milling aluminum - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Torchmate CNC Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 163562
milling aluminum

I am interested in milling an iphone case. Would the torchmate 2x2 be appropriate for this application? I would like to use brass, aluminum, and wood.
odenflagship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 151947
I think that you should use a mill for that, the 2x2 would be good for signs . In my opinion.
GMFAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 163562
the website for torchmate says you can use it for milling and it's much cheaper than the mills i've seen which run like 10k. It says you can add the z axis but I'm not sure if anyone has any experience with it. does anyone have any mill suggestions?

from the torchmate website:
it is designed to bring CNC Plasma Cutting, CNC Routing, CNC Drilling, CNC Milling and CNC Engraving to you in one tight little package starting at less than $2,000.
odenflagship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
The 2x2 can do light aluminum work, it's all about keeping the bit cool. It's a 3 axis cnc mill and if you can design and program 3d work, I don't see any reason why not. Keep in mind if you plan on doing production work to make 10,000 iPhone cases, the 2x2 was not designed to do that, $10k + cnc mills are.
HardcorewannabeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 162029
I'm using my torchmate 2x2 as a router only. It's doing some great work in 3d just with the z axis ratio you have to keep your speeds down. I try to keep my cutting feed to about 10 ipm on the z axis because it just doesn't have much down force. This is in wood and plastics. I actually lost a few steps today on a long project. Over 100 deg in the shop on an hr and a half run, not thinking to add a little extra oil on the axis it probably lost 1/32 of an inch. Wasn't an issue with the type of project. I'm going to be trying my hand at milling brass for some trigger guards on my rifle stocks when i get back to them. It's going to be a while, maybe three months or more. I would say for both brass or aluminum, some sort of sprayer for coolant would be a good idea.
Metalhead781 is offline   Reply With Quote