Air Compressor - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Torchmate CNC Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 194480
Air Compressor

Hey all, first off I want to say that I love the forum lots of very good info, researched the torchamte machines on here and made a purchase based on this section so keep up the good work.

I have a small TD plasma and am looking at getting HT Powermax 65 and am wonder how large of a compressor you all think I should get as well. The table is just a 2x4 so it really won't be running constantly and I don't want to throw money at something and do over kill on it. I currently have a craftsmen 33 gallon and was looking at perhaps an IR 60 or 80 gallon two stage...what do you guys think? I am doing light cutting like art type stuff and eventually what to have a side business sort of thing going....Thanks again!

Last edited by nulbmanager; 07-17-2011 at 08:40 PM.
nulbmanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 185144
Quote:
Originally Posted by nulbmanager View Post
Hey all, first off I want to say that I love the forum lots of very good info, researched the torchamte machines on here and made a purchase based on this section so keep up the good work.

I have a small TD plasma and am looking at getting HT Powermax 65 and am wonder how large of a compressor you all think I should get as well. The table is just a 2x4 so it really won't be running constantly and I don't want to throw money at something and do over kill on it. I currently have a craftsmen 33 gallon and was looking at perhaps an IR 60 or 80 gallon two stage...what do you guys think? I am doing light cutting like art type stuff and eventually what to have a side business sort of thing going....Thanks again!
From what I have been told, the compressor is not something you want to skimp on as far as size. I had a 33 gallon compressor too and that obviously does not do the trick. I went with the Husky (Campbell Hausfield) 80-gallon dual stage compressor from Home Depot. It was around $1100 or so. Fills quicker then my 33-gallon Craftsman and provides some nice CFM to do the trick. Will supply air all day.

Some people say they have to wait for 60 gallon compressors to "catch up". Just food for thought.

Last edited by jatepper; 07-17-2011 at 08:59 PM.
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3310
As already mentioned, the 33 gallon oil-less compressors won't work. I went with the Campbell Hausfeld 80 gallon from Lowes. I think it was around $800. It makes around 16 CFM if I remember correctly. Most plasma cutters use around 6-7 CFM. Even with the smaller 2x4 tables, you still go through a lot of air. I would definitely recommend the Campbell Hausfeld 80 gallon from Lowes.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
From what I have been told, the compressor is not something you want to skimp on as far as size. I had a 33 gallon compressor too and that obviously does not do the trick. I went with the Husky (Campbell Hausfield) 80-gallon dual stage compressor from Home Depot. It was around $1100 or so. Fills quicker then my 33-gallon Craftsman and provides some nice CFM to do the trick. Will supply air all day.

Some people say they have to wait for 60 gallon compressors to "catch up". Just food for thought.
This is the one I have and love it. Waited for a 10% coupon and bought it. Ended up being closer to $900 when said and done It's also a 175 psi compressor, so it doesn't cycle as often as a 120 psi unit of the same would.
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com
10% PIRATE COUPON CODE (not valid for harnesses and PCM tuning): pirate4x4

2013 - Trail Gear Western Series Regional Champion
2013 - Smittybilt EMC Series National Champion

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, AllTech Motorsports, A1 Performance Transmissions and Converters, Randy's Racing Transmissions, PRP Seats, Reid Racing, Radflo, CBR Performance, Trail Gear, RuffStuff Specialties, LifeTime LED Lights, Rugged Race Radios, DynoMAX, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15076
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
This is the one I have and love it. Waited for a 10% coupon and bought it. Ended up being closer to $900 when said and done It's also a 175 psi compressor, so it doesn't cycle as often as a 120 psi unit of the same would.
Are you guys using a mainline system regulator with the bigger 175psi units or do you just use a regulator at the end point/outlet?

I looked at regulators and it seemed like there was a pretty sharp increase in $$ when you step up over the 150psi range.
MQYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQYJ View Post
Are you guys using a mainline system regulator with the bigger 175psi units or do you just use a regulator at the end point/outlet?

I looked at regulators and it seemed like there was a pretty sharp increase in $$ when you step up over the 150psi range.
I went the other way, and adjusted my compressor on/off pressure....

