So, what did you think of the new 2x2 machine? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Torchmate CNC Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
So, what did you think of the new 2x2 machine?

I heard that there were lots of questions. We wanted to answer, but 15 minutes went by pretty quick. We had lots to announce including the fully equipped Torchmate 2x2 that will be awarded to the winner of KOH and this new forum plus showing a couple of sample cuts and talking about the plaque's we will be making for all of the KOH drivers and co-drivers.

I am anxious to hear what people thought after seeing the machine live.

We are hiring! Email your resume to our Human Resources Manager at cnichols@torchmate.com and ask about openings.

Buy your consumables here! www.torchmatestore.com
Torchmate Racing Homepage: www.torchmateracing.com
Torchmate CNC Forum here: /forum/125-torchmate-cnc-forum/
Torchmate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 12:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 63257
I saw your 2x2 table tonight on pirate live tv and that thing is SWEET.....it's the ticket to bring cnc plasma cutting to everybody.
If you are willing to "sponsor/demo" me one I will be more than happy to do a write up on how usefull (or unusefull) it really is to the average Joe in real life....Heath.

Last edited by newmexicocrawler; 01-13-2010 at 10:54 AM.
newmexicocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 05:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
kpj
Rock God

Member # 6920
It looked great! I might try talking my father into splitting one for me...he can use it for wood and I can use it for metal.
kpj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 147477
Bill,

Just checked out you and your tech on PirateTv. Totally excited to hear about your own section on the site. The machine looked awesome looking forward to getting mine. I know we all keep asking for the table plans and you have said you are working on it and would like to build it before we all go out and build it. Do you have any time line that we could sort of go by in regards to the release of plans??? I know we have been asking lots of questions and you have been great along with some of your staff (MIKE).

I am also thinking of the plate marker attachment for my table and was wondering have you have one hooked up to this table? I understand I will need the full version of Torchmate CAD and I have purchased that. Any info appreciated.

Gord
Old 01-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 81341
I wil be placing my order by the end of the week. Are you still doing the $500 CC deposit and billing the rest when it ships?

The show was great and I am sure you guys will have stirred up a bunch more interest.

The new forum is going to be a big help for both the users and for your sales, way to go Torchmate.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKBOB View Post
Bill,

I know we all keep asking for the table plans and you have said you are working on it and would like to build it before we all go out and build it. Do you have any time line that we could sort of go by in regards to the release of plans???

I am also thinking of the plate marker attachment for my table and was wondering have you have one hooked up to this table? I understand I will need the full version of Torchmate CAD and I have purchased that. Any info appreciated.

Gord
I really don't have a timeline on the plans at this point. We are working hard to streamline the production process on these little machines and that takes priority. We had a huge rush on all models of our tables last month. It is a full court press around here to get everything that has been promised out the door. It is on the list of things to do, but as you saw on the show last night, you don't need a fancy table to cut over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
I wil be placing my order by the end of the week. Are you still doing the $500 CC deposit and billing the rest when it ships?

The show was great and I am sure you guys will have stirred up a bunch more interest.

The new forum is going to be a big help for both the users and for your sales, way to go Torchmate.
We are still taking $500 fully refundable credit card deposits to put people in line for a 2x2 machine. As of now we are putting people on the list twice as fast as we can make the machines. That should all change over the next 30-60 days and we should be caught up. In any case, we do not charge the balance until we are ready to ship on these little machines. Once we get it down to shipping within one to two weeks of placing the order, then it will just all happen at once as with the rest of our product line.

Thanks for watching us on the show. It was a lot of fun! I hope that we got our point across as to what we are trying to accomplish with this little machine. I really want to make CNC technology affordable for everyone. The 2x2 is the closest we have been able to come. We will see how it is received.

We are also excited about this new forum. It should really be a great tool for our company and for our customers. I would imagine anyone running a cnc plasma table will find value here when it gets rolling. There are lots of tips and tricks that can be shared. Once we get all the names and passwords for our tech and sales folks, we will start getting some good info posted up in here.

