Figuring out where you are.... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Torchmate CNC Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 7410
Figuring out where you are....

Ive had to learn how to cut out some different things lately that dont let me cut a border out of the finished/usable material, so here is what I did.

Made a large square out of 1x1 angle that I can slide into the table and clamp down. I raise the torch up and use a ruler to make sure the y axis is running parallel on the square I made.

Simple enough.

Now, we draw the part. In this case, its 4 1.75 circles cut on each side of 2x3 sq tubing that is 36 inches long. The edge of the first circle is 4.75 in from the end of the material.

Then from there I can pull everything out and leave only the circles, which I took over to CAD lite and got ready to cut, ending up with:

I set the square up so I have room to move the torch where I need to with the first cut. Then, since its a circle, and it has to be the same on both sides of the material, I locate it on the steel, and make a square drawing that outlines the circle.

Then the next step is to walk the torch over to the bottom left portion of the square, and zero out the program. Once the program is set, we run a test without the plasma on, and I stop it in a couple of places to measure and verify everything is right.

Once Im happy with the placement, Its time to run it. If everything works out ok, you end up with:

I used the same method on some shelves I built. They were too long to cut, so I had the steel shop shear them, so they had the bookends built in. I was able to cut the right side of six shelves, then flip and turn and do the left side, then break them, ending up with:

I also did the hanger slats out of the 3" strap on the backs of the shelves the same way. Find the zero, run it, flip the piece, run it again.

Anyway, hope this helps. Let me know if I left anything out of confused anybody and Ill clarify the best I can.
cobronco69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 26393
Good stuff..

That's the same method I use for cutting the clevis/receiver holes out of my 2x4 Jeep bumpers. I have a piece of angle that bolts across the end of the table to act as my "stop" for the ends of the bumper to butt up against. I then stack some thick spacers up against the Y side of the table to make my fence.. slide the bumpers in place and cut. Flip them over and cut the other side. Makes dropping the shackle mounts and receivers in place a breeze.. and it's much quicker than cutting by hand with a template.

Once I extend my table to 8' (hopefully this weekend), I'll be able to cut my tapered bumper ends too.. nothing like CNC precision..
Old 01-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 29097
Thanks Clint! I added this to the how-to's thread.

[URL="www.sundogquarterhorses.com"]SunDog Quarter Horses[/URL]
SoundManCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 115338
In stead of finding zero the way you do, draw a rectangle representing the size of your square tube and position the lower left corner at 0,0 on your material guide. Draw your circles, make a path on the circles and apply a female tool path, then delete the original drawing including the rectangle.
Export the circles and import them into the driver software. When the configuration screen appears, instead of selecting lower left of tool path on the bottom left of the screen select x, y of import and zero out x and y.
This will place your circles based on the coordinates of the cad software, then all you have to do is position your torch at the lower left corner of your square tube and set program coordinates to zero.
Dnmeistr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Good stuff..

That's the same method I use for cutting the clevis/receiver holes out of my 2x4 Jeep bumpers. I have a piece of angle that bolts across the end of the table to act as my "stop" for the ends of the bumper to butt up against. I then stack some thick spacers up against the Y side of the table to make my fence.. slide the bumpers in place and cut. Flip them over and cut the other side. Makes dropping the shackle mounts and receivers in place a breeze.. and it's much quicker than cutting by hand with a template.

Once I extend my table to 8' (hopefully this weekend), I'll be able to cut my tapered bumper ends too.. nothing like CNC precision..
Me too!

But I still use the bandsaw to cut my tapered ends...
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com
10% PIRATE COUPON CODE (not valid for harnesses and PCM tuning): pirate4x4

2013 - Trail Gear Western Series Regional Champion
2013 - Smittybilt EMC Series National Champion

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, AllTech Motorsports, A1 Performance Transmissions and Converters, Randy's Racing Transmissions, PRP Seats, Reid Racing, Radflo, CBR Performance, Trail Gear, RuffStuff Specialties, LifeTime LED Lights, Rugged Race Radios, DynoMAX, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.