Thermal Dynamics PAK 15XC Plasma - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Torchmate CNC Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 188229
Question Thermal Dynamics PAK 15XC Plasma

We are seriously considering a TM system and getting our plans finalized.

We have a Thermal Dynamics PAK 15XC plasma machine left over from a tracer type system that was taken out of service some years ago.

We mostly cut 1/4" to 3/4" steel plate with some 1" occasionally.

Does anyone know of any problems we may encounter using this machine.
I've heard of some problems using "high frequency" machines with the TM.
I have no idea if this machine produces any frequencies that would interfere with the TM.

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks,

Rich
Richie_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 188229
Done a little research and it appears there are two ways plasma torches are started.
Pilot arc and High frequency.

The machine I happen to have is started with high frequency, so there is a possibility it may interfere with the TM.
We will have to see about that as the machine is very expensive and it will cut up to 2" plate. We have a project where I will need to cut a bunch of 2" plate. I sure would be nice to be able to do it with a CNC device.

If anyone else has any thoughts, don't hesitate to chime in.
Richie_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 157378
Keep the controller as far away from the torch as the cables will allow. Keep the controller lower than the table. You may need to wrap the cables in aluminum foil and you will need an earth ground close to the machine. The usb cable seems to be very important to shield. Then you need to drive at least an 8' x 5/8" foot earth ground into or right next to your garage/shop, like $8.00 at home depot or lowes. Buy the clips to attach the wires to the ground at the same time! The ground from the machine to earth ground, then to the table, I ran a smaller wire with an alligator clip to the material directly with the clip. Radio shack has ferret cable chocks that will cancel radio frequency. You may not need to do all of this, but the first step will be keep the controller lower and as far away for the torch as possible.Then go from there! You will know when things will not cut wright, or the controller kicks off line! Its all a process but I have the LONGEVITY 60I and it works like a champ! Hope this helps!

Last edited by TRC D; 05-12-2011 at 09:23 PM.
TRC D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 115338
With a high frequency plasma cutter you will need to drive a ground rod and it may require more than one, when you test your ground rod you want your reading to be no more than 1.5 ohms the closer you get to zero the better.
Dnmeistr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.