We are hiring! Email your resume to our Human Resources Manager at cnichols@torchmate.com and ask about openings.

Torchmate CNC Forum here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=125
Old 01-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 147477
I was still wondering about the plate marker have you had one hooked up to this table? I like the idea and would just like your input. I figure if I get some accessories now then a year or so down the road when I would like to buy a bigger table I can use them on that. Thanks Bill for all your support.

Gord
Old 01-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 63257
You describe High frequency on some plasma cutters, i have a miller does that brand have the High frequency you are talking about?...Heath.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
Quote:
I was still wondering about the plate marker have you had one hooked up to this table? I like the idea and would just like your input. I figure if I get some accessories now then a year or so down the road when I would like to buy a bigger table I can use them on that. Thanks Bill for all your support.

Gord
We haven't assembled and tested one just yet on the 2x2, but we have confirmed that it will be able to bolt on to the 2x2 cassette and that the vibrations and forces from it shouldn't be an issue on the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexicocrawler View Post
You describe High frequency on some plasma cutters, i have a miller does that brand have the High frequency you are talking about?...Heath.
Some Miller units are High Frequency start, if you have a model number you can easily look it up on their site or post it here and we can tell you if it is or isn't. Contact start plasma cutters use something referred to as a Swirl Ring or Start Cartridge that is a replaceable consumable item in your torch head. If you have that, chances are you have a Contact Start cutter.

-Mike
HardcorewannabeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 147477
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcorewannabeXJ View Post
We haven't assembled and tested one just yet on the 2x2, but we have confirmed that it will be able to bolt on to the 2x2 cassette and that the vibrations and forces from it shouldn't be an issue on the machine.

Some Miller units are High Frequency start, if you have a model number you can easily look it up on their site or post it here and we can tell you if it is or isn't. Contact start plasma cutters use something referred to as a Swirl Ring or Start Cartridge that is a replaceable consumable item in your torch head. If you have that, chances are you have a Contact Start cutter.

-Mike
Mike,

So if if I want to purchase this it will work? When you say the vibrations shouldn't be a problem that make me worry when I here shouldn't. Also when you and Bill were talking about indexing this table will this be something that will be incorporated in the table plans or how will the indexing work for cutting a larger piece.

Gord
Old 01-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
Great to see the segment on the show last night - doubly excited to take delivery of mine now!

And this forum will definitely see a lot of traffic as people get set up and start sharing information!
GET INVOLVED - Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition

'93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500 NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 176K
'85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
Quote:
Mike,

So if if I want to purchase this it will work? When you say the vibrations shouldn't be a problem that make me worry when I here shouldn't. Also when you and Bill were talking about indexing this table will this be something that will be incorporated in the table plans or how will the indexing work for cutting a larger piece.

Gord
Gord,

It is untested at this point so I can't back myself into a corner and say it will work. Once we get one mounted and test it we will be able to give the definite yes or no. In the meantime, enjoy your machine and you can purchase the plate marker at any later date just as easily.

As far as the indexing table goes, it is the 4x4 table in the picture below. It has a set of holes in the frame that you can either drop a bolt into to locate the table, or put a stud in it to drop the machine on it. The holes are offset 24" in both the X and Y axis, so that if you divide your larger cut into quadrants (or halves) you will simply be able to index the part without the hassle of trying to align the machine again after moving it. Cut one quadrant, pick the machine up and move it to the next, load the program for it and start the machine again.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 147477
Mike,

How long will it take for you to test this with the 2x2 table. I am super interested in the accessory and I would like to have all my parts ship at the same time as I need to drive an hour to pick it up and go through customs and etc. Can you please let me know or maybe I can talk to Bill and see if we can get a plate marker hooked up to one of these units and try it out. I know you guys must be swamped but I would really appreciate this. If you want you can always have Joe Hoffman call me as I have been dealing with him and Bill.

