Another water table build, and 2x2 plasma setup! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Torchmate CNC Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 85443
Another water table build, and 2x2 plasma setup!

Well this is my first post on here, so take it easy on me. So I will start off by saying I have to thank every one on here that has posted up their water table builds. Got my 2x2 a few weeks ago and got started making my own water table. Also after talking to the guys at torchmate I decided to purchase a new plasma cutter.

I was looking at getting an A40 thermal dynamics, but did some research and bought a cutmaster 52, and a SL100 machine torch lead, and two harness's from Thermal Dynamics to basically make a A40 machine, for alot less. How I came about doing this was I purchased a "Camo" cutmaster 52 from weldfabulous.com for $1,289.00, normal price on one in normal colors is $1,389.00, then got the SL100 machine torch lead (part #7-5215) was $515, automation interface kit (part #9-8311) was $58, and shipping was around $20-30 dollars, for a total $1880-1890.

For what thermal dynamics tech center said would be the same machine, and I now have an extra SL60 hand torch (came with the cutmaster 52) to either sell, or use on my other plasma cutter that has the same torch. Another savings was the torchmate machine torch holder is $175 instead of the hand torch holder which was $275.

The other harness I got from Torchmate was (part #9-1008) which is a screw together quick connection harness that I will connect to the torchmate box leads. It's cost was $60.84, I also got some extra consumables to make my $100 dollar min. and shipping was $12.

Well enough typing now to the pictures.

First pic is the 2x2 all boxed up.

Next putting it together, which I must say was easy, and the instructions were good.

Getting it all squared up and ready to go.

Here is the machine torch holder.

Now for the pic's on the water table, going off of some of the builds on here I decided to go with 3x4x3/16 rec. tubing for the main top.

Here are some pic's of the welds.

Making some caps to close off the 3x4 tubing, and have to show off my beverly shear that will cut up to 3/16 mild steel. The caps are 1/8" , also here are some pic's of the legs which are 3x3x1/4 sq. tubing, and the 3/8" plate we tapped and put leveling pads on. And here are the legs welded on and I added some gussets to add some style.

I will post up some more here in a bit to break it up alittle.

Thanks for looking Andrew
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 85443
Here are some more pics of the gussets, and welds.

I also added to 2x2x1/8 tubing to the bottom of the legs to put a shelf on the bottom, to hold parts, plasma cutter, and misc stuff.

Here I took a pic after we got done cutting some 16ga. steel to put on the bottom to seal it off. We were making fun in the shop after cutting this saying who needs a cnc cutter with cuts like this. But actually the cut is like this from the info I got off this forum as I use to always just use the old plasma cutter turned all the way up with 60 amp tips, and man it made a huge difference using the lowest setting and a 20 amp tip.

Here we are done welding in the 16ga. And now we are adding in a few support ribs, and a support for the valve, for filling and draining the water off.

And here are the last pics I got for this weekend.

Let me know what you think, and thanks for looking. Andrew
Old 06-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 157182
Very nice.. You don't realize how much work goes into building a table until you actually do it. I like that "beverly shear". It looks like it would be really handy to have..
mattjw76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
Nice! Looks like you are off to a great start!!! Keep the pictures coming.

We are hiring! Email your resume to our Human Resources Manager at cnichols@torchmate.com and ask about openings.

Buy your consumables here! www.torchmatestore.com
Torchmate Racing Homepage: www.torchmateracing.com
Torchmate CNC Forum here: /forum/125-torchmate-cnc-forum/
Torchmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 85443
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjw76 View Post
Very nice.. You don't realize how much work goes into building a table until you actually do it. I like that "beverly shear". It looks like it would be really handy to have..
Yeah the beverly shear really comes in handy, and most the stuff I have cut with it has been 1/8" thick tabs, brackets, and gussets. And it is so much quicker than a grinder, sander, or cutting disc, and is alot less clean up then plasma cutting by hand, but now that I have the torchmate the shear will probably be used less and less.

All the work we have done so far has been in the last two saturdays, about 8-10hrs. total. I am trying to take more pictures of projects going on in the shop, so I will try and keep this updated, but my brother is getting married this next weekend several states away so it will be a few weeks before I have another update.

Thanks again for looking. Andrew
Old 06-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 53049
Nice lookin' table!

I bet it'd make some SWEET brackets for that truck in the background. If you wanna see some more of Scapegoat's skills have a look here:
http://www1.pirate4x4.com/forum/show...556&highlight=

and here for a more complete picture:

http://www.fj40landcruisers.com

Last edited by buryboi; 07-29-2010 at 09:21 AM.
buryboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 85443
Quote:
Originally Posted by buryboi View Post
I bet it'd make some SWEET brackets for that truck in the background. If you wanna see some more of Scapegoat's skills have a look here:
http://www1.pirate4x4.com/forum/show...556&highlight=
Yeah I bet I'd make some freaking sweet brackets for that FJ, I might have to charge some computer geek hours in exchange, maybe you can help me learn how to run all this CAD/CAM software better.

On another note I got some updated pics from the shop before I left on my 12hr. drive. I wanted to get some pictures of the harness and the plasma cutter to give you guys an idea of what I was talking about. I didn't have time to reopen the cover on the Cutmaster 52 to show how easy one of the harness's worked by just connecting it to the j10 terminal as the instructions stated. To install the first harness it took less time then it took take the cover off. The other pictures are the 2nd harness which I ordered thru torchmate, and is not totally needed but I like to keep everything clean. But here are the pics to help.

I only got the camo to save about $100 otherwise I would have gotten the normal on.

As you can see from this pic there is already a place to put the plug.

Here is the second harness and the quick connect plug.

And here are some pics of the leads the machine torch, and the hand torch.

Again thanks for looking, Andrew

Last edited by scapegoat; 06-16-2010 at 03:12 PM.