New Thermal Dynamics 35 Amp Plasma Cutter $750 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Torchmate CNC Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
New Thermal Dynamics 35 Amp Plasma Cutter $750

We have 30 of these new Thermal Dynamics Cutskill 35Amp Plasma Cutters available for $750 + shipping. They just came in and are prewired for hookup to the Torchmate 2x2 CNC Prototyping System. Below are some pic's.

I hit up Thermal Dynamics for a solution awhile back that would work for the home shop and would pair well with the 2x2. Not everyone can afford a thousand dollars or more for a plasma cutter. These have only been available in Australia previously. It uses the same torch that the higher end TD plasma cutters use along with the same consumables which you can purchase through our online store at www.torchmatestore.com. I will get the spec's posted up on this unit next week.

Better order them quick because I don't see them hanging around long and they are not available anywhere else! We have 20 more on the way.
Attached Images

We are hiring! Email your resume to our Human Resources Manager at cnichols@torchmate.com and ask about openings.

Buy your consumables here! www.torchmatestore.com
Torchmate Racing Homepage: www.torchmateracing.com
Torchmate CNC Forum here: /forum/125-torchmate-cnc-forum/

Last edited by Torchmate; 03-23-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Torchmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 156241
Who do we contact to buy one?
cnc4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc4me View Post
Who do we contact to buy one?
Me

Just send me a PM with your name, address, phone number and email address. I will make a list or you can call on Monday.

We are hiring! Email your resume to our Human Resources Manager at cnichols@torchmate.com and ask about openings.

Torchmate CNC Forum here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=125
Old 03-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 7876
Send a message via AIM to Arya Ebrahimi
Got any specs on these? What are they capable of?

Also, can they utilize a hand torch as well? or strictly tool torch?

I'm contemplating a 2x2, but would also need to buy a plasma and air compressor, and would like to buy a plasma that I can use off the machine as well.
Arya Ebrahimi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Ebrahimi View Post
Got any specs on these? What are they capable of?

Also, can they utilize a hand torch as well? or strictly tool torch?

I'm contemplating a 2x2, but would also need to buy a plasma and air compressor, and would like to buy a plasma that I can use off the machine as well.
The literature is on my email server and it has been down since Thursday. As soon as I have access to it again, I will post up the spec's. This cutter only uses a hand torch and takes about 10 seconds to pull it out of the machine to use it by hand. You can clamp it in around the handle as well, but we simply use the clamp around the nozzle itself and it holds it plenty secure.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
I just had another copy of the user's manual for this little cutter emailed to me. It looks like they are rated at 35Amp instead of 40. I will get the .pdf file saved to our site and post up the link. Same machine, different plate on the front. I will change the title of the thread to "35Amp". Those of you that have emailed me to get one of these can expect a phone call or email regarding payment. They are ready to ship.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 7876
Bump for specs
Old 03-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
Here you go.

http://www.torchmate.com/cutskill/0-5104%20CS352010.pdf

Old 03-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 7876
Bill,

I skimmed through that, but couldn't find anything about it's cutting capacity. Got any idea of what it can cleanly cut?

I'm new to plasmas. I'm sure most people probably know a 35A machine can cut a certain thickness, but I don't.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
We were able to cut .25" in the machine cleanly. I would not try to get any more out of it than that unless you will be cutting by hand or edge starting.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
Here is a link to the spec sheet.

http://www.torchmate.com/CS%2035A%20plasma.pdf

$750 and i will throw in free shipping on any unit ordered by Wednesday, March 31st. PM your name, address and phone number if you want one.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Liquid Iron Ind.

Member # 52894
What a deal.

Is the free shipping good through the end of today? I could use a small handheld unit around the shop and it's very tempting.

Also, does this use the same 40amp consumables that my A120 machine torch uses on my Torchmate? That would be convenient, but not necessarily a big deal..
http://www.liquidironindustries.com/
(856)-336-2639

https://www.facebook.com/liquidironindustries

Molten Motorsports #4343 "Fred"
Timmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
What a deal.

Is the free shipping good through the end of today? I could use a small handheld unit around the shop and it's very tempting.

Also, does this use the same 40amp consumables that my A120 machine torch uses on my Torchmate? That would be convenient, but not necessarily a big deal..
Yes to all your questions.

Judging by all the phone calls, there seems to be a bunch of people with the same train of thought.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Liquid Iron Ind.

Member # 52894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchmate View Post
Yes to all your questions.

Judging by all the phone calls, there seems to be a bunch of people with the same train of thought.
Very cool. I'm in.

I'm shooting you a PM right now. Thanks.
(856)-336-2639

Old 03-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5851
Send a message via AIM to KacksterK5
What's the duty cycle?

86 4Raisin A bunch of stuff under it

02 Chevy 2500 HD Tow Rig
KacksterK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KacksterK5 View Post
What's the duty cycle?
As shown in the spec sheet linked earlier, 35A is 30% duty cycle.

HardcorewannabeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 48607
Duty cycle always confuses me. Say i need to cut out a pretty image in 1/4" mild steel. Will the machine shut down if it reaches the duty cycle before the image is completely cut? Will it likely reach the duty cycle? If so, how will that affect the outcome? I've been on a roll today with the stupid so let me know if i need to add this question to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcorewannabeXJ View Post
As shown in the spec sheet linked earlier, 35A is 30% duty cycle.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trucks View Post
Duty cycle always confuses me. Say i need to cut out a pretty image in 1/4" mild steel. Will the machine shut down if it reaches the duty cycle before the image is completely cut? Will it likely reach the duty cycle? If so, how will that affect the outcome? I've been on a roll today with the stupid so let me know if i need to add this question to the list.
Duty Cycle is measured in a 10 minute span. If this unit has a 30% duty cycle, then it will cut for 3 straight minutes wide open with no breaks before it needs to cool down. So, we were running at something like 26 inches per minute in 1/4" mild steel with the cutter turned all the way up. In theory it should cut for 78" straight when the temperature is 104 degree's (I think that is what it said) before it gets tired. If you turn down the amperage then the duty cycle increases and you can cut longer.

If you run into duty cycle on a machine of ours with no height control, then it will just keep going through the motions of cutting even though the torch is not firing. If you run our height control, then it receives an OK to move signal from the plasma cutter telling the machine that the arc has been established and it may begin moving through cut path. If the cutter is into the duty cycle and shuts down, then so too with the machine. Then you simply restart once the cutter cools.

Last edited by Torchmate; 03-31-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 48607
Dang! That little machine kicks but. You have a PM Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchmate View Post
Duty Cycle is measured in a 10 minute span. If this unit has a 30% duty cycle, then it will cut for 3 straight minutes wide open with no breaks before it needs to cool down. So, we were running at something like 26 inches per minute in 1/4" mild steel with the cutter turned all the way up. In theory it should cut for 78" straight when the temperature is 104 degree's (I think that is what it said) before it gets tired. If you turn down the amperage then the duty cycle increases and you can cut longer.

If you run into duty cycle on a machine of ours with no height control, then it will just keep going through the motions of cutting even though the torch is not firing. If you run our height control, then it receives an OK to move signal from the plasma cutter telling the machine that the arc has been established and it may begin moving through cut path. If the cutter is into the duty cycle and shuts down, then so too with the machine. Then you simply restart once the cutter cools.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 145912
Duty cycle ratings require a rated ambient temperature, a rated voltage output and a rated amperage output. I could not find the voltage rating on the spec sheet...or a kW output rating for the new T-D 35 amp unit, so it is hard to tell what its duty cycle would be on a given thickness of material.

When you cut thicker material, the load voltage increases, which increases internal temperature and reduces duty cycle.

Just as a comparison...the Powermax30 (more expensive) is a 30 Amp plasma rated at 1/4" thickness (83 load volts) at 30 amps output at 104 degrees F, with a 50% duty cycle rating when operated on 230 volt input power. It is killowatts (not Amps) that determines thickness capacity with plasma.

I think the new low cost T-D unit probably compares thickness wise with the Powermax30 and the Cutmaster 39, meaning it will pierce through 1/4", and can cut a bit thicker at very slow speeds with an edge start. Just make sure when you are looking at plasma systems that you know what you plan to cut with it now and in the future. It can be frustrating to cut materials at the upper end (or beyond the upper end) of your plasmas capability as duty cycle and consumable life will become issues!

The Powermax30 is made in USA and is around $1000, The Cutmaster39 Power supply is made in USA (Torch in Mexico) and is around $1100, The new 35 Amp power supply is made in China (torch from Mexico). It would be interesting to compare cut speeds, cut quality and consumable life between these three units!

Jim
jimcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
Hey, yellow star! Good work Jim. It at least lets everyone know where you are coming from. I only gave you a hard time because I was getting PM's telling me to remove your posts as being a bit salesy for someone without a vedor star. I didn't want to do that.

I have not heard anything from you guys in awhile. Are you still planning on coming out with a couple units for us to try out? I have seen your posts about working with us more. Seems like the ball never really gets rolling.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 145912
Well...although some may argue with me on this...I'm not here to sell anything. I am here because I like to cut metal into little pieces and then weld it into (or on to) something useful, and I have quite a few years of experience with this, so I love to offer my advice and opinions as many others on this site do. Working for Hypertherm is a bonus as I have been involved over the years with many of the engineered technology enhancements that have made plasma cutting what it is today.

The money I paid for the Yellow Star came out of my pocket...as I want to be able to stay on this site as well as the 10 or so others that I monitor. I'm still up for that visit to Reno, I'll contact you directly.

Jim
jimcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 7647
damn, wish I had the extra cash right now

Sniper Fab
4x4Oil SBwinVPS Custom Splice C2GFab
apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 48607
Just ordered mine today. Can't wait to watch it sit in the box for the next few months while i save for the 2x2. Isn't it funny how i find out all i need to do is come up with $600.00 to fix our 2nd vehicle to get it on the street but i end up spending a buck 50 more on a tool instead? Priorities, yeah i got em!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Liquid Iron Ind.

Member # 52894
I got mine today. This thing is a BADASS little machine. I'm super impressed by it. The mobility is great.

I'll post up some pictures of freehand cuts when I have some time, maybe this weekend. The Hypertherm is probably going to sit in the corner and collect dust for a while now.
(856)-336-2639