Gord

Last edited by BLKBOB; 01-13-2010 at 03:08 PM.
BLKBOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21320
I want one! Trying to convince the boss that it would be handy to have in our metal shop

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=970111
BCzuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18997
you guys gonna put on a pirate 4x4 sale agian on your machines agian..

If you build it they will come.
the-t-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-t-man View Post
you guys gonna put on a pirate 4x4 sale agian on your machines agian..
We probably will not go beyond the 10% that we are offering on our regular machines to Pirate members. At this point we are struggling to keep up with demand as it is.

Torchmate CNC Forum here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=125
Old 01-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 121758
Send a message via AIM to Sroufe7
It was very cool to see the machine in action last night and to here you and Camo talk about the machine and it's features.

Just waiting to hear back from you now
Sroufe7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 26935
Send a message via Yahoo to jduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcorewannabeXJ View Post

-Mike

So do these need a contact or non contact start? Would this one work https://www.longevity-inc.com/produc...dAll-250PI.php It says it has a non contact start arc?
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 61598
this is what it says onthe website under specs:
"Pilot Arc and Contact Start:
Pilot Arc plasma cutter starting technology allows you to start and maintain an ARC as long as the trigger is pressed. This ARC is a similar to the ARC you will see from an oxy fuel cutting torch. In addition, you are able to hook these torches up to CNC machines because contact with the workpiece and the tip of the torch is not required. Also because there the starting technology is not High Frequency, your plasma cutter does not interfere with CNC Computers. Pilot Arc torches also have longer consumable life because you can maintain a distance when starting an arc."

So i assume there pilot arc "technology" doesn't use HF
cccbroncos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
I thought the demo on Pirate4x4 TV went really well and this is a killer unit. I'm having my buggy built at Liquid Iron Industries in NJ and they have a torchmate 10x15 or so. I'd consider getting one of these to burn out replacement parts if anything ever gets damaged on the buggy or I want to add something new.

But hopefully i won't have to purchase one since I'll be winning it at the 2010 KOH
whypave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Quote:
Originally Posted by jduck View Post
So do these need a contact or non contact start? Would this one work https://www.longevity-inc.com/produc...dAll-250PI.php It says it has a non contact start arc?
We have tested a Longevity Plasma Cutter on the machine during the initial stages of testing. It wasn't the unit you linked to, it was one of the cheaper Pilot Arc cutters. It worked successfully, but we weren't very satisfied with the quality of the cut, or the consumable life of the torch. When compared to the Thermal Dynamics unit we tested after words, the difference between the two in cut quality was very noticeable. For $225 more it seemed that the Thermal Dynamics was simply a better unit. Now we haven't tested the model that you mentioned, so I can't say if it cuts any better than the other unit we have at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccbroncos View Post
this is what it says onthe website under specs:
"Pilot Arc and Contact Start:
Pilot Arc plasma cutter starting technology allows you to start and maintain an ARC as long as the trigger is pressed. This ARC is a similar to the ARC you will see from an oxy fuel cutting torch. In addition, you are able to hook these torches up to CNC machines because contact with the workpiece and the tip of the torch is not required. Also because there the starting technology is not High Frequency, your plasma cutter does not interfere with CNC Computers. Pilot Arc torches also have longer consumable life because you can maintain a distance when starting an arc."

So i assume there pilot arc "technology" doesn't use HF
This is essentially correct, with a pilot arc cutter it will create a small arc when you pull the trigger that once close enough to the material will ignite the cutting arc.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 81341
Placed my order for one of these today. Now to wait, 1.5 to 2 months for what I was told. Time to make a spot for it.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 127403
Looked awesome on pirate tv, looking forward to the day i can afford one.
Hard Rock Crawlers VP
DieselDent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21320
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
BCzuk- nice samurai build. I'm looking to get into a samurai or toyota. I bought one of the 2x2s and it shipped yesterday so should be in sumas by the weekend. You are welcome to check it out once its up and running if you want. I'm near poco.
Thanks.

My neighbour just bought one too

I need a 2x2 table for the garage first

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=970111
BCzuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 139467
Will this work with the Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme?
Marc017 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.