgotten about

I draw my stuff in another companies cad/cam software and import the dxf to tm cad and work with it from there. only because i am still not up to speed on the tm cad and can draw faster in the other one. your videos are helping tho and are a gold mine of info.

i think my biggest problem is just making parts into groups and when to do so and not to. ill watch the video and try applying what i learn. i normally always have a problem when i import from plasma cam and it throws off the process one way or another.

EDIT: i am about ten mins into this. do you have to make duplicates for it to nest them? i manually nested and got 21 complete parts so should i duplicate till i have say 25 and then nest? or is there a way to take my drawing ( consist of 5 different slotted and tabbed parts to make one assy) and just select that and the sheet size and tell it to fill it?

Last edited by North Shore Fab; 09-18-2012 at 04:48 PM.
North Shore Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121033
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh239 View Post
Unfortunately I don't have autocad, but I bet someone out there with it would be willing.
dropped the new computer off at my buddies machine shop ad he's gonna load autocad and solidworks on it for me. I have a good customer that uses both but never sends files that TM can adapt to very easy.
flatblack51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 123339
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack51 View Post
How about autocad to TM!
I just do DXFOUT in r12
kbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 87853
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack51:14807022
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh239 View Post
dropped the new computer off at my buddies machine shop ad he's gonna load autocad and solidworks on it for me. I have a good customer that uses both but never sends files that TM can adapt to very easy.
You lucky bastid solidworks!
Torchmate X 5x10 powermax 85, plate marker always burnin!
kyky777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 227992
I have solidworks on my laptop, not a clue how to use it though
Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote