Air Filter - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Torchmate CNC Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 166674
Air Filter

I am gonna order my Torchmate 2x2 with probably the cutmaster 52. I was wondering if anyone would recommend otherwise.... Also what is needed to clean and dry the compressor air?

I dont have any filter or anything currently. Just use it to blow things off.

Last edited by Speed_Freak_039A; 08-25-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Speed_Freak_039A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
Harbor Freight water separator. That should do it.

We are hiring! Email your resume to our Human Resources Manager at cnichols@torchmate.com and ask about openings.

Buy your consumables here! www.torchmatestore.com
Torchmate Racing Homepage: www.torchmateracing.com
Torchmate CNC Forum here: /forum/125-torchmate-cnc-forum/
Torchmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 158407
I use the Harbor Freight water separator. I also have a motor guard filter down line from that. Once a week usually on Monday mornings, I also drain my compressor tank, empty the seperator and check the filter. I have had no problems. I have a 2x2 and a cutmaster 52 myself and have been very satisfied with the set up. Hope this helps.

jj2k
jj2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 166674
Excellent. I got a automatic electronic drain on the compressor. Even setup the piping with the droop back to the tank for the water and a couple drip legs. I will look for this water seperator you speak of.

I found these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...=&q=air+filter

Any of them the one u speak of? These are called filters. I have a oil compressor if that matters. I know most with a plasma probably do also.
Speed_Freak_039A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 164060
The 97686 HF Air dryer works really good and has the replaceable desicant. If you use it you can pull the beads abd put them i the oven at home when Momma aint lookin and revitalize em too. It's about 39 bucks and IMO works the best.
Bob
Rbeckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 29097
I am running two filter/dryers.

When I got started I was just using a Moto Guard M60 right in front of the plasma (like 18" of hose in front of it) and my cuts were never consistent. I went through consumables like crazy. I picked up a PCP Group filter dryer and put it as close to my compressor as I could and my consumable life tripled and my cuts got consistent. Running both of those made a dramatic change in my cut quality.

I want to route the line that comes off the compressor before the tank and run it into my shop fridge and make a water collector there but have yet to do so.

[URL="www.sundogquarterhorses.com"]SunDog Quarter Horses[/URL]
SoundManCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
I use a version of these and am happy with them. I get mine from an automotive paint place.
http://www.harborfreight.com/inline-...ter-94733.html
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com
10% PIRATE COUPON CODE (not valid for harnesses and PCM tuning): pirate4x4

2013 - Trail Gear Western Series Regional Champion
2013 - Smittybilt EMC Series National Champion

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, AllTech Motorsports, A1 Performance Transmissions and Converters, Randy's Racing Transmissions, PRP Seats, Reid Racing, Radflo, CBR Performance, Trail Gear, RuffStuff Specialties, LifeTime LED Lights, Rugged Race Radios, DynoMAX, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
The 97686 HF Air dryer works really good and has the replaceable desicant. If you use it you can pull the beads abd put them i the oven at home when Momma aint lookin and revitalize em too. It's about 39 bucks and IMO works the best.
Bob
bringing this back from the dead. This weekend it was really wet and rainy and while I was cutting parts (about 2 hours in) I saw droplets of water in my engraving line. Looked at my row of filters (4 of them) and every single one of them was full of water. I drain my compressor at least every week, but sometimes nightly. Just depends on how much air I use between drains. So when I came in to run these parts, I had an empty tank.

So question. What should I do? I bought this 97686 HF dryer and some lines to hook up after the compressor and before a coalescent filter I already have in place. Is this all I'll need? Or should I start thinking about a refrigerated unit? The HF model (40211) is about $350 out the door. Which brings me to the other question, anyone ever use one? Like it?

