Indexing with the 2x2? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Torchmate CNC Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 81341
Indexing with the 2x2?

Has anyone tried indexing with the 2x2 machine yet? If you have how did you brake up the drawing and how were the results? I havent gotten my machine yet but am interested in seeing some indexed cuts.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
We might be able to post up some pictures of indexed cuts off of some of our other machines, I haven't spoken with a 2x2 customer yet about indexing.

If you look at the stinkyfab miska build, or the pictures of it, he indexed his 4x4 table to cut the subframe pieces out that were larger.
HardcorewannabeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
Just went looking for that part of the thread and HCWBXJ posted while I was looking: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=24

He used the plate marker to index the cuts.
GET INVOLVED - Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition

'93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500 NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 176K
'85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 29097
So, how is indexing done without the plate marker?

[URL="www.sundogquarterhorses.com"]SunDog Quarter Horses[/URL]
SoundManCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
You could mark it with a pen/engrave. Something of your choice. A square and a little bit of patience would help as well.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 29097
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcorewannabeXJ View Post
You could mark it with a pen/engrave. Something of your choice. A square and a little bit of patience would help as well.
I guess I should have phrased my question a little differently and I think I have it figured out in my head. Please correct me if I am not getting it.

The tool path is slightly over 24" on the 2x2 and it should be fairly easy to move the material to be cut under it or just move the table over the material if you are going to cut something that is larger than the tool path. In order to do this in the cut file 0,0 (or another consistent reference point) needs to be specified in each section to be cut. In addition a second point of reference must be made to insure that the tool is going to be square with the 1st area that was cut, for example 15,15. If both of those are lined up in each section to be cut there should be no issues. I can see where the plate marker would come in handy for this but as you said a marker/engraver/paint pen could do this.

One of these would be a big help as well.

[URL="www.sundogquarterhorses.com"]SunDog Quarter Horses[/URL]
SoundManCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Essentially yes, indexing is just a matter of moving the machine an exact known amount. Now moving a single point still leaves room for error, because the machine could "pivot" off that point. If you are keeping the machine square to a known edge, say the edge of the material sheet, then 1 point would be fine.

Dividing it up in the CAD software is fairly simple, if you had a 24x36" piece and you wanted to split it into two halves, you would draw a rectangle in the CAD software around half the object. Then select both the object and the rectangle and do an XOR weld to split it. From there you have to do a little bit of Node Editing to remove the excess rectangle. Then we have to move both objects to the lower left of the material sheet in the CAD software, and export each half into two files. One for the first half, and the other for the second half.