My compressor goes into my HF dryer and then to my tank, and then from the tank into the M60 and out to tools. The HF dryer is only rated at 120 psi, iirc.... I honestly haven't seen any negative impact by doing this, though I was very hesitent in the beginning.
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, AllTech Motorsports, A1 Performance Transmissions and Converters, Randy's Racing Transmissions, PRP Seats, Reid Racing, Radflo, CBR Performance, Trail Gear, RuffStuff Specialties, LifeTime LED Lights, Rugged Race Radios, DynoMAX, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
Old 07-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15076
That's something I never even thought of doing. I ran into issues with pretty much everything in my shop when I upped the compressor to the big 2-stage Quincy. I blew the guts out of the reg. at my plasma and caused all sorts of issues with cut quality. A main line regulator is my to do list but I don't live and die by my air tools so a good reg. at the plasma is all I have right now.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 194708
I also just ordered a 2x4 TM and a Powermax 85 (can't wait til it gets here) and saw that my compressor is not enought. I found this one at Northern for $600 and will probably get it unless someone sees a problem with it.

Jason
Zydenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 194480
Yeah I was thinking and leaning more towards the 80 gallon model and was just curious what you guys thought. As mentioned on here and in other threads about dryers and separators...are those really that necessary for running the plasma or are the filters good enough???
nulbmanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydenet View Post
I also just ordered a 2x4 TM and a Powermax 85 (can't wait til it gets here) and saw that my compressor is not enought. I found this one at Northern for $600 and will probably get it unless someone sees a problem with it.

Jason
It will probably do fine at least for now since your table is a 2x4. If you had a 4x4 or larger I'd say save yourself the headache and moisture problems and get the larger 80 gallon 2 stage of your choice. I had a 60 gallon kobalt to start out and it kept up but it really worked its ass off for the 9-12 months I had it. With the 2x4 you won't likely get into really long cutting jobs (1hr plus) so it should have plenty of time to keep/catch up.

As far as the dryers being necessary. Every little bit helps and the dryer your air is at the torch, the longer the consumables will last. A lot of it depends on the relative humidity at your specific location, is your shop air conditioned?. If you are in a relatively dry climate and have anything else in your favor as far as drying the air in your shop, then a motor guard filter will probably be adequate. They are about $100 I think and have a replaceable filter element that is about 10 or 15. I've had mine installed for several months now and it has made a difference and I haven't replaced the element yet either.

Another thing to remember, the smaller your compressor, the longer it will run continuously. The longer it runs the hotter it gets and the more moisture gets pumped into the system. If the compressor is larger and the heat is kept under control, the moisture is easier to deal with as well. There will always be some heat and moisture, it simply can't be helped. But the less your compressor has to strain the cooler it will stay.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 145912
Kind of depends how much you are planning to use the compressor. If it is just cutting a few brackets out two or three times daily...then you cna get a compressor that is close to the plasma specs for pressure and flow. If the plasma is 6.5 cfm@90 psi...then the minimum size compressor to keep the torch running will be one with the same spec.

My rule of thumb for anyone that cuts a nest of parts (say more than 10 parts at a time) is that the compressor should be spec'd at twice the flow requirements of the plasma.....so for a plasma that draws 6.5 cfm@ 90 psi...get a compressor that produces about 13cfm@90 psi. The bigger the tank...the better. And, while you are at it spend the $10 or so at Harbor Freight for their auto-drain.....other wise, if you have any of the same traits as me....your compressor tank will be half full of water in no time!

I moved my compressor (which is an old Campbell Hausfeld 80 gallon tank with a newer 21 amp 1750rpm single phase motor and a Harbor Freight 13.8cfm replacement compressor head (usually $149 with free freight)) outside under the eves of my shop so it was quieter inside. My wife and her horses don't like it out there as well....but I can hear the classic rock on my stereo much better. Occasionally when the compressor has to start out there in the NH winter...often at below zero F temps....the 25 amp breaker trips. Every three to five years the chinese compressor pump fails....I order another replacement from HF and its good to go. How they can sell that compressor pump for $149 and pay the freight is beyond me.

Jim
jimcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 194708
As of now it's just a part time gig. An hour or 2 of work in the afternoon (20-40 small parts). Live in Louisiana so humidity is a big problem I will have to deal with. What should I use to dry the air? A/C in the shop may be a option (I would not have a probelm with this, lol)
Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:

Jason
The recovery time on that will be very high. 3hp motor is way under what you would want to see. IMO $600 is too much. I bet you can find the same specs elsewhere for less.
That said, IMO it's probably too small for plasma work. You don't have 1 a large motor or 2 large tank, so the thing will be running constantly while cutting. According to the specs it should just keep up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulbmanager View Post
Yeah I was thinking and leaning more towards the 80 gallon model and was just curious what you guys thought. As mentioned on here and in other threads about dryers and separators...are those really that necessary for running the plasma or are the filters good enough???
Filters are required. Dryer depends on where you live and water/air content that you have. But the ultimate for plasma is a dryer and sub micron air filter. Just doesnt' get any better than that...
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com

Old 07-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 20099
You can get that same compressor in blue or red at Lowe's/Home Deport for about $500.

