how many run IDI's?? - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 04:03 AM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 196490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerTrash View Post
What happened to the dyno run on the 17th?
What he said....

Just had the PM finished on mine and it sounds much better than it did before. I think all the previous owners did was change the oil. =/
Old 12-30-2011, 06:46 AM   #102 (permalink)
FoMoCo MoFo

Member # 79002
He lost a freeze plug on the way there. He got that fixed, and now his pump is getting reworked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyJeep View Post
Oh fuck that! We can't have people worshiping an imaginary sky ghost in any other than the approved methods. Oh hell no! This here's 'Merica!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevrock View Post
Just checking in to see if somebody divided by 0.
Totalled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 196490
That sucks. Hope he gets things sorted soon. I'm looking forward to learning and doing more with mine in the future.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Loose View Post
What he said....

Just had the PM finished on mine and it sounds much better than it did before. I think all the previous owners did was change the oil. =/
did you sort your coolant leak?
Old 12-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 178579
That's a misleading title for this thread, as I drive the better IDI, and it isn't a Ford. It's a 6.2L from Detroit.
oldenginebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 205978
well you get the thing back up and driving, looking to get some more power out of the wheeler, want to see some numbers. just hit up a performance shop and get it dynoed
Old 12-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 196490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
did you sort your coolant leak?
Yep! Thanks for the reminder! I posted it in my thread.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 11139
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenginebuilder View Post
That's a misleading title for this thread, as I drive the better IDI, and it isn't a Ford. It's a 6.2L from Detroit.
Dustin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenginebuilder View Post
Enjoy your cracked... Everything.

Seriously, I hear about 6.2s and 6.5s with cracked blocks and heads, I've seen one with a cracked crank and corresponding main bearing boss, the pistons are supposed to crack too. All I've heard on the 7.3s is the cylinder walls will erode through from the water jacket inwards.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #110 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
So, 1badb2, talk to me about a mild turbo.

Can I bolt on something to get 8-10lbs of boost without having to restud?
Snail from a 6.5L?
Maybe add an intercooler to keep temps down?

I got 8+mpg (up from 6.5mpg) in my UHaul now with my 7-speed.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 78077
I am running a crew cab 4x4 IDI. Wont go back to cummins or PSD, Dirt cheap to own adn maintain.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 210149
Who is this Ken @ DPS.Is he from Michigan?I once delt with I guy named Ken who had a company named DPS.He had these 7.3PSD injectors called "Huge Jazz".They sucked!!!He was a young kid working out of his dads hog farm barn.I lucked up and got the stuff I ordered sent to me but others weren't so lucky.Does this so called Ken have a web site?

On this high HP IDI'd they are strong but do have a fatal flaw.Their pre-combustion chambers were ever designed to handle alot of cylinder pressure.So they are limited to the amount of boost they are able to see.I would love to see some one make 300rwhp out of one without propane or Nitrous.To make 500rwhp well I'll hold my breath on that one.IDI's are very good engines but old school design.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #113 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15263
Send a message via ICQ to 82F100SWB Send a message via AIM to 82F100SWB Send a message via MSN to 82F100SWB Send a message via Yahoo to 82F100SWB
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...postcount=1946
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...postcount=1970

Thats no power adders, and around 10 less psi than it builds on the street. The precups sure don't stop VW idi guys from making big dumb numbers out of their 4 poppers, 200+ is not that uncommon with a 1.6 VW, I have seen the numbers of 254hp, 513 tq whp thrown around as the biggest and baddest, but I have never seen the dyno sheet.
82F100SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 210149
I am not a big fan of dynos myself.I have seen the same truck with the same set up go from one dyno to the next and make 100hp+ more or less from the other one.Yes,no doubt the VW are tough,but the ones I have seen also have internal mods also,cranks,rods and so on.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 44595
Send a message via MSN to 1badb2 Send a message via Yahoo to 1badb2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
So, 1badb2, talk to me about a mild turbo.

Can I bolt on something to get 8-10lbs of boost without having to restud?
Snail from a 6.5L?
Maybe add an intercooler to keep temps down?

I got 8+mpg (up from 6.5mpg) in my UHaul now with my 7-speed.
I have been still thinking about how to go about offering stuff. It just isn't financially possible for me to build and sell turbo kits for what people are wanting to spend. However, it would be easier for you to find a used bolt-on turbo kit, and I can supply cam/valvetrain components, and fueling mods.

