VRAY 2006 E450 - Ambulance Cummins Diesel Swap - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #51 (permalink)
Evil Twin

Member # 10695
Send a message via AIM to yager
now I'm considering nv4500 vs auto
minus the pedal issue what are the pros/cons here????
2006 Ford e450-RV/Ambulance
Stroke - Coumadin(warfarin) - INR - Heart Valve - Ask me (true story)
yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #52 (permalink)
$5 Fine For Whinin'

Member # 142381
Heres are my questions... If it's an NV4500...

Will your wife drive it?

Does it matter if she won't drive it?

Last edited by pic_jon; 11-16-2011 at 06:27 PM.
pic_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 86582
Quote:
Originally Posted by yager View Post
now I'm considering nv4500 vs auto
minus the pedal issue what are the pros/cons here????
Unless you have the foot width of a 5 year old good luck with that.
BassnTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #54 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Send a message via AIM to gavan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassnTruck View Post
Unless you have the foot width of a 5 year old good luck with that.
They made manual E-series vans till 92 or 93, there are factory clutch pedals for the new body style van. It is not the biggest pedal area, but the clutch fits just fine.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:26 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 83301
I love a manuel towing, but i feel like that would cramp the cab more than it already is with the doghouse an all.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:41 AM   #56 (permalink)
Evil Twin

Member # 10695
After discussions with my consultant I'm leaning back towards the 47RH trans. Lots of simplicity there and a rebuild with solid parts should make it hold up well. Not like I'll be drag racing the bus or anything...
Old 11-17-2011, 04:57 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 185461
Cool build, I've been following since the purchase.

For what it's worth, a good friend of mine has a 07 F350 w/ the 5R110, that tows a 18K 5th wheel regularly. He thinks the 5R110 is the best auto he's ever run before. In Tow/Haul mode he says the tranny is always in the right gear. The transmission is his favorite thing about the truck, he says he doesn't miss the NV5600 he had in his Dodge anymore.
FSJPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:51 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 196490
I love and hate your builds Yager! Good luck with this new phase of the project!
Old 11-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Loose View Post
I love and hate your builds Yager! Good luck with this new phase of the project!
just wait a few months, then maybe you can buy it 90% complete and finish it for your trip.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 196490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
just wait a few months, then maybe you can buy it 90% complete and finish it for your trip.

I can see myself spending money for my own on some idea he comes up with already! lol =)
Old 11-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 179963
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJPat View Post

For what it's worth, a good friend of mine has a 07 F350 w/ the 5R110, that tows a 18K 5th wheel regularly. He thinks the 5R110 is the best auto he's ever run before. In Tow/Haul mode he says the tranny is always in the right gear. The transmission is his favorite thing about the truck, he says he doesn't miss the NV5600 he had in his Dodge anymore.
I like my 5R110 in my SD while the 5.4 Trition is not a power house it works great while pulling mountains here in the easter us loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Loose View Post
Think that just about goes on every build thread ever started here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post

There ya go
Old 11-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #62 (permalink)
Dana 44 Polisher

Member # 13731
Quote:
After discussions with my consultant I'm leaning back towards the 47RH trans. Lots of simplicity there and a rebuild with solid parts should make it hold up well. Not like I'll be drag racing the bus or anything...
I towed alot with my 47RH at or above 15K (gross) with zero issues. I'd run another one for sure. They are dead simple and drive/shift pretty smooth for a truck transmission.
uglyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #63 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101209
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJPat View Post

Gotta agree with this. even without a exh brake it kicked ass.

my 08 with the tow haul on, and driving down hill as soon as you hit the brake it would downshift and bascially hold that speed down a 7-8% grade. thats towing a 40" 5ver either 12k or 16k # loaded.

A Nation of sheep will beget a Government of wolves.

