TMCAD question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Torchmate CNC Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
TMCAD question

I have a part (plate with 4 holes in it) made in AutoCAD, converted to DXF and then imported into TMCAD. I select all>make path>show fill and the only part that is shaded are two of the four holes that need to be cut out. The plate that the holes are in isn't solid. If I then make a tool path and only view tool path, I see that the lead in's are in the plate that I'm wanting to save.

Any ideas how to fix this? I've found that it's common for most of my drawings.
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com
10% PIRATE COUPON CODE (not valid for harnesses and PCM tuning): pirate4x4

2013 - Trail Gear Western Series Regional Champion
2013 - Smittybilt EMC Series National Champion

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, AllTech Motorsports, A1 Performance Transmissions and Converters, Randy's Racing Transmissions, PRP Seats, Reid Racing, Radflo, CBR Performance, Trail Gear, RuffStuff Specialties, LifeTime LED Lights, Rugged Race Radios, DynoMAX, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 26393
Whenever I import an AutoCad drawing, I select everything and "Connect Paths" to make sure everything is solid. Sounds like only 2 of your holes are fully connected.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15076
To check this in TMcad, you can double click the hole/holes that are not showing up on the show fill setting. That will take you into node editing where it is really easy to zoom in on specific nodes and see if they are connected or not.
MQYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Whenever I import an AutoCad drawing, I select everything and "Connect Paths" to make sure everything is solid. Sounds like only 2 of your holes are fully connected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQYJ View Post
To check this in TMcad, you can double click the hole/holes that are not showing up on the show fill setting. That will take you into node editing where it is really easy to zoom in on specific nodes and see if they are connected or not.
This fixed some of the drawings but not the particular one that I asked about.

Now on this part all four holes are shaded; exactly opposite from what it shoudl be - holes open and part shaded.

not sure if it helps or not, but when I 'show fill', the outline of my part is now dashed instead of solid.

Also, what error number do you use when connecting lines? I understand it can vary by drawing, because you don't want to connect anything close to it that shouldn't be, but I'm curious. I tried .01.
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, AllTech Motorsports, A1 Performance Transmissions and Converters, Randy's Racing Transmissions, PRP Seats, Reid Racing, Radflo, CBR Performance, Trail Gear, RuffStuff Specialties, LifeTime LED Lights, Rugged Race Radios, DynoMAX, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
Old 03-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
AutoCAD files come in "broken" at any point where a straight line meats another straight line, or when a straight line meets a radius.

The select all Arrange - Connect Path is the correct thing to do, the gap tolerance can be set to anything. I would recommend .1 as that seems to take care of most of it.

If you do set it to .1 and the show fill still shows a broken line, then there is most likely double lines on the part somewhere overlapping. This would have to be found through the node editing, but is very rare to occur unless you are taking a 3d object and exporting it as a 2d dxf, in which case sometimes the lines aren't perfectly lined up and you get a very small offset.

When you import a DXF there is a import configuration screen, in the bottom of that screen there are two options you want to check when importing AutoCAD files. Close Shapes and Remove Duplicates. There is two gap tolerances on the right hand side of the screen, set those to what you would set the connect path, and it will do it automatically when you bring the DXF's in.
Attached Images

HardcorewannabeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcorewannabeXJ View Post
AutoCAD files come in "broken" at any point where a straight line meats another straight line, or when a straight line meets a radius.

The select all Arrange - Connect Path is the correct thing to do, the gap tolerance can be set to anything. I would recommend .1 as that seems to take care of most of it.

If you do set it to .1 and the show fill still shows a broken line, then there is most likely double lines on the part somewhere overlapping. This would have to be found through the node editing, but is very rare to occur unless you are taking a 3d object and exporting it as a 2d dxf, in which case sometimes the lines aren't perfectly lined up and you get a very small offset.

When you import a DXF there is a import configuration screen, in the bottom of that screen there are two options you want to check when importing AutoCAD files. Close Shapes and Remove Duplicates. There is two gap tolerances on the right hand side of the screen, set those to what you would set the connect path, and it will do it automatically when you bring the DXF's in.
I tried the .1 and that didn't work. So then I checked the close shapes and remove duplicates, and that was the ticket!

All dxf's should be imported/exported as polyarcs, correct?
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com

Old 03-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
All dxf's should be imported/exported as polyarcs, correct?
Technically it doesn't matter, it just determines when you bring it in if you can click and drag aradius in the node editing, or use gravitational nodes to draw one. You can always switch an object between one type to the other by going to Arrange - Convert To - Polyarc/Polygon.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11684
Is there any plans to include a layer selection dialogue for importing DXF's in future versions of TMCAD?

The first part I imported form AutoCAD into TMCAD I did in exactly the same manner as I do for the software (ASPAN) that I used for my woodworking CNC machines.
I imported not only the part I wanted, but my entire model aswell as my title block setup including all my tiled layouts in paperspace LOL...

With my timber stuff I'll just put each required tool path on a seperate layer and have them all at 0,0,0 before saving the DXF so I can import them as required.

Thanks.
wendleburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Because there isn't really any need for layers in a 2d cutting program, I don't think we would include any support for it in the future.

There are "layers" in the Torchmate CAD software that you can use to sequence groups or identify parts, but it's different from what you are asking so it's pretty much irrelevant. I recommend to autocad people to delete everything except what you want to bring into the Torchmate CAD software, and this saves a few steps there.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
I remember being told that this software was used in laser applications as well and they used the colors as layers to allow the laser to fire at different power levels. What I don't know is whether we have some aspect of that turned off in our normal version and lite version of the CAD, but it is available with the PRO version. We can find out though.

We are hiring! Email your resume to our Human Resources Manager at cnichols@torchmate.com and ask about openings.

Buy your consumables here! www.torchmatestore.com
Torchmate Racing Homepage: www.torchmateracing.com
Torchmate CNC Forum here: /forum/125-torchmate-cnc-forum/
Torchmate is offline   Reply With Quote