The valvetrain components and fueling mods will both give you more peak power/broader power range, and make your engine more efficient. Lessening chances of popping gaskets, and increasing longevity of the engine with running cooler temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #rawkon View Post
I am running a crew cab 4x4 IDI. Wont go back to cummins or PSD, Dirt cheap to own adn maintain.
I just wanted one because it was different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff-1972 View Post
Who is this Ken @ DPS.Is he from Michigan?I once delt with I guy named Ken who had a company named DPS.He had these 7.3PSD injectors called "Huge Jazz".They sucked!!!He was a young kid working out of his dads hog farm barn.I lucked up and got the stuff I ordered sent to me but others weren't so lucky.Does this so called Ken have a web site?

Interesting. Ken does sell an injector called "huge jazz" I think, but hes not a kid, nor does he work out of his dads hog farm barn.

On this high HP IDI'd they are strong but do have a fatal flaw.Their pre-combustion chambers were ever designed to handle alot of cylinder pressure.So they are limited to the amount of boost they are able to see.

This logic makes no sense. I can't come up with any other way to say it.

I would love to see some one make 300rwhp out of one without propane or Nitrous.To make 500rwhp well I'll hold my breath on that one.IDI's are very good engines but old school design.
My IDI dynoed 292/614 @ 28psi boost on 150cc's of fuel @ 29% coast down drag.

Thats 377hp/792tq for crank ratings - 207hp/477tq over the stock rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82F100SWB View Post
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...postcount=1946
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...postcount=1970

Thats no power adders, and around 10 less psi than it builds on the street. The precups sure don't stop VW idi guys from making big dumb numbers out of their 4 poppers, 200+ is not that uncommon with a 1.6 VW, I have seen the numbers of 254hp, 513 tq whp thrown around as the biggest and baddest, but I have never seen the dyno sheet.
Thanks for adding that Evan, I guess I forgot I had a thread here.

Quote:
I am not a big fan of dynos myself.I have seen the same truck with the same set up go from one dyno to the next and make 100hp+ more or less from the other one.

Because different dyno's measure differently, and when using a Mustang or any eddy current dyno is based on how honest the operator is.

Yes,no doubt the VW are tough,but the ones I have seen also have internal mods also,cranks,rods and so on.
You clearly didn't see my build thread if you think I just strapped some hillbilly turbo onto my engine and started shooting for some numbers.

Sorry if I come off as confrontational towards you, but your posts show that you didn't read my build thread. I have had to deal with your types of ignorant posts since the start.

Spare parts? If you're shooting your weapon to failure, it means you're really good to have stayed alive through that much combat. You're not fucked, You're just down a weapon, go get another off of one of the many dead bodies you created

Last edited by 1badb2; 02-21-2012 at 04:01 PM.
1badb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 210149
No doubt you have a well thought out build.I have re-built some IDI's and the ones brought to me that were hopped up suffered from cracked/busted PC cups.I don't doubt your power,which is very impressive to say the least.I wasn't trying to attach you though it might of sounded as so.But I do think there is better options then trying to build up a 6.9/7.3 IDI.Someone install a 5.9 Cummins in a truck for far less than $4000 and make the same power or more.I of course have more tied up in my build/swap.The IDI's are in my opinion one of the most dependable and longest lasting diesels out there.I look forward to seeing more of what you come up with.

On the Ken @ DPS issue.Well he most of grown up then.I dealt with him probably 7 years ago now.I bought the "Huge Jazz" injectors from him.Make alright power but way to smokey/high EGT's.These were how ever built by someone else for him.The ones he built for others the nozzles would break and pour raw un-atomized into the cylinders.I bought and new 7.3 PSD block from him and sent my HJ's back to him to check them out.Well months went by and no block or injectors.He wouldn't return my phone calls or e-mails.Well I did research online and found out where lived and the house phone #.Called the # and his dad answered and said he would get his son to get my stuff out to me.The block was raw casting not a big issue because I was going to machine it to my spec's anyways.The injectors were still in the same box but some how they had sand on them as though they were opened and left exposed to the outside.I didn't use them I bought different ones they became the cores.He also tried to build someone else's truck and ever did anything with it but leave it torn apart out in the yard.My friend Brian @ BWD ended up going to get the truck and finishing it.So,he must have become a better business man now.If you trust him good for you and others who may.As for me never again.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 44595
Quote:
No doubt you have a well thought out build.I have re-built some IDI's and the ones brought to me that were hopped up suffered from cracked/busted PC cups.I don't doubt your power,which is very impressive to say the least.I wasn't trying to attach you though it might of sounded as so.But I do think there is better options then trying to build up a 6.9/7.3 IDI.Someone install a 5.9 Cummins in a truck for far less than $4000 and make the same power or more.I of course have more tied up in my build/swap.The IDI's are in my opinion one of the most dependable and longest lasting diesels out there.I look forward to seeing more of what you come up with.

