Support slat spacing - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Torchmate CNC Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 29097
Support slat spacing

After looking at the table builds on here I see what looks like a large range of slat spacing. Some look like 1" and others are far greater. What are the things that you considered when setting up the slat spacing and why did you go the route you did?

[URL="www.sundogquarterhorses.com"]SunDog Quarter Horses[/URL]
SoundManCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
The biggest thing is considering the size of the parts you are going to cut, and the "tip-up's" that could potentially grab the torch head.

We typically go with 3" on our larger machines with AVHC, because the torch actually retracts 3" in between cuts. If the slats are closer together, you can cut smaller parts without having them tip up. The closer they are together, you'll have more so you can also make them skinnier.
HardcorewannabeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 29097
I am going to be cutting a lot of small stuff so I will probably go with 1" spacing on my slats. I also decided not to go with a downdraft table but a water table instead. There are to many benefits to a water table not to go that route.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Boyd Welding LLC

Member # 141166
Ours is 3.5" apart. the slats also have an arc.

PHONE:352-447-2405
TOLL FREE: 877-270-3576
FAX 352-447-2403
EMAIL: daveboyd@boydwelding.com
Dave Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 66858
Laser guy here again:
What I have done in several machines is notch the end of the slat so that when they are inverted they drop another inch. Then I make smaller sacraficial risers for the jobs that incolve lots of close quarter high power cutting. The small risers sit on top of the main slats and make up the height difference.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 29097
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASER View Post
Laser guy here again:
What I have done in several machines is notch the end of the slat so that when they are inverted they drop another inch. Then I make smaller sacraficial risers for the jobs that incolve lots of close quarter high power cutting. The small risers sit on top of the main slats and make up the height difference.
I made my slats out of 1.5"x1/8" bar stock and set it up so they are flush with the top of the table. I like the idea of notching out the slats to drop them in a little.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 159031
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundManCO View Post
I made my slats out of 1.5"x1/8" bar stock and set it up so they are flush with the top of the table. I like the idea of notching out the slats to drop them in a little.
Notching slats sounds like a lot of work that must be precise to get them all level at once. Wouldn't it just be easier to build a riser for your machine rails so you could slip the material under the cross bar and still have all the slats level.
I haven't built my table yet but I can see problems with the cross bar interfering with material longer than 24 inches if I want to index on a longer table.
ron678 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 29097
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron678 View Post
Notching slats sounds like a lot of work that must be precise to get them all level at once. Wouldn't it just be easier to build a riser for your machine rails so you could slip the material under the cross bar and still have all the slats level.
I haven't built my table yet but I can see problems with the cross bar interfering with material longer than 24 inches if I want to index on a longer table.
I built the rests for the support slats so that they are flush with the top of the table. If I need to drop them down a little I can by getting smaller stock or notching out the slats. The cross bar riser that you speak of is going to be a must have for anything larger than 2x2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.