Mine is a "Husky" and it's worked fine for my plasma cutter, though I don't have a CNC table. I have the compressor in my shed about 100ft from the garage. I ran 3/4" line underground from compressor to garage where I have it going into a ~30 gal oilless compressor (using just for the tank). I run the compressor at 150psi and regulate down to 120psi at the tank in the garage.

Quote:

Jason

Last edited by nate379; 07-18-2011 at 09:35 PM.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 10
I had a similar compressor, 60 gal Husky. I was completely happy with it for running air tools and a handheld plasma, but as soon as I got the CNC table hooked up it was obvious it wasn't going to cut it. It would run continuously, and I even had to pause the program every so often to let the thing catch up.

I now have a 2-stage IR 60gal. In comparison to the running-continuously single-stage 60gal, it runs for about 1.5 minutes for every 3 or 4 minutes of cutting. (and I have the pressure set lower than normal right now)
Old 07-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 194708
That helps me a lot. I'll probably go with the bigger 5hp 80 gal 16 cfm single stage from Lowes for 799 for now. Cheapest price I could find with those specs. Wasn't counting on having to get a air compressor so it puts me a little over budget. Guess I should have held off on the AVHC. Oh well, first job better be a big one or I'm be sleeping in the shop on the water table, lol.

Thanks
Jason
Old 07-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 3310
Quote:
That helps me a lot. I'll probably go with the bigger 5hp 80 gal 16 cfm single stage from Lowes for 799 for now. Cheapest price I could find with those specs. Wasn't counting on having to get a air compressor so it puts me a little over budget. Guess I should have held off on the AVHC. Oh well, first job better be a big one or I'm be sleeping in the shop on the water table, lol.

Thanks
Jason
That's the exact compressor I'm running, and it works great. Stop by the Post Office on your way to Lowes, ask them for the "Moving / change of address" packet. It comes with a Lowes 10% off coupon.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 194378
I think I am going with this one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/35-hp-6...ssor-3848.html
justinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 194708
The one from Lowers has been discontinued and is no longer available.
Will have to go with the Harbor Freight U.S. General 5hp 2 stage for $799. Although the U.S. General 3.5hp is tempting to try for $449. Same size tank and almost the same cfm.
Can't find the auto drain on their site anymore.

Jason
Old 07-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 10
Quote:
The one from Lowers has been discontinued and is no longer available.
Will have to go with the Harbor Freight U.S. General 5hp 2 stage for $799. Although the U.S. General 3.5hp is tempting to try for $449. Same size tank and almost the same cfm.
Can't find the auto drain on their site anymore.

Jason
Auto drain: http://www.harborfreight.com/Automat...Kit-68244.html
Old 07-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 185144
Quote:
As of now it's just a part time gig. An hour or 2 of work in the afternoon (20-40 small parts). Live in Louisiana so humidity is a big problem I will have to deal with. What should I use to dry the air? A/C in the shop may be a option (I would not have a probelm with this, lol)
I would get a refrigerated air dryer (search the forum for the Harbor Freigjt refrigerated dryer...works well) and run a motorguard filter too. Should take care of most/all of the moisture.

Last edited by jatepper; 07-23-2011 at 09:18 PM.
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 163388
just like the table and plasma cutter, go as big as your check book will allow

worse case, you pause your program to let air build
SomeGuyFromOlympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 194708
Thanks, what size Motorguard filter do i need? They have an M60 and M30. One is 1/2" and the other is 1/4". Guess I just need to know the line size going into the HT 85.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 194378
Quote:
Thanks, what size Motorguard filter do i need? They have an M60 and M30. One is 1/2" and the other is 1/4". Guess I just need to know the line size going into the HT 85.
I believe it is the M26

Last edited by justinside; 07-25-2011 at 08:30 AM.
justinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #25 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 194708
I found this also that looks nice. $140 . All in one. Not sure the CFM but should be above 20 if used with a spray gun. Anyone try it?