Thanks!
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, AllTech Motorsports, A1 Performance Transmissions and Converters, Randy's Racing Transmissions, PRP Seats, Reid Racing, Radflo, CBR Performance, Trail Gear, RuffStuff Specialties, LifeTime LED Lights, Rugged Race Radios, DynoMAX, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
Old 09-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 154167
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
The HF model (40211) is about $350 out the door. Which brings me to the other question, anyone ever use one? Like it?

Thanks!
There are some guys over on plasmaspider that use this model and have spoke well of it.
XeroFokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroFokus View Post
There are some guys over on plasmaspider that use this model and have spoke well of it.
Good to know!

The only part that concerns me is my compressor is a two stage unit with a ~180 psi shut off. IIRC the HF model is only good for 140 psi. Wondering if this will matter? And if so, do I need to drop the tank pressure first?
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com

Old 09-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 154167
Quote:
And if so, do I need to drop the tank pressure first?
F- that! Just throw a regulator in-line before the dryer... Then you still have full pressure/volume at your tank, and anything that your want that pressure for, and just turn it down before the dryer for anything that you need to run dry.
XeroFokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroFokus View Post
F- that! Just throw a regulator in-line before the dryer... Then you still have full pressure/volume at your tank, and anything that your want that pressure for, and just turn it down before the dryer for anything that you need to run dry.
that's what I meant
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com

Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 167576
What you need for cleaning your plasma cutter air really depends on the compressor system you have.
If you have a cool running 2 stage high capacity 230v air compressor, you wont need much for air cleaning devices for your plasma cutter as heat will be kept to a minimum with this larger compressor.
If your using a smaller 120v single stage compressor with small storage tank, this unit will develop lots of heat. Heat with air compressors means condensation aka water. With this type of air compressor you will need additional water separation capabilities.

Here is a Parker air filter/water separator/regulator that I installed to clean up the air from my smaller 120v compressor. This unit in conjunction with the on board filter on my TD Cut-master 52 seem to do a good job of supplying clean air.

snoeproe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 145912
I wanted to provide a link to a very good article on air compressors and moisture in the air. Very interesting and very true, and it backs up my assertion that the best way to control moisture in air is with a refrigerated dryer. Compressed air has elevated levels of moisture in it regardless of the size of the compressor, or the local humidity conditions, and when air has high moisture it affects the high temperature physics that occur inside a plasma torch. Air is supposed to be (roughly) 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen.....the torch is designed to operate on these gases......water breaks down inside the torch into hydrogen and oxygen, and any other contaminants (oil, particulates) break down into carbon, which is electrically conductive. These adversely affect consumable life in a plasma torch, which in turn affects cut quality.

Here is the link to the article: http://www.truetex.com/aircompressors.htm

The parts about compressor horsepower ratings and wet air are particularly good. Yesterday a guy tried to tell me he had a 5 horspower compressor that ran on a 20 amp, 120 volt outlet. After you read this article you will know that horsepower ratings mean nothing.....there is barely 2HP worth of energy available in a 120 volt houshold outlet!

Jim Colt
jimcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Correct. It takes 746W to make 1HP. I believe my Dewalt chop saw claims the same 5HP rating on a 20A circuit? Granted, it's a good saw and will cut through .5" wall axle tube with ease..But the motor is not a 5 horse motor.

I'll have to read that article. But the refrigerated unit just isn't in the cards right now. Maybe next month? But I'm pretty confident this new setup I've got will eliminate all water and oil droplets/vapors. If not, I know that it will give the refrigerated unit less work to do.

My compressor is a Campbell Hausfield (Husky branded) 80 gal, 2 stage with a 4 horse motor. It's also pretty new. So it should make good air.
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com

Old 09-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 167576
It's no doubt that aftercoolers and air dryers do the best job or removing water/oil and particulate from air.
Most larger shops and comercial shops usualy already have an air dryer system in place with their shop air.
However, for the hoobby cutter working in his small shop or garage, an air dryer may be a bit much for budget reasons and storage reasons.
Do what you can with what your needs, budget and storage capabilities allow.
snoeproe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Well I got my setup completed this morning and ran a 1.5 hr job at 6 IPM - meaning there was lots of air flowing.

