Moving Containers / Sea cans , Anyobody use Container Mobilizers or dollies? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2802
Location: Would it be Pacific North or Southwest... anyways north of the border
Moving Containers / Sea cans , Anyobody use Container Mobilizers or dollies?

Anybody ever use a Container dolly or mobilizer:

http://www.wenzlau.com/mobilizers_m720.htm

I know these are primarily Military use but I wanted to see if anybody has experience with these things before I look at one local for sale.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
old school idiot

Member # 86194
i know a guy that has one but does not use it. has a roller on the end of his goose neck and use a winch
51 willys 106" with some fast stuff
retired wheeler
wilez5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130003
Towing companies have Landoll or Trail-Eze trailers with traveling axles and tip beds so the back of the trailer comes down to the ground, and a (usually) 20,000 lb winch on front of the drop or maybe top, depends on how it is set up, but winch it on, strap it down and go, can tip it up and chain the container to something and drive out from under it, drag it off with a tractor, forklift, skid loader, or another tow truck.
Semi trailer rental places have special trailers for this and don't charge "that much" to deliver just for this application.
Harold Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 22595
Send a message via AIM to TOAdisco311
Those dollies are pretty interesting. How big of a container are you trying to move? I'm assuming there empty?

Can you actually attach those dollies to a container sitting of flat ground? I'm no help, but am interested in what your trying to do? I'd second the gooseneck/winch/forklift combo or use the above mentioned land-all trailer.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 74407
I just saw one of those trailers for the 1st time last Fri. at the local miltary surplus yard. From what I was told, they're designed to carry smaller enclosed cargo units. I dont think there is a way to connect them together though to tow a 40ft container. Dont think you could even tow a 20ft one with it.

EDIT: Im wrong. I saw a single axle trailer. I believe it does the same thing but on a smaller scale

Last edited by TireFryerSS; 10-13-2011 at 02:10 AM.
TireFryerSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 06:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 22301
I used the M1022-A1 quite a bit over the last year-year and half: http://www.cdkmobile.com/products%20full.htm

There are better units out there, but we got the m1022-A1's cheap and they were standard military units which was important, i work for DOD.

My experience is that when they aren't broken they work adequately on hard pavement. There are tricks to getting them to work on uneven ground, but moving 3k dollies into place by hand can be a pain.

Ours were definitely older units and not maintained the greatest, but we had issues over the time I used them from hydraulic leaks to problematic hydraulic valves, to air brake problems. Nothing that wasn't fixable. Ours had little diesel engines on them might have been kubota's. They were pretty reliable as far as we saw but noisy as anything.

Last edited by phillyzj; 10-13-2011 at 06:46 AM.
phillyzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 150595
Here is what we use. 40' deck, 8' tongue, 3 7000lb axles, 2 warn 16.5 electric winches, one under the rear, one in front, live roll on the back of the trailer. Was built for mooving Sea-cans, in the pic I'm hauling scrap. More pics of our set up in this thread.
/forum/canada/997297-real-canadian-scrapers.html

Nat

Last edited by nat_ster; 10-14-2011 at 08:36 AM.
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 106663
I have 2 of those dollies, one with Jeep wheels, one bigger with 9x20s. I got them dirt cheap from govliquidation before the minimum bid went up. They seem like they would work fine, I have not made time to try one out on one of my sheds, I have big enough steel I- beams laying around to make them into long "anything movers", have not got around to that yet either.
Filthy McChevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 22301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy View Post
I have 2 of those dollies, one with Jeep wheels, one bigger with 9x20s. I got them dirt cheap from govliquidation before the minimum bid went up. They seem like they would work fine, I have not made time to try one out on one of my sheds, I have big enough steel I- beams laying around to make them into long "anything movers", have not got around to that yet either.
the biggest issue other than reliability with them is backing up. It is possible to backup straight, but making a turn or any serious control is impossible as far as i know. At least with a standard truck hitched to the rear of the truck. You may be able to do more with a front hitch.

I have seen a setup with a 5th wheel setup on the front instead of tires. It seemed like a better setup for towing but I don't know much about it.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 106663
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyzj View Post
the biggest issue other than reliability with them is backing up. It is possible to backup straight, but making a turn or any serious control is impossible as far as i know. At least with a standard truck hitched to the rear of the truck. You may be able to do more with a front hitch.

I have seen a setup with a 5th wheel setup on the front instead of tires. It seemed like a better setup for towing but I don't know much about it.
Yeah, I figured that out pretty quick, it is worse than trying to back up a vehicle on a tow dolly, but I do have an old homemade Wrecker boom/sling so for precision backing I can just pick up the front end.
Filthy McChevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 22301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy View Post
Yeah, I figured that out pretty quick, it is worse than trying to back up a vehicle on a tow dolly, but I do have an old homemade Wrecker boom/sling so for precision backing I can just pick up the front end.
Ours have a lockout pin in the steering that you need to use for hooking up. We found out how important it is to remove it before driving away...twice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.