Cut quality tuning - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Torchmate CNC Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15076
Cut quality tuning

I was cutting some 3/8 plate today and found that two sides of a four sided part were coming out nearly perfectly square and the other two sides had a slight bevel to the cuts. Not horrible, but I know the machine can do better. I tried to cut at a couple different speeds and got pretty close to the same result at both speeds.

80amps on an A120 at 40-50ipm. pierce height and working height per manufacturers specs. .20 pierce height and .19 cut height
MQYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 50132
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQYJ View Post
I was cutting some 3/8 plate today and found that two sides of a four sided part were coming out nearly perfectly square and the other two sides had a slight bevel to the cuts. Not horrible, but I know the machine can do better. I tried to cut at a couple different speeds and got pretty close to the same result at both speeds.

80amps on an A120 at 40-50ipm. pierce height and working height per manufacturers specs. .20 pierce height and .19 cut height
having exactly same issues. my cutting specs are a little differnet since I have a TD A80, but exact issue. Curious as to the input you get here
bigS-dime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
which two sides? Same axis?
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com
10% PIRATE COUPON CODE (not valid for harnesses and PCM tuning): pirate4x4

2013 - Trail Gear Western Series Regional Champion
2013 - Smittybilt EMC Series National Champion

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, AllTech Motorsports, A1 Performance Transmissions and Converters, Randy's Racing Transmissions, PRP Seats, Reid Racing, Radflo, CBR Performance, Trail Gear, RuffStuff Specialties, LifeTime LED Lights, Rugged Race Radios, DynoMAX, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
It could be the torch is not perpendicular to the material in both axis, this would result in even cuts on one side and on the other, unequal.

Check to make sure that your torch is perpendicular to the material you are cutting. If the tip has started to elongate out to one side you can get the same issue.

Beyond that, to get as best of a square as possible you need to program a sort of, four leaf clover toolpath. When the Plasma torch makes a 90 degree direction change, since the plasma stream is trailing behind, it usually undercuts the corner. If you were to ask the Plasma Cutter Manufactures they would tell you to cut past the corner, radius around and line up straight to come into the cut again. Look at the attached picture below to see the procedure.

Beyond that you are still dealing with a Plasma Cutter, you should expect 3-8 degrees of bevel, and the thicker the material you go the more noticeable it becomes!
Attached Images

Last edited by HardcorewannabeXJ; 03-19-2010 at 09:10 AM.
HardcorewannabeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 145912
My Powermax 45 cuts 3/8 plate with a very consistent taper on all four sides. I have a sample next to me that the edge bevel was measured with a precision protractor...3 sides are 2.6 degrees and the last side is 2.2 degrees from square. The part was cut at book speed, at 45 amps.
Assuming that the torch is perpendicular to the plate....most likely there is a damaged nozzle or shield on the torch.....the nozzle and shield orifice control the shape of the arc, any little notch (caused by pierce blowback) will change the shape of the arc and usually shows only on the same axis (2 sides). Inspect the consumables carefully with a magnifier....you likely will see an out of round orifice.

Also....the thicker you cut with plasma...the LESS bevel. The material acts as a virtual nozzle helping to stabilize the arc, improving squareness. This of course assumes that the nozzle orifice is not damaged! When I cut 1/2" and 5/8" the bevel is less than 2 degrees, when I cut 1/8" the bevel is in the 5 to 6 degree range.

Jim Colt

Last edited by jimcolt; 03-19-2010 at 04:32 PM.
jimcolt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcorewannabeXJ View Post
Beyond that you are still dealing with a Plasma Cutter, you should expect 3-8 degrees of bevel, and the thicker the material you go the more noticeable it becomes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
Also....the thicker you cut with plasma...the LESS bevel.

Jim Colt
Simply stating it becomes more noticeable to the naked eye that you are getting bevel, versus the thinner material where it is not as easy to tell.
HardcorewannabeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15076
Ok, the torch was and is perpendicular to the plate. I think the tip may have been a little out of wack as I had used it before and I really don't know how much. The bevel I had was on one end and a side of a rectangular part. The clover leaf type corner seems like a good way to go about cutting perfectly square corners but how exactly does one go about setting up a cut path to loop back around and cross itself?

My part was radiused on the corners so it wouldn't have worked this time anyway, but for future it would be good info to know.

Also, the good side was measured at 1-2 degrees or less and the noticeable side was right around 5 as I remember.
MQYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.