Anyone have this problem with their cutmaster? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Torchmate CNC Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 143830
Anyone have this problem with their cutmaster?

I've posted issues about my cutmaster 52 before, but I am to the edge now. It's extremely frustrating to have this problem where my torch wont fire, with all brand new consumables and when it decides to fire, it goes right back out. I took a video of it.

comeoutswingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Where is your ground???? It looks like the head is arcing because the ground lead is missing.
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com
10% PIRATE COUPON CODE (not valid for harnesses and PCM tuning): pirate4x4

2013 - Trail Gear Western Series Regional Champion
2013 - Smittybilt EMC Series National Champion

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, AllTech Motorsports, A1 Performance Transmissions and Converters, Randy's Racing Transmissions, PRP Seats, Reid Racing, Radflo, CBR Performance, Trail Gear, RuffStuff Specialties, LifeTime LED Lights, Rugged Race Radios, DynoMAX, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
If the Ground is not hooked directly to the material, I would definitely try that first, but it appears as though either the tip is too close to the material, or maybe even an intermittent torch start connection.

What amperage are you cutting at at what tip to material height?
HardcorewannabeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7410
that is what mine will do if the tip hits the steel and grounds out.
cobronco69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 159031
here is a quote from a site I visited:

Double arcing, occurs when the torch begins to pierce with the torch nozzle touching the working plate. An example, if the torch-height controller find its initial height by pushing against the plate, and if the plate is thin enough to be pushed down, then the retraction of the torch will not set the correct initial height. The torch will fail to clear the plate because the plate follows the torch back up to its initial height setting. Snuffing of the plasma gas leads to uncontrolled double-arcing in the plasma chamber, causing catastrophic failure of the electrode and nozzle.
ron678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 143830
The ground is just outside the machine rails. I cant hook it directly to this peice because my torch will hit it during the program. It makes no difference where the ground is. I can take the torch out of the machine and try and cut and it will fire and go out consistently. If I just hold the torch button down, it will act like its firing, but do nothing, the plasma cutter will think its established an arc and go silent.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
If it's nothing that we mentioned above, give Thermal Dynamics technical support a call in the morning, I'm sure they'll have an answer for you in about 1 minute.
HardcorewannabeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 143830
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcorewannabeXJ View Post
If it's nothing that we mentioned above, give Thermal Dynamics technical support a call in the morning, I'm sure they'll have an answer for you in about 1 minute.
Already done that. They say its the motorgaurd filter. I take it off, it still does it.

I have sent this back to them because the main board burned up in it. It's done it ever since I got it back. I stopped using it entirely until I got my CNC table.. I was basically told that my consumables were bad, so i replaced every single thing I could. Still does it.

I am starting to think my torch is broken, but I am extremely hesitant to drop 600 bucks on a machine torch only to have the same problem when i could have put that money towards a hypertherm.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Semi Newbie

Member # 108504
I just had to take my (2 months old) Cutmaster 82 in for repairs because of the very same problem, it would spit and sputter and sometimes fire. It seemed worse when it sat for a couple of days. If I kept trying it would eventually work. It finally quit all together So I got a hold of Thermal D. they insisted it was water in the line or bad consumables so I replaced all the parts in the torch and triple checked for water in the line (Nothing). Then I remembered my brother in-law had just bought a Cutmaster 52 for Christmas so I tried his torch on my machine, same problem and then confirmed that my torch was working fine on his machine. To make matters worse my local welding supplier said it was going to be 2 to 3 weeks before they could even LOOK at it I finally found a repair facility that says they will look at it next week. I hope I didn't make a mistake on the Thermal Dynamics unit, I guess we will see. (by the way T.D also said the machine was not design to work in temps below 32deg) mine is in a heated shop.

Last edited by skmechanic; 12-30-2010 at 03:28 PM.
skmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 143830
Quote:
Originally Posted by skmechanic View Post
I just had to take my (2 months old) Cutmaster 82 in for repairs because of the very same problem, it would spit and sputter and sometimes fire. It seemed worse when it sat for a couple of days. If I kept trying it would eventually work. It finally quit all together So I got a hold of Thermal D. they insisted it was water in the line or bad consumables so I replaced all the parts in the torch and triple checked for water in the line (Nothing). Then I remembered my brother in-law had just bought a Cutmaster 52 for Christmas so I tried his torch on my machine, same problem and then confirmed that my torch was working fine on his machine. To make matters worse my local welding supplier said it was going to be 2 to 3 weeks before they could even LOOK at it I finally found a repair facility that says they will look at it next week. I hope I didn't make a mistake on the Thermal Dynamics unit, I guess we will see.

Mine is worse when it sits. If I fight it for a couple hours it will start to work. I wish I could find someone with the same machine around here so I could try my torch on it.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 172100
Are you putting a water filter or water separator on the air line before it is connected to the plasma cutter. I have a Cutmaster 52 and I had this problem once but it was a grounding issue with the plasma cutter. So on the ground bus inside the plasma cutter I placed a wire like 10 gauge to the table to ground everything.
MetalHeadzFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 143830
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHeadzFab View Post
Are you putting a water filter or water separator on the air line before it is connected to the plasma cutter. I have a Cutmaster 52 and I had this problem once but it was a grounding issue with the plasma cutter. So on the ground bus inside the plasma cutter I placed a wire like 10 gauge to the table to ground everything.
I used to have two filters before the plasma cutter. It does not make a difference if there is one, two or none.

I know its not a grounding issue. I just went out and took these videos.

I took this one before disassembling the torch and making sure then start cartridge wasnt stuck. I took the 2nd one after i took the torch apart and confirmed the start cartridge was not stuck.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 146033
My 82 does the same thing, if I hold the trigger it starts to slowly spit out an arc here and there and they get longer and longer until it works correctly. I called and talked to thermal dynamics and they said they just put out an update for these machines because there is a chip in them that is very sensitive to cold weather. I am taking mine up to the service center in kent to have it fixed hopefully.

Last edited by pos97tj; 12-30-2010 at 04:50 PM.
pos97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 78096
The only time my 101 has done anything similar, it was the start cartridge needed replacing, but since you have replaced it I have nothing helpful to add.
Jeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Semi Newbie

Member # 108504
Quote:
Originally Posted by comeoutswingin View Post
I used to have two filters before the plasma cutter. It does not make a difference if there is one, two or none.

I know its not a grounding issue. I just went out and took these videos.

I took this one before disassembling the torch and making sure then start cartridge wasnt stuck. I took the 2nd one after i took the torch apart and confirmed the start cartridge was not stuck.

That is exactly what mine acted like

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos97tj View Post
My 82 does the same thing, if I hold the trigger it starts to slowly spit out an arc here and there and they get longer and longer until it works correctly. I called and talked to thermal dynamics and they said they just put out an update for these machines because there is a chip in them that is very sensitive to cold weather. I am taking mine up to the service center in kent to have it fixed hopefully.
I hope this is the problem it does seem like it has gotten worse as its been getting colder outside.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 159031
After watching the video's, I would check the connection where the torch hose goes into the cutter box,
ron678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 7410
wow, the chip issue sucks if that is the case. I have a cutmaster 52 and havent seen any of those issues. is it specific to the 82?
cobronco69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 146033
I dont know if it is specific too the 82 or not, when I called TD and told them what was happening they asked if it was in a heated shop because if not there is a chip that is sensitive to the cold and when it hits the 32 or below it gets glichy. They released an update for it that fixes the problem and you can get it done under warrenty at a service center. I am taking mine in here in a week or so, so Ill keep you updated as to if it fixes it. For now I will just stick a little electric heater on mine in the mornings until it warms up.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 146033
I put a little electric heater by mine this morning before using it for like 10 minutes and I didnt have an issue with it. Every morning for like 2 weeks now I have had the issue so I believe mine is definetly what TD was explaining. Try and stick a heater by your machine and let it warm it up a bit before you start and see, yours may be the same problem.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 143830
interesting.. it seems to make sense if it runs for a while that it starts to work fine. I'll take it into airgas monday and ship it off..
Old 01-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 47302
any one know if the cutskil 35 has the same chip, bought it used it 2 time and it almost had a date with a 12guage shotgun.it now sits in the corner
82 yota 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 146033
Sounds like you had a short somewhere. Check the wires in you plug at the wall and on the machine. I had one short there on one of my machines and it sounded like an m80 went off in the shop and poof it was done.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Semi Newbie

Member # 108504
Update

I just got the circuit board installed in my cutmaster 82 and it works as it should.
It was definitely the circuit board I tried it before and right after and its fixed. I had a problem with my local warranty center and talked Thermal Dynamics into just sending me the updated circuit board. It took about 30 minutes to install.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 146033
I should see if they will do the same for me, I dont want to have to drive it an hour north and be with out it for days so I have just been warming it up with a little heater in the mornings.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 404985
james

hi did the upgraded chip work in the thermal dynamics cutmaster for the cold weather problem? if so was it expensive ? i have a 2009 model cutmaster 25 3 phase and it has same issue. Thanks
jamz is offline   Reply With Quote