Backing up cad files and setting files - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Torchmate CNC Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 101524
Backing up cad files and setting files

I love the torchmate forum, it is always full of great tips and advice, now if I would only follow it ! Great advice on backing up drawings and driver settings, pain when you lose them. But hey I have no problems I have a laptop and so does my son, double protection as both are used to run my table....what are the odds of both going down....now the story begins...

Nice weather got a day off, time to go wheeling with my buds...two hours into the trailhead my ham radio at my side, emergency traffic for me on the ham. Go ahead I say, you need to get home I'm told, some fine piece of human waste has kicked in your door to your house ! 3 hours later I get home today.

Long story short two tv's, daughters jewelry and dang it both laptops are gone along with the crooks. I guess I had better start backing up files and settings to an external hard drive and hope it does not get stolen. Stupid crooks left my dongle tho.....:-)

So once I source a new laptop I will figure out how to download tmcad back to it. I'm sure a few calls to torchmate support will be in order to dial back in my settings....

But hey the most important part is nobody was home to get hurt and it's only time and property.....

Sorry no info from me on this thread, but I feel better talking about it :-)

Dave....

Ps: please BOL for two toshiba laptops and tv's in the Manteca, CA area
Davec107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 101524
Sent from my wife's iPad that did not get stolen.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15076
Fuckin sucks man. Really sorry to hear that.

I have a western digital drive that seems to work really well. I've had a few files that somehow got corrupted and were unable to be opened. Pulled out the drive and retrieved those individual files and I was back in business. The key for me is to remember to actually plug the thing in and back it up to the current date.
MQYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 184847
There is something called drop box I think. Have not looked into my brother told me its what I wanted tho. He's IT for state farm and I was looking for something I can save stuff to no matter where I am my shop at my tm computer or at home. Off site server that you upload to bit can access anywhere I think. If you work at home its probably nbd but I hate jump drives ( they tend to break when they fall off a table)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
North Shore Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 172707
Yeah Drop box is a program you download and then upload all your files or folders you choose to the big cloud in the sky. You can only have 2GB of storage unless you sign up a few more people. You can access Dropbox from anywhere there is internet access. It is cool.
Another option is to use Windows Live Mesh, it syncs any folders you designate to upload to the cloud in the sky as well. It is another easy way of keeping your files safe from pending disaster.
I keep too many back ups but better to be safe than sorry.

But my advice is to have 2 back ups just in case Murphy's Law happens and the only copy you have doesn't play ball.

Larry
NZ
larrycameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
I build stuff.......

Member # 187673
I am so paranoid about my computer getting stolen or melting down.

For now, I have a backup drive that I plug into my computer about once a week and copy all my files, I then unhook the drive and it is hidden away. I also have memory sticks, and every couple weeks I update the memory sticks with the new info and also have them hidden away, so 2 backups completly separate from my machine.

What i'm fixing to do is to locate my backup drive into another section of the shop, be it the ceiling, in the wall, the floor, etc. Where ever it is located, it will not be very accessible and it will have some kind of lock box around it. I will then run the wires necessary to attach it to my computer, then I can just back up my computer every night when I shut down.

I have thousands of drawings and files that make my business run, if I lost all that, I have no idea what I would do and I don't fully trust the on line backup system either. Maybe i'm paranoid, but if I can keep my info in a closed loop that I can get to the physical backups myself, if my computer crashed, or if someone were to break in and steal the computer, they would just unhook the lines and take what they could grab, and putting the same programs on a new computer is easy enough, I just need to never loose the files I created with them.

One of the first things i'm creating with my new plasma table is a kick ass desk. I need a bigger desk, I have 4 computers on it right now and it's a bit cluttered. I also need a work area to lay parts on when i'm working with solidworks. I'm going to figure out how to secure my computer to my desk in some kind of enclosure so you can't grab the computer either. At best, they could steel the keyboard and break the monitor, but the computer would be safe......

Last edited by SinisterSandSports; 08-19-2012 at 09:26 AM.
SinisterSandSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 101524
Good info guys. I will be checking into off site storage once I get up and running again. After cleaning up the crooks mess I'm not sure any hiding spot is safe unless its locked up somewhere. I will definitely take more care with drives and dongles when I'm not home. Thanks for the ideas. Dave