Results?
Clean, great cuts and 0 water!

This is about twice as long of time as the last. I had water in the silver tube and honestly about the same in my air compressor tank. The silver tube was pretty hot though. The compressor tank and lines were all cool. The yellow HF dessicant filter was also cool and was all of those lines/fittings.

At this point I'm going to claim victory. I need to run it hard on a rainy day for the real test.
Attached Images

www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com

Old 09-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 1408
Send a message via AIM to RockRanger
Quote:
Well I got my setup completed this morning and ran a 1.5 hr job at 6 IPM - meaning there was lots of air flowing.

Results?
Clean, great cuts and 0 water!

This is about twice as long of time as the last. I had water in the silver tube and honestly about the same in my air compressor tank. The silver tube was pretty hot though. The compressor tank and lines were all cool. The yellow HF dessicant filter was also cool and was all of those lines/fittings.

At this point I'm going to claim victory. I need to run it hard on a rainy day for the real test.

Is there anything special inside the galvanized pipe? Is it just some 2" pipe with the necessary reducers and t fitting that can be seen? I am thinking my POS plasma isnt working cause I get way to much water in the air.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRanger View Post
Is there anything special inside the galvanized pipe? Is it just some 2" pipe with the necessary reducers and t fitting that can be seen? I am thinking my POS plasma isnt working cause I get way to much water in the air.
Yes, nothing fancy at all.

I've ran this setup for about 4 hours and I can tell a huge difference!

On the back of the plasma cutter is a disposable dessicant filter with a .01 micron filter in it. I kept it there mostly for the filter, but also as a back up dessicant. It's brand new, out of the box, and the beads were kind of a clear/purple color. Document says replace when pink. My watered down ones were pink, so I can tell the difference in the color. Anyway, now that I've ran this thing for a few hours, the dessicant beads are now a dark blue, like the ones I put in the Harbor Freight dessicant dryer (the long yellow thing on the wall).

So it appears my air is so dry, that it's pulling moisture from the disposable dessicant filter on the plasma.

With that said, I'm still getting water in the 2" galvanized pipe, compressor tank and in the HF dessicant dryer. I'm not 100% convinced that the 2" galvanized deally is even doing any good. I'm thinking my key component is the HF dessicant dryer. Hell, who knows. Maybe I would have even more water at the HF dessicant dryer than what I do now. Maybe that galvanized setup is cooling the air faster than what it would otherwise. Maybe I'm not seeing the full effect because it doesn't have the 90* turn down inside.

The cap that has the inlet tube is leaking air/water - you can hear it bubbling when the compressor is running - so I need to pull it apart and maybe use pipe dope instead. When the compressor is not pumping air, the compressor bleads off pressure. But when I do, I may add the 90* turn down to it then.

But it does get really hot. And I do get quite a bit of water out of it and the compressor tank. ~4 hours of plasma time, and I bet I'm getting ~2 cups of water out of everything total. So I'm definately pulling moisture out.

I think I'll keep running it for another month or so before I make the decission to buy the refrigerated unit. Winter coming up will put more stress on things and it should find any weaknesses in this system fairly easily.
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com

Old 05-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 25416
Bringing this back up, what are people using for the HF dessicant filter now, as it seems like they have stopped selling it. I just got my first plasma, and am trying to figure out what filters I need. Planning on the Motoguard so far, but what else?

Donny

Follow my workout.

WOD
Hiapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #21 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiapo View Post
Bringing this back up, what are people using for the HF dessicant filter now, as it seems like they have stopped selling it. I just got my first plasma, and am trying to figure out what filters I need. Planning on the Motoguard so far, but what else?

Donny
Mine has been sitting up in the loft since.... I can't even bring myself to give it to a friend that has nothing. But I also can't bring myself to tossing it out either.
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com