Edward Murrow
DT75FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #64 (permalink)
Evil Twin

Member # 10695
The issue isn't with the trans so much as the controller to shift it stand alone. I've 'read' mixed reviews, and when I talked to Destroked and really wasn't impressed with the sales guy. Seriously.... if I'm gonna drop 3k in parts possible try to answer my questions..

me - So how many people are running the 5r110 behind cummins motors with the stand alone controller...
tick... tock.... tick tock..
4-5 seconds later...
me - are we talking 10 or 100
sales guy - oh ya, lots of em...

me - do you guys have custom tuning or do you get started off with a good solid tune thats not gonna wreck the trans.
sales guy - ya.... some folks like it the way it is, others say its not to their liking..

me - do you guys have any custom tunes you can share or what not ?
sales guy - well you can tune it on your own and stuff. Make the changes you want etc..

me - ok... bye...

PCS - might be the cats meow. but to bolt it to the cummins requires and $850 adapter plate, and $800 controller, you 'should' change the converter to a lower stall unit ~$800 for that, not sure if you 'need' the bilet' flex plate or if its a nice to have... add $600 for that... all this and I can 'tune it myself' I can handle the tune it myself part but I still need some guidance and advice on the do's/dont's etc..

I agree I was very please with how it shifted driving it home.. But a bad tune on the trans controller will make it a crappy trans pretty quick...

Maybe this is simple a case of just never hearing back from all the happy people out there and only unhappy web trolls post up... dono... Hard to spend money like that to find out for my self...

if someone in the know whats to contact me and convince me spending that much $ is a safe bet, I'll listen..... but at this point a 47RH is more of a sure thing... not to mention the t-case already attached to it...

and to be fair.... he (sles guy) did mention the 5r110 was hard to shift properly and they have much better luck with the 4r100 trans. They have that down solid...

so in my mind if you comparing the 4r100 to the 47rh both needing some beefing up, and one needing and adapter and controller to work the other nothing else... seems simple...

Maybe in 5 years shifting the 5r100 or 6R140 will be old hat and wal mart will sell a kit.. sweet...

Last edited by yager; 11-17-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:02 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 185461
Quote:
The issue isn't with the trans so much as the controller to shift it stand alone. I've 'read' mixed reviews, and when I talked to Destroked and really wasn't impressed with the sales guy. Seriously.... if I'm gonna drop 3k in parts possible try to answer my questions..

me - So how many people are running the 5r110 behind cummins motors with the stand alone controller...
tick... tock.... tick tock..
4-5 seconds later...
me - are we talking 10 or 100
sales guy - oh ya, lots of em...

me - do you guys have custom tuning or do you get started off with a good solid tune thats not gonna wreck the trans.
sales guy - ya.... some folks like it the way it is, others say its not to their liking..

me - do you guys have any custom tunes you can share or what not ?
sales guy - well you can tune it on your own and stuff. Make the changes you want etc..

me - ok... bye...

PCS - might be the cats meow. but to bolt it to the cummins requires and $850 adapter plate, and $800 controller, you 'should' change the converter to a lower stall unit ~$800 for that, not sure if you 'need' the bilet' flex plate or if its a nice to have... add $600 for that... all this and I can 'tune it myself' I can handle the tune it myself part but I still need some guidance and advice on the do's/dont's etc..

I agree I was very please with how it shifted driving it home.. But a bad tune on the trans controller will make it a crappy trans pretty quick...

Maybe this is simple a case of just never hearing back from all the happy people out there and only unhappy web trolls post up... dono... Hard to spend money like that to find out for my self...

if someone in the know whats to contact me and convince me spending that much $ is a safe bet, I'll listen..... but at this point a 47RH is more of a sure thing... not to mention the t-case already attached to it...

and to be fair.... he (sles guy) did mention the 5r110 was hard to shift properly and they have much better luck with the 4r100 trans. They have that down solid...

so in my mind if you comparing the 4r100 to the 47rh both needing some beefing up, and one needing and adapter and controller to work the other nothing else... seems simple...

Maybe in 5 years shifting the 5r100 or 6R140 will be old hat and wal mart will sell a kit.. sweet...
Good points, and my only experience was with a 5R110 backing up a 6.0 PSD I would probably go the 47RH route if I was in your shoes for the simplicity of mating everything together, as long as it was rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing.

