Why does my 2x2 do this and how do I make it stop - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Torchmate CNC Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 143830
Angry Why does my 2x2 do this and how do I make it stop

I have called tech support and tried to explain this issue but pretty much got told that this was normal operation and no way to stop it?

What happens is if I zero out my machine on the X axis with a gap between this aluminum extrusion so the torch holder is clear, then I run it out positive 24" to the end of the X axis, and then back to zero, the machine runs back further than it was when it started. The problem here is it bends the entire torch holder from the pressure it puts on it. If the torch is high in the air it will actually run out over the extrusion and cut it .

comeoutswingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 13745
I have mine normally about a quarter inch off that, never noticed any variance in where it stops.
John Galbreath Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 146033
Is that a thermal dynamics torch? It looks like the shield cup doesnt fit in the holder. Not that it is your problem but when I got my 2x2 table I had that issue and had to either by a skinnier shield cup or make that holder with a bigger diameter piece. If that is a thermal dynamics torch and you are using that holder I am just curious how well it works.
pos97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15076
That doesn't seem right. Zero should be zero. If it goes past the start point then it is running into negative coordinates.

How are you doing your 24" run out? Using the point button? Using the "Any point" button or the "program zero" button. I'm not sure that using one or the other would cause what you are describing. I know I have had my torch move where I didn't think I told it to go before I realized I was using the program zero button instead of the any point button. A -24" command on the any point setting will move it negative 24". A -24" command on the program zero setting will move it negative 24" from the zero point.

Last edited by MQYJ; 04-14-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Holy run on sentence retard
MQYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 143830
I am using the jog to move it around. But if say I was over at x 20 and y 10 and told it to fast home, it would home the Y correctly and then the x would go back and then continue to try and go WAY past 0 and it would continually run and you would have to manually stop it. Using jog or home it always returns back to that spot even if i set the machine zero out past there it always goes back until it runs into that piece
Old 04-15-2010, 07:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
The problem is one of two things.

When you are jogging out, the machine is most likely losing position on the + motion away from the "zero" point. Then it believes, because it is an open loop stepper system, that it is actually as far on the table as the screen shows it. When it comes back to "home" position when it is actually hitting the extrusion the machine believes it isn't at home position yet.

This position loss could be binding due to resistance in the travel of the gantry, or a mechanical slippage between the motor and gear rack (meaning the set screws on the motor-screw coupler) and the motor is actually traveling the distance, but the screw is not.

Now as far as the "home" option goes, without limit switches there isn't a Seek Home option available, but when there is a Machine Zero set defining your 3d invisible barrier, fast home is available to the x0 y0 position.
HardcorewannabeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ruiner of the Things

Member # 130031
Check your set screws on the motor to drive screw connection. All of mine were loose from shipping and after I tightened them down I went from being completely dissapointed in the machine performance to completely loving it.

'42 Dodge WC53 - Cummins, Allison 1000, Eaton HO72 F/R, 38" Michelins
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-r...airstream.html
AlxJ64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 157306
X-Axis problem -

OK I'm having the same problem but it is calling my X-axis left and right instead of front to back. Strange. It starts going cornerways like the screen shows, then the "left-right" axis stops and it continues up. Now it thinks it is at about 7 inches when it is really only one or two. Then the expected happens and it slams into the side trying to get all the back to zero. I have tightened everything and it does this with consistency.

The fact that when I jog -X and +X it goes left and right might be a clue. -Y and +Y goes up and down.
cookwithgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 143830
I checked the screws. None were loose. But now when i watch the gantry it looks like one motor seems to move before the other.

Without changing anything, this has gone from cutting ok, to cutting like complete shit. I don't even know what to to now but I get more and more disappointed each time i turn it on.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 115338
As was mentioned yesterday morning by Mike in your other thread showing the video, have you loaded the correct setup file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcorewannabeXJ
Looking at the video of your computer screen, you are using the default setup file that comes pre-installed with the Torchmate Drivers software, which is Torchmate.stp. In the 2x2 instructions it asks you to open the Torchmate2x2Plasma.stp off the CD in order to set the correct feedrates, and gear ratio. With the default setup file the problem you are experiencing is going to happen.
Dnmeistr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
I got with Jack, our tech support manager, about working with you. He will be giving you a call. We can do one of two things. Either work through it over the phone and figure out what the problem is or just swap out the machine. I am good with either option. The problems you are experiencing are unique and we are dedicated to making things right. My only concern with swapping it out is that it not get destroyed in shipping on its way back to us. I am sure the the problem is a simple one albeit hard to find. I want the machine to work well for you. If we go that route will you please just make sure that the machine is well packaged for its return? The freight cost there and back will erase any profit we made on it. I am not worried about that at this point, but I don't want to lose the machine to shipping damage on top of it if we can help it. I am in meetings all week. Expect a call from Jack and we will take care of it.

Bill

We are hiring! Email your resume to our Human Resources Manager at cnichols@torchmate.com and ask about openings.

Buy your consumables here! www.torchmatestore.com
Torchmate Racing Homepage: www.torchmateracing.com
Torchmate CNC Forum here: /forum/125-torchmate-cnc-forum/
Torchmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 159031
Too me the problem appears simple, first off you cannot run out to 24 inches the way your torch holder is set up, cause the machine would bump in to the motors, then it would keep clicking outputs. until it convinced itself that it was actually out 24 inches...on the return trip it heads for home and overshoots the old zero point by the amount of clicks it gained in the forward position when it hit the motors.

I have nearly had the same problem trying to do dry runs. to fix the problem I had to drill new holes in the torch holder plate repositioning it further in the gantry this cured the issue. a 30 to 40mm offset under the gantry will cure this problem, I can now go as far as 25 1/4 inches in the y position or cut 24 inches and still have 30mm of clearance before the lead screw nuts bump into either end.
ron678 is offline   Reply With Quote