The pre-cups cracking are nature of the beast. They do this on stock N/A engines. There is a tolerance for them before they are considered non-servicable.

As for engine swaps, I could of swapped any engine in that I wanted to. I chose to build an IDI because nobody does. A CTD swap is not a cheap venture though. I priced it all out and the most expensive part is finding that good serviceable 6BT before you contact destroked. Is the 6bt a bad option? Absolutely not, probably the best option, but I didn't think it was cheap enough to think my IDI venture was a waste of time.

Spare parts? If you're shooting your weapon to failure, it means you're really good to have stayed alive through that much combat. You're not fucked, You're just down a weapon, go get another off of one of the many dead bodies you created
Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 210149
I read you post on PSN and posted there also.I have a lots of respects for what you have done.You chose the road less traveled and did what most thought was impossible.By the way your engine doesn't sound anything like your common IDI,your's is better.Oh,pre-cup issue I was referring to comes from the Hypermax 1200hp F100 in your post.I wish I could find the video of that truck,if you have never seen it it was awesome!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 04:03 AM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 192237
I may have just gotten an SAE flywheel housing for my 7.3, a starter to fit it [it is huuuuuuuuge compared to the stock ford one], a flywheel, pressure plate, and a nice big 4 button spring dampened friction disk.
All for $150.

Anyone got a link to a site with info on this kinda stuff other than the usual PSN and oilburners?

Last edited by [486]; 02-22-2012 at 04:04 AM.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 44595
Quote:
I read you post on PSN and posted there also.I have a lots of respects for what you have done.You chose the road less traveled and did what most thought was impossible.By the way your engine doesn't sound anything like your common IDI,your's is better.Oh,pre-cup issue I was referring to comes from the Hypermax 1200hp F100 in your post.I wish I could find the video of that truck,if you have never seen it it was awesome!!!
Yeah I seen you posted. Thanks for checking out the build and thanks for the comments.

As for the Max Legods IDI, I've seen a bunch of pictures but never a video. That would be wild to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
I may have just gotten an SAE flywheel housing for my 7.3, a starter to fit it [it is huuuuuuuuge compared to the stock ford one], a flywheel, pressure plate, and a nice big 4 button spring dampened friction disk.
All for $150.

Anyone got a link to a site with info on this kinda stuff other than the usual PSN and oilburners?
I don't know of any other websites off hand, but I would think the best bet would be to look for a website geared towards S1600's or something.

What are you trying to find out?

Old 02-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
All for $150.

troll the uhaul threads, specifically mt4runners.

lots of trans talk about what will bol up and what clutch parts you need to put an MDT tranny behind your 7.3
Old 02-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #122 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
All for $150.
I've got a 14" x 1.5" 10Tooth friction disc and a with good material on the pucks and a 14" push-type pressure plate if anyone needs them.

What are your trans plans? You have a zillion options with that SAE2 housing.

Quote:
Here.

Last edited by MT4Runner; 02-22-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #123 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
lots of trans talk about what will bol up and what clutch parts you need to put an MDT tranny behind your 7.3
If he has a push-type actuator on his MDT tranny, he's got everything he needs right there. (He will have some linkage work to do, just like Mr. Mindless)

If not a push-type, talk to National Truck Parts for the tranny side and Tennessee Clutch on the clutch/flywheel parts side. Contact info is in my build thread.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 71891
i got an idi. trying to get it to where i can keep up with the stock/mild-build power stroke guys when pulling 8k.

my built parts:
moose pump,
moose misters
electric lift pump - 7psi and 80gph
stock turbo with larger compressor wheel
3" outlet elbow and 3" downpipe
4" exhaust
'99 powerstoke intercooler
3" intercooler plumbing
crank case evac pump
should do 15psi.

that's right no head studs. we'll see how long it goes before i have to put a new headgasket in it.

if it's slow it's getting a better turbo, home made exhaust manifolds, and i'll see about fuel.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 44595
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam0o0 View Post
i got an idi. trying to get it to where i can keep up with the stock/mild-build power stroke guys when pulling 8k.

my built parts:
moose pump,
moose misters
electric lift pump - 7psi and 80gph
stock turbo with larger compressor wheel
3" outlet elbow and 3" downpipe
4" exhaust
'99 powerstoke intercooler
3" intercooler plumbing
crank case evac pump
should do 15psi.

that's right no head studs. we'll see how long it goes before i have to put a new headgasket in it.

if it's slow it's getting a better turbo, home made exhaust manifolds, and i'll see about fuel.
You're forgetting a turbo cam.