Now hurry up and finish so we can see the end result
FSJPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #66 (permalink)
Evil Twin

Member # 10695
5.9 removed from donor truck. Wasn't too bad of a job.. Dropped tcase and pulled w/ trans attached..

Made a lo profile lifting bar similar to what I've seen others make or buy. I had enough room to sling chain on the bar for this pull. Bar is 1.5 x .120 square, with 2 1/4" tabs welded on each end for double sheer.

Now that I know where the pivot points are I'll weld on a few solid nubs on that can insert directly into the hoist for a lower lift height going into the van.

Since the truck is getting scrapped we cut to lower cross member out vs pulling oil pan or removing trans..

Name:  20111125-6BT-Outs 007.jpg
Views: 2482
Size:  98.1 KB

Name:  20111125-6BT-Outs 011.jpg
Views: 3038
Size:  88.7 KB
Old 11-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #67 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Send a message via AIM to gavan
It looks great on the ground. It will look better in the ambulance!
Old 11-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 11921
Cool stuff.

I will concur with the others, the 5R110 in my buddys dually ('05 PSD 6.0 DRW w/ 4.10s) was the best auto I have ever driven. Towed our two rig trailers up and down many passes and it did it's job well. You had to pay attention on speed downhill so it wouldn't upshift, but truly as long as you kept on it, it worked very very well.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 189941
Looks good, can't wait to see it in the ambulance!
Old 11-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #70 (permalink)
Poseur SUV

Member # 610
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
Quote:
A short recap on previous discussions.

It will fit, but length will be an issue, especially with trying to run stock mechanical fan.
Maintaining Dog House clearance will be key.
Several possibly exhaust manifold exist to help position turbo in an ideal location and orientation.
Cobra head exhaust outlet would solve ALL exhaust down tube issues.

Some pics...

Current 6.0l engine room under dog house...
Attachment 632425

cobra outlet
Attachment 632426

Older ford econoline diesel swap (w/ manual trans) clearly shows workable engine placement and turbo position.
Attachment 632427
Why not cut the floor pan and make your own dog house?
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #71 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 118558
Yager - You mentioned you were out the egr delete for the 6.0. What kind is it and do you still have it?

I was going to do it to my '05 when I got home next year, maybe we can work something out.

I agree on the ford tranny. Even with a nice tune it drives/tows very well in my f250.

Last edited by redheep; 11-26-2011 at 10:18 AM.
redheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #72 (permalink)
Evil Twin

Member # 10695
The EGR delete is on the motor now. Its a no frills delete kit w/ up pipe from Rudy's Diesel in Durham. We installed it in Tx so it could make the trip back. I'm still deciding on the tranny choice... I agree 110% it shits very nice... I'm just not sure on a few issues pertaining to the swap like the converter and the stand alone controller. Not spending much time on that for now... Spent some time on the interior today, ill post some pics in the RV conversion thread...
Old 11-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #73 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 118558
Gotcha.

Can you run a Ford computer and trick it into just running the transmission?

I'd like to learn a little before I tackle my own stuff on the '05, so if you need a hand after I get back in January, let me know. I'm an aircraft mechanic, so I'm probably not much help, but I can hold a flashlight pretty good.

Someday I'll talk 87manche into a cummins swap.

Last edited by redheep; 11-26-2011 at 05:41 PM.
redheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #74 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 34702
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheep View Post
Gotcha.

Can you run a Ford computer and trick it into just running the transmission?

I'd like to learn a little before I tackle my own stuff on the '05, so if you need a hand after I get back in January, let me know. I'm an aircraft mechanic, so I'm probably not much help, but I can hold a flashlight pretty good.

Saw a swap on another board where an OBDII ECM was piggybacked onto a OBDI ecm to control a newer transmission. It worked but not without a lot of work. In this case meeting the sensor input needs of the newer ford ECM with the older cummins may be very difficult if not impossible to get it shifting 100%.
EMG7895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheep View Post

f that.
466+13 spd is where I'm headed.

but that me2 guy says it's worthless on my MDT